San Bernadino Terrorism and Radicalization
(01-05-2016, 05:23 PM)kandrathe Wrote: P.S. Obama's "wag the dog" executive action on guns will have zero impact on crime or mass shootings. It's more of a "I checked the box" for his historical legacy than anything effective. Which of the plethora of mass shootings were done with "gun show" guns? The guns from the SB shooting were possibly a straw purchase which is already against the law. Any gun dealer in the US must be licensed, and all purchases regardless of where they occur from dealers must have a background check. It does prevent a private collector or hunter from selling too many from their private collection in any year.

This isn't what I had understood, although this entire topic is well beyond the comprehension of most Canucks. I had garnered the impression that quite a lot of current firearms purchasers did not have to provide any form of background checks.

And (again from that baffled Canuck perspective) I would think that ANY baby steps towards more effective gun control would be a Good Thing™. Maybe not today or tomorrow or even next year. But even the drive to change attitudes towards drinking and driving took a generation to make inroads to the activities of the general populace. Rolleyes
Edit:
This would seem to contradict your highlighted assertion above about registration of gun purchases and any background checks.
http://gu.com/p/4fh93?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Or is there something I am misunderstanding?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Messages In This Thread
RE: San Bernadino Terrorism and Radicalization - by ShadowHM - 01-06-2016, 09:04 PM