Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean?
(06-24-2016, 03:59 PM)kandrathe Wrote: As we moved closer to the vote it felt more and more likely. Yesterday, if I had a spare pile of betting money I would have bet it on exit. The EU always seemed to be the best deal for the lesser economies, benefitting from the higher productivity economies. I never felt Britain fully thought of itself part of the continent.

The things that might hurt will be those like labor mobility, and potentially, a common currency. Yet, with the advancing in banking speed, pound to euro to dollar was never a difficult conversion as needed.

What we hear in the US is that the pro exit people are anti immigration. I have to believe it's much more complicated, involving economy, political power, judicial sovereignty, and so much more.

Probably most pro exit people were anti immigration, but there were also good reasons for a brexit....and good reasons to remain.
Anyway these things are of course much to complicated to let the common guy vote about in a referendum....I just hope people start understanding that.
In the Netherlands there are alsoa few political parties that want to have a referendum, but for completely different reasons....one is anti immigrant, the other finds the EU mainly a tool for capital and business to easier make more money. The last thing I agree with, the first thing not.
Cameron got elected because he told people he would have a referendum (to get the populist vote), he of course expected and hoped that the remain camp would win, making his position as leader stronger....he gambled and lost.
The first few election promises of the exit camp have already been broken by UKIP.
Remain supporters are collecting signature for another referendum......while Farrage from UKIP said before the referendum that if the vote was 48-52 he would ask for a new referendum as well.

If the Brexit is 'good' it is hard to tell.....but these referenda are just a very terrible tool for democracy.

Messages In This Thread
Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by kandrathe - 06-24-2016, 03:59 PM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by eppie - 06-26-2016, 06:35 AM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by Jester - 06-27-2016, 09:14 AM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by Lissa - 06-27-2016, 06:50 PM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by Jester - 06-28-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by eppie - 06-29-2016, 01:53 PM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by Lissa - 06-27-2016, 09:32 PM