Where does your political compass fall?
Pretty sure either I or someone else made a thread with this same compass some years ago. Anyways, I've come to find that many of the questions are piss poor - either cause they are too vague, they make (incorrect or lofty) assumptions, or they contain a false dilemma.

For instance, one of the questions I take issue with is this one:

"The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders."

I'm not even sure how to answer that, because the context is vague. Is it being asked in a moral or ethical context, or is it being asked in a real world sense? I assumed the former, and put "strongly disagree" since the question contains the word "should". But if its the latter, then I would say "strongly agree" because of the way the capitalist system operates in THE REAL WORLD and not based on some abstract idea - a corporations only goal is to accumulate more capital and ultimately generate more profits, at the expense of everything else. Of course, that is exactly why I am a communist, because I realize there is no reforming a system that cannot be reformed, but nevertheless I figured the question was probably being asked from an idealist standpoint.

There is plenty of other questions I had similar issues with. One such question is this one:

"A genuine free market requires restrictions on the ability of predator multinationals to create monopolies."

There is no such thing as a genuine free market. Anytime you have a system of social relationships that is fundamentally defined by class rulership and struggle, that requires a some sort of entity, usually a State, to maintain that relationship. Capitalism sucks with or without "regulations", but state intervention to some degree is almost always a requirement for its preservation. The question also makes the naive error in assuming that the reader accepts capitalism as a legitimate way for humans to organize themselves. Overall, a pretty dubious question.

Anyways...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=286]

https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where does your political compass fall? - by FireIceTalon - 05-23-2017, 04:35 PM