Freedom of Speech (did I miss something?)
Allowing free speech for white nationalists and Nazi types does NOT lead to free speech for all, but as material reality has proven ever so many times, rather LESS free speech and MORE violence. I've said it time and again - white nationalists should NOT have a platform for their views, because the consequences of doing so lead to more violence for everyone else. The poor woman who lost her life in Charlottesville to some nazi terrorist is but one in countless events that prove this fact. This article hits the nail on the head:

https://qz.com/1053957/charlottesville-n...-fascists/

Quote:Free speech absolutism is a faith.

So, sorry if I can't get down with the idealism of absolute free speech. Real world material realities simply prevent me from doing this, much in the same way the same material world realities lead me to conclude that there is indeed no higher deity watching our every move, and as a result I'm an atheist. I'm grounded in reality, not bourgeois idealistic fantasies. As stated in the article, you can make the most logical, articulate, and cohesive argument ever written for the concept of absolute free speech being one of the foundations to a fair and just society, but it STILL does not pan out in the real world.

Quote:But, somehow we've survived even allowing the most hateful donkeys to make asses of themselves.

Red herring. Just because the human race hasn't gone extinct because of said hateful views doesn't make them any less deplorable or any more excusable; or that they should not be challenged and censored. Many people have and still do die and suffer in a multitude of ways because of these views and rotten ideas that we say they should be allowed to express, regardless of how shitty they are. I'm sorry, you will never get me on board with this, cause again, free speech absolutism is an idealistic fantasy grounded in libertopia. Allowing free speech for nazis or white nationalists is politically an untenable position both morally and pragmatically.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Freedom of Speech (did I miss something?) - by FireIceTalon - 08-23-2017, 04:52 PM