On assaulting Nurses and Pro Football players.
(10-03-2017, 07:27 PM)Alram Wrote: If you are correct then most people who live there do not support independence from Spain

Sure about that? Wink

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2...-vote-live

According to this, over 90% voted for independence. Granted, less than half of the population casted votes since many voting stations were raided by police, but it's pretty safe to say the majority of Catalans favor independence.

Quote:Moreover, my points about language are relevant because you stated, "Why do they want independence? Because Catalans have their own culture, language..." You brought up the language, not me.

Yes, language is a part of their cultural identity, which many Catalans consider not to be symbiotic with Spain's. This almost certainly is the perspective for most of the ones who favor independence, which if the above numbers are correct, is an exorbitant amount. Whether most Catalans who favor independence speak their native language as their primary or not, isn't so important as that they view their culture, lifestyle, and national identity to be separate from that of Spains, even if language is a part of that identity. It is one of several reasons that many Catalans want self-determination.

Quote:I pointed out that Catalonia overwhelmingly approved the 1978 constitution because you made the incorrect observation that, "they never were a part of Spanish territory WILLFULLY." That is just absolutely incorrect.

Not incorrect. As a matter of fact, Catalans desire for independence stretches back well before 1978.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/2/1639...referendum

From the article:
Quote:At stake in the entire fight is the future of Catalonia, home to the city of Barcelona and one of the richest of Spain’s 17 provinces stretching from below the city of Tarragona to the French border. It has its own language (Catalan), education system, and cultural and literary traditions. The current Catalan independence push began roughly 80 years ago, when dictator Francisco Franco suppressed both Catalan culture and language, but some in the region trace the desire for autonomy back hundreds of years, to the inclusion of Catalonia in Spain in the early 18th century.

Quote:The primary reason some residents of Catalonia want to secede is the redistribution of wealth. It is odd that a communist such as yourself is opposed to the redistribution of wealth.

That's because you are conflating communism with social democracy/reformism. NOT the same thing. If you had a better understanding of what these two things are, it wouldn't seem odd at all. I am a Marxist, not a social democrat. Jester and Eppie would be the social democrats of the Lounge. There was a time when Marxism and 'social democracy' were synonymous terms, but that hasn't been the case since roughly 1914.

A Marxist perspective of the national question regarding Catalonia:

http://www.marxist.com/the-independence-...estion.htm

But, I am not sure if this will make sense to you. You probably need to go back and read some basic communist texts and literature (namely, the application of Historical Materialism and how/why it is central to Marxist thought), before you can understand a Marxist position and analysis on a complex issue like Catalonia. Or, some of the posts from the good folks over at Revleft.com - I'm pretty certain the differences between communism and social democracy/reformism have been discussed at great length over there.

"Redistribution of wealth" is a pejorative term and buzzword used by reactionaries to politically slander anything that is between an inch and mile to their left, and it has zero do with communism.

Quote:you should probably avoid making sweeping reckless statements about without full possession of the facts.

You may do well to follow your own advice Smile

I've had full possession of the facts throughout this exchange so far, with sources to back them up. You? Plenty of half truths and assertions, but less facts, and absolutely zero sources thus far.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)

Messages In This Thread
RE: On assaulting Nurses and Pro Football players. - by FireIceTalon - 10-03-2017, 07:54 PM