King's sword of Haste
One of your best bets is to look here:

http://members.core.com/~dfrease/JGFrame.html

This is the online version of Jarulf's Guide
It's got pretty much all the info you need to answer this and other questions.
(You'd want to look in chapter 3. Items, and chapter 5. Monsters)

Assuming you want a King's Bastard sword of Haste/Speed, as opposed to a King's Dagger of Same. . . .

The qlevel of the base bastard sword is 10, so Gris will start selling bastard swords to you at character level 8.

The qlevel of Speed is 17, while the qlevel of Haste is 27, so Gris will start selling you a Bastard Sword of Speed at clevel 15, and a Bastard Sword of Haste at clevel 25.

The qlevel of King's is 28, so Gris will start selling you King's Bastard Sword of Haste at clevel 26.

The trick is, Gris _starts_ selling those items at that clevel, but only in slot #6. You want to get him to possibly sell you the KBSoH in all SIX premium item slots, thus multiplying your chance of getting the item six times over, and he won't do that until you reach character level 29.

Wirt won't sell you a King's Bastard Sword of Haste as it is above his price cap. You could try for a KBSoSpeed, but Wirt would only sell that to you within a small clevel range -- see Jarulf's Guide to figure it out. Also, in Multiplayer Diablo the items Wirt sells have nothing to do with the difficulty setting you are playing -- just your character level. Same is true of Gris.

You can have KBSoH drop from a chest starting at dungeon level 14 and deeper.

Any monster mlevel 28 or greater could also drop it; see Jarulf's for the particulars. All the bosses you could meet on dlevel 15 (i.e., a Laz run + bosses) could potentially drop it, as could any creature (except Jim, the Black Knight in Diablo's room) on dlevel 16.

1. I've bought a KBSoH at Griswold's, and Red Vex has dropped a KBSoSpeed. (Both were in Normal games.)

2. The difficulty setting doesn't matter in obtaining said sword; this is true both of fighting and of shopping with Gris or Wirt. Just dungeon level and character level, respectively.

3. The best character level to shop for the sword at Grismart is clevel 29 or higher. When I bought mine I was clevel 48 and doing some shopping runs.

Just a reminder -- you should have cash or items worth about 94K when shopping at Grismart, as that is what a KBSoH will cost you -- 94,100 gold for maxxed stat one. Gris restocks his items if your character levels up -- everything moves "up" a notch -- and you'll lose the item in slot #1 (and slot #2? can't remember) if you go into the dungeon to try and raise more cash and your character levels up in the meantime. An easy way to carry around a big amount of "cash" is to carry Constricting Rings and/or a Demonspike Coat in your backpack, and sell them when you need the cash. Otherwise, when you do shopping runs, choose Nightmare Difficulty to be able to raise the cash quickly (by fighting low level foes in Church and Cats) without having your character go up a character level.

Messages In This Thread
King's sword of Haste - by TheKingofKewl - 08-07-2005, 11:31 PM
King's sword of Haste - by Necrotising(BD) - 08-07-2005, 11:52 PM
King's sword of Haste - by Brogden - 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
King's sword of Haste - by TheKingofKewl - 08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
King's sword of Haste - by Attika - 08-08-2005, 05:50 PM
King's sword of Haste - by TheKingofKewl - 08-08-2005, 08:24 PM
King's sword of Haste - by Nystul - 08-09-2005, 08:09 AM
King's sword of Haste - by TheKingofKewl - 08-09-2005, 10:25 AM
King's sword of Haste - by LennyLen - 08-09-2005, 12:13 PM
King's sword of Haste - by TheKingofKewl - 08-09-2005, 12:27 PM
King's sword of Haste - by LennyLen - 08-09-2005, 01:05 PM