"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11&
DC is also a very addicted city.
Pulse Check: Trends in Drug Abuse -- January 2004
DEA Briefs - Washington, DC.

I would offer as a counter argument;
Dutch Embassy Speaks out on Drug Use and Crime Statistics.
HRW: Incarcerated America

Quote:Guns pervade a culture of violence. Not provable by statistics, perhaps, but undoubtedly provable by that old tool, common sense.
_____ pervades a culture of violence. That blank could be filled with any number of words, like Poverty, Desperation, Addiction, Gangs, etc.

My proposed solution is to decriminalize drug use, and devote the efforts and resources to preventing illegal distribution and manufacture of drugs. Decriminalize marijuana completely, the "modern prohibition" is not working. Also, as you propose it is a social problem in that the disenfranchised turn to this lucrative criminal enterprise in an attempt to improve their quality of life.

:) I don't really need guns where I live and I don't like hunting. In fact, I don't really need to lock my doors. Like I said, most of the violence in my State is confined to the ghetto areas. Remove the ghetto's and you will see a reduction in violence to "European" or "Canadian" levels.

Edit: I did a quick survey of some of my friends asking an open ended question, "Why is there more violence in America?" -- here are thier ideas; 1] the attitude of the population towards authority and government, 2] Americans are more materialistic, 3] the police are ineffective and so people need to fend for themselves.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by kandrathe - 08-04-2004, 09:06 PM