Freedom!
Hi,

But back then I was only a child and cities was all I had known (Florence, London, New York).

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Oct 18 2003, 11:07 PM Wrote:But back then I was only a child and cities was all I had known (Florence, London, New York).
Sucks to live in the city eh?

When I'm fit and able I'm gonna find myself a nice little place in a quiet place outside of any city...
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Oct 18 2003, 09:19 PM Wrote:Sucks to live in the city eh?
It depends on your city and on your temperament.

There is such a thing as taking a bit from each. House in the city, where there are restaurants that will actually serve something other than 'Mom's special hot beef sandwiches', theatres, museums, live music, stores with (gasp) selection, winter snow plows that arrive before you have to leave for work, etc. Cottage in the country, where you can live a quiet life.

I have lived in the country. I have lived in a small town. I have lived in a big city. And I LIKE my city. It offers services that I cheerfully pay high property taxes and an inflated house price to get. Having said that, having a cottage to retreat to is my sanity check.

If your temperament is such that country life would be fine for you, so be it. But don't sneer or feel pity for those who choose otherwise.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I'd have to agree. It really depends on the person. Some people manage to be miserable anywhere. :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Oct 19 2003, 04:50 PM Wrote:I'd have to agree. It really depends on the person. Some people manage to be miserable anywhere. :P
Abe Lincoln said:

Most folks are just about as happy as they decide to be.
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

ShadowHM,Oct 19 2003, 12:11 AM Wrote:
TaiDaishar,Oct 18 2003, 09:19 PM Wrote:Sucks to live in the city eh?
It depends on your city and on your temperament.

There is such a thing as taking a bit from each. House in the city, where there are restaurants that will actually serve something other than 'Mom's special hot beef sandwiches', theatres, museums, live music, stores with (gasp) selection, winter snow plows that arrive before you have to leave for work, etc. Cottage in the country, where you can live a quiet life.
Though I do not have a vehicle and can barely afford the rent, I find where I live to be ideal. This is a rural township (very) near a cosmopolitan small town. I have (in good weather when the stream's not high) a ten minute walk to work through wetlands where there are deer, herons, groundhogs. I even met an endangered wood turtle a couple of weeks ago.

Yet I am in walking distance of downtown (less so as I get older) where we have a world class art museum and libraries, and arguably world class theater. Decent symphony and opera, stores and restaurants. Four U.S. presidents have lived here, two signers of Declaration of Independence. The U.S. congress used to meet here as well. More parks and battlefields than I can count. I spent yesterday with my granddaughter in one of the newest parks. And the sky is even resonably dark at night.

In bad weather I have two pair of snowshoes.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Oct 19 2003, 07:01 PM Wrote:And the sky is even resonably dark at night.
Now that does make me envious.

Not a lot to see in the night sky in the city. :angry:

At the cottage, well.......

After a polite chat with the fellow across the bay with the poorly aimed spotlight on his dock that could make shadows on my waterfront :blink: , all is well again, and the night sky is a glorious thing. My favourite is moonrise, although the monthly time slots where this occurs both at night and at a time when I can manage to be awake for it are small in number.
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

It's such a shame I can only see six stars in the sky and 3 of them happen to be airplanes. :unsure:
Quote:And the sky is even resonably dark at night.
What do you mean by that? Are you saying you don't have a dark night...? Or that you can't see the sky in there or what?
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
In the city, the bright lights prevent anyone from seeing the actual night sky. :). The only way to view the stars is to go somewhere far away.
TaiDaishar,Oct 20 2003, 12:56 AM Wrote:
Quote:And the sky is even resonably dark at night.
What do you mean by that? Are you saying you don't have a dark night...? Or that you can't see the sky in there or what?
Darker than New York City but not as dark as north west Kenya.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Archon_Wing,Oct 20 2003, 08:26 AM Wrote:In the city, the bright lights prevent anyone from seeing the actual night sky. :). The only way to view the stars is to go somewhere far away.
Wow, now that really must suck...

When I go out ( and I usually do it at night ) I love to look upon the night sky painted with many a star... for me not being able to see the sky as they are can really hurt...
Hi there. I can't pretend I'm really interested in stars, but I do miss having a dark night. I live on a military camp so there's quite a lot of lights about. Makes getting to sleep a pain in the ass. >_<

As for the freedom issue, it all depends what you want. I could spend 3 weeks indoors and not be too bothered by it, while on the other hand I could spend 3 weeks working out in the desert and not be bothered by it either. A slight twist on 'only boring people get bored' I say. We can all sit and question what we have, but as is often the case, this supposedly new found freedom could very well be artificial, a mask to cover a temporary build up of conscencus feeling. Either way, it will benefit you by serving as function to help you stay happy in your life and who you are. ;)
Visit Neoseeker. Smile