Hello all!
B) Hello all current and former Diablo addicts! B)

I just rediscovered the Lurker Lounge (thought it had long ago disappeared into the great beyond known as real life). If you don't remember me, I am the host of Freshman Diablo. I hadn't played Diablo or D2 in some time but still keep the site up for anyone who wants to read it (especially all you bargain bin hunters who are just discovering the joy that is Diablo). I have spent most of this year in a nursing home dealing with some chronic wounds so boredom has been the norm. I decided to load up D2 on my sanity saver (read laptop) for some giggles and discovered the Lurker Lounge was in full bloom again while browsing the Summit for game play info. I hope all has been well in the Diablo community.

Bolty - Great to see the site is going again. It is a beautiful thing indeed. Keep up the great work.

May all your item hunting sessions be fruitful!

LochnarITB
www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/diablo.shtml
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
DUDE!

*scrapes together the Diablo History Project*

Is there anything you can tell me about Freshman Diablo? How it got started, who had the original idea(s) for it, etc.? I've been working on a Diablo Timeline (maybe still up at http://pirengle.diablosc.com) and Freshman Diablo factors greatly into D1 history. :)

Nice to meet a golden oldie! :P
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Quote:Freshman Diablo factors greatly into D1 history.

I am glad so many found (and still do?) the site useful. I wanted to give back to the game I loved so much and to the people that had made it a community in its own right.

Quote:Nice to meet a golden oldie!

You don't know just how well that title applies! ;)

There really isn't a lot to tell. I think it was at least a year after Diablo came out that it came to be. I followed the old DSF (Diablo Strategy Forum) daily for quite some time but never really felt I had much to contribute so I fit the title Lurker quite well. There were always a similar set of questions that were being asked and I and others had grabbed the best responses to them to cut and paste as replies. This worked OK but people started suggesting that Blizzard include a link at the top of the page to a FAQ of these responses. Blizzard never bit on the idea.

About that time, I had decided that I wanted my own site to play around on (sort of like Bolty's reason for the creation of what we know as The Lurker Lounge - although I never did much with mine unlike Bolty). I was a computer jack-of-all-trades (programming, network/hardware/database setup and administration) at a small insurance administrator. I had a project for a small call center with an unreal deadline for going live. In a message to the client's IT person I expressed some frustration by closing with the name of my fictional software company - AreWeHavingFunYet Software, Inc. That name stuck with me, therefore the URL for my site.

Because I wanted to actually have something real to host, I volunteered to host Diablo 101 - the name it started with. I soon found out that name existed so it was changed to Freshman Diablo. I first contacted Armin to ask his permission to use his posts as he had several very good ones. As people started using it, they would suggest other posts, both old and new, as suitable for inclusion. A few people even wrote guides with the express purpose of being hosted on the site. Luckily, I only had to turn down one or two - not a fun thing to do. Eventually Freshman Diablo became the defacto FAQ for the DSF. I even found that several sites took postings that I had set up and posted them as their own. One even went so far as to copy the whole site and put their own name on it. :blink: I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

That's about it. Guess I had more to say about it than I thought, ramblings of a Golden Oldie hitting the switch of the wayback machine.

Lochnar[ITB]
http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/diablo.shtml
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Great to see you still among the quick, hope all is well. :D
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Great to see you still among the quick, hope all is well.

Great to see you still around too. You were one of the names that popped out at me immediately and brought back the sense of community. Have to say that all has not been quick or well for me lately but everything is getting better every day. At least laying around here every day gives me the chance to indulge my gaming habit. B)

Good day and happy gaming,

Lochnar[ITB]
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I forget your time zone, brain recalls something Left Coast, but are you in the ready willing and able mode to do a bit of TCP/IP on the beta for the Diablo II Lord of Destruction thingie?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I guess I would be called a non-coaster - Minnesota born lifer here. Thanks for the invite but have to decline. While I'm holed up here with all the loonies and drug addicts I'm using an AOL dialup (read connection sucks! :( ) so I wouldn't even attempt any online play - single player is the best I can muster. When I get back to my real connection (love my DSL) I'll keep an eye out for you for a game or three. I'm reverting to 1.09 for a while anyway. 1.10 seems to have a bad case of the town drop munchies that I didn't remember from the earlier versions - I've lost all my drops after stepping out of town for only a minute or two several times already in the couple hours I've tried it so far. :angry:

Enjoy your gaming - say hi to any of the other oldtimers you might run into.

Lochnar[ITB]
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hi!

I suppose the void was kind of a bad place to stay, so have fun staying here. :D
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
It's good to "see" you again! You had posted at least a little bit about some health problems before, so when you stopped posting, I did wonder if everything was OK. I hope your health is improving, and in the mean time, it sounds as if you're making the best of it. :)

I think it was Pete who once said that almost every question about Diablo could be answered with a link to Jarulf's Guide or a link to Freshman Diablo. It's great that your site is still avaliable as a resource. Thanks again.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete