The Player's Challenge
Quote:I don't think you should "clean up" the archive, just put a disclaimer on it. Most of its value is the state of knowledge of Diablo in late 1997... some of it is now known to be wrong, or some shows how primitive D research was at first.

I see what you mean. It does have historical value for those interested in Diablo history. However, my interest in it relates to its value to newbies today. I don't like the idea of them having to sift through outdated information that they might not even know to discard. Even if I mark things as outdated, there are plenty of people who don't pay very close attention.

Quote:The Archive can show how much we did NOT know in those early days.

I hadn't thought of archiving it as a historical text, primarily for the reason outlined above. The only opposition I'd have to doing so boils down to "What happens if this comes up again?" Which sites should be preserved as historical and which shouldn't? For example: Should I go snatch up Woody's old stuff and host that, too?

That's my dilemma. I'd prefer to simplify the problem by hosting just the stuff that's relevant to newbies today and letting the Wayback Machine do the rest. However, Ducky's compiling a "Diablo Timeline" of some sort; perhaps she would be interested in the less current information. Would that be acceptable?

Quote:One note, tho, is that it is possible that the entire Archive did not make it to the Plain Guide-- a couple of the files were bigger than the geocities editor allowed (ah, those primitive days.) I dunno if Lemm has the copies of all the files, and whether all the files still exist somewhere.

I have the following files (found via Wayback Machine):
abbrs
archiv
carchiv
diablo
diahumor
diatech
hellfaq
items
marchiv
multi
rarchiv