Toys for Iraqi kids - Link
I am a sometime reader of a weblog by an American GI in Iraq. He goes by the online pseudonym "Chief Wiggles" and writes regularly about happenings in Iraq. (see http://chiefwiggles.blog-city.com).

Chief just related a story about giving away some toys that some friends had sent. He made the throwaway comment that he wished he had more toys. Apparently he got a lot of e-mail about this, and so he set up an APO address to receive any donated toys (that's a local U.S. address for soldiers overseas, you can send to the APO, regular US shipping rate, and they will put packages on military transposrt to take to Iraq -- i.e., you don't have to ship it overseas which is expensive). For his discussion of the toy project, see http://chiefwiggles.blog-city.com/read/234561.htm

There are restrictions on types of toys. To quote:

Quote:Some no no toys:

Any guns of any kind
No violent action hereos
No violent toys
No barbie dolls or dolls skantily dressed
No toys that shoot something, no projectiles
No water guns
Lets just keep it simple, simple toys, just the basics, these kids have
nothing.

Some other items that are nice are pencils, pens, paper to draw and color on.

Toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, brushes, combs, etc.

Nice stuffed animals, other items.

Just use your good judgement, and if you are unsure, contact a local muslim group for help.

I thought this was a good idea and a good cause. I've lived in places where kids have no toys and seen how excited they are to have just one or two toys.

I realize that there are obvious trade-offs to donating via Chief Wiggles versus donating via the Red Cross or Catholic Charities or other routes. This route helps out children in one part of Iraq only. On the other hand, Chief wrote that he was upset that some aid ended up being sold, and that he would personally make sure each toy (except any inappropriate ones) got into the hands of an Iraqi child.

Oh, I had better put the APO address on here:

Chief Wiggles
CPA-C2, Debriefer
APO AE 09335

That's it!

(see also link to Wiggles original journal entry about Iraqi girl and toys - it's long meandering journal entry about the media and other topics as well, the story about the girl is about 2 pages down, in the middle. http://chiefwiggles.blog-city.com/read/229660.htm ).

Edit: Fixed link
I cut and pasted the gist of your message with excerpts from his blog, posted it here in my office and e-mailed it off to my family and friends. I think there are many around the world who care and are capable of helping, but few who know exactly how to help. Thanks.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

May wrap some of the toys in some outgrown but in great shape clothing. :) I was just thinking last week about something along these lines, and am pleased that you posted this. A chance to turn a whimsical thought into action, much obliged.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
goldfish,Sep 23 2003, 09:42 AM Wrote:Oh, I had better put the APO address on here: 

Chief Wiggles
CPA-C2, Debriefer
APO AE 09335

That's it!
There is an extra line listed in the address. It may have changed since you posted it:

Chief Wiggles
c/o Chaplain CPA
CPA-C2, Debriefer
APO AE 09335
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."