What exactly is Life Drain?
I can't find this in the Forums, or in battle.net write ups. But what is Drain Life?
Always remember, wherever you go, there you are.
The opposite of 'replenish life'. You lose life by x amount per (second?) - can be countered by wearing, of all things, replenish life. :)
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
X amount per 10 seconds, I believe. It won't reduce you to zero
All I'll say is THIS: I've had plenty of level 15 chars make and use Malice weps. I never detected them losing even a single point of life, be they Zon Druid or whatever. And no, they had no life-regen equip on them at all.

Malice's life drain is a hollow, baseless threat. About as substantive and scary as Ted Kennedy's ravings about Social Secuirity being robbed in order to give tax breaks to the rich... <_<

NOTE: Yeah sorry Tiff, I'm too lazy to make my own acct here, okay?? Hey, marriage is about two people becoming one flesh etc etc :lol:
"Drain Life" is really the same thing as "Replenish Life"; it just uses one label for when it's positive and the other for when it's negative.

Is it really X damage per 10 seconds, though, or X bite damage per frame (which would translate to about .98 * X damage per 10 seconds)? The actual numbers are very similar. The latter would be more logical to me, but the former gives an easier estimate of the total amount. Which is really "correct"?
I've had an assassin with a Malice Claw sit in town, and I watched the life orb slowly but steadily decrease. As this was in HC, I did not wait to get to 1, so I got Atma to heal me, then I changed circlets to one with +5 life regen. No further problems.

Changed claws, it went away too in a different game.

In mercs, they already have +life regen, Malice does not overcome it.

Are your referring to 1.09 or 1.10? My experience was in 1.09.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
It's not damage being inflicted, it's setting the life regeneration value to a negative (as in Poison damage). Otherwise, you'd be getting Blocking (if applicable) and Amazon passive defenses, as well as Hit Recovery factors in the equations.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Well, I created a Malice Axe in 1.10 beta, and watched my life orb. It does drain, both in town and outside of town.

So now we know. ;)
Always remember, wherever you go, there you are.
Think of the Constricting Ring (if you a: found one in D1, b: play a mod that enables it in D2, or c: got a cheat one). :D That reminds me, do you think they'll enable the constricting ring? Only toned down a bit.
Given the results of everyone else's testing (and my own as well), I believe that your analogy is extremely apt ;-)