Have I discovered a bug?
Ok I am a lurker but I registered because something just happened that I want to post about to see if this has happened to anyone else.

I am trying to craft a pair of IAS / Knockback gloves for my new Amazon, you know blue chain gloves + ort + Perf sapphire + Jewel? I have had a few unsuccessful tries in nightmare difficulty, so I am wondering if obtaining the gloves in a higher difficulty level makes any difference?

Normally, I buy my gloves from Gheed in Act 1. He always seems to have at least 1 pair of chain gloves for sale and its a lot quicker than finiding one. Like I said, the results so far have been just very poor so I thought I would try hell. I just join a hell game and run over to Gheed (after I kindly open the cow level for some people even though I am not doing cows hey it made me feel good). No chain gloves for sale, whats this? I try Charsi, nope no chain gloves there either. OK I think no problem and waypoint into Lut Golein. Run up to Tyra? (can't remember her name, Paladin girl) nope no chain gloves again. So I run over to Elzix? (Innkeeper guy). First, the item screen takes ages to load, I think maybe my game has frozen. Maybe not that long, a second or two but normally it is instant. Anyway, STILL no chain gloves! Then when I close the item screen, I get a YOUR CONNECTION WAS LOST error. Worse still, I try to log back on and REALM DOWN!!!. I figures its just Bnet having some problems as usual so I read the forums for a bit, log on again after maybe 10 minutes with no problem.

I try the exact same thing again. Gheed has no chain gloves. Charsi has no chain gloves, (you can guess), Tara has no chain gloves, try Elzix again and BAM, exact same problem, CONNECTION LOST!!

So OK I have a question. Is that just bad luck / coincidence, a known bug or did I really do something wrong?

As a PS, if anyone who has successfully managed it could tell me how they crafted their IAS / knockback gloves I would be very grateful. Does it matter where you get the gloves from? Is it better to buy them or find them, if so, where?

Many thanks

~J
Elzix is bugged in 1.09. The trade menu generates a massive amount of items. That's what caused you to drop.

Crafted chain gloves always have knockback, so you'd only have to randomly roll the IAS. You need an alvl of 43 to get 20% IAS. For chain gloves, that means you need an ilvl of 49. That means that if you want to craft chain gloves with IAS, floor(clvl/2) + floor(ilvl/2) must be at least 49. If you buy gloves, the ilvl will be equal to your clvl, except that it's capped in normal. If you gamble gloves, their ilvl will be equal to your clvl plus or minus a bit. And if you find them off a monster, the ilvl will equal that monster's mlvl.

If you do craft chain gloves under ideal conditions, the probability of getting 20% IAS will still just be 4%, so don't count on getting it on the first try.

Also note that if 10% IAS is okay, all the numbers are different.
I always gamble for the base items I need for crafting.

As for Elzix, i don't remember being crashed out of the game by him, but yes, his trade window takes longer to open than the others.
Thanks for the help guys, its good to know that this is a known problem and not something wrong with my system or software. No more shopping from Elzix for me!

You seem to be saying that it doesn't matter where I buy my chain gloves, the ilvl is only dependent on my clvl, not the difficulty, right? In that case I can still buy them in nightmare and have a chance of getting IAS, so long as my level is over 49?

In the meantime, I am now looking for more Ort runes, I have run out!!

I am also going through the very tedious process of leveling my Act2 Might merc, what a bore!

Thanks again

~J
If you buy gloves in nightmare or hell, then yes, the clvl of whoever generated the store's inventory is what determines the ilvl. So nightmare is as good as hell. And as long as you're over level 49, items you buy and then craft have a chance to get 20% IAS. Ort runes are fairly common from nightmare and hell countess, if you want to specifically look for them instead of just hoping some will drop.
Shopping creates items with a higher ilvl than gambling, and so is generally better for crafting (you enable higher level affixes)
Thanks again guys. I have managed to craft a pair of 20% IAS / Knockback gloves after about 5 tries. The other mods aren't too great though, so I am still looking for more Ort runes. Funny how they never seem to drop when you are looking for them! I will try a few nightmare countess runs I think, hell is pretty unpleasant with all those phys immune ghosts down there, brrrrr!!

Cheers

Jon