Joaquin Phoenix
1. Drugs
2. Insane
3. PR-stunt
4. Genuine

What do you guys reckon? I showed the Letterman-interview to a friend of mine who's familiar with the effects of various narcotic substances, and he was pretty sure it was drugs. Then again, Phoenix *is* a great actor.

I'm curious to see what you guys think. Most people I've spoken with think it's a PR-stunt done to promote the movie, or an entirely different project. Seems bizarre though...
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Angel' date='Feb 17 2009, 09:35 AM' post='161738']I'm curious to see what you guys think.
He seemed lucid to me, although a little dull. It could be from booze or even jet lag.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Angel' date='Feb 17 2009, 08:35 AM' post='161738']
1. Drugs
2. Insane
3. PR-stunt
4. Genuine

What do you guys reckon? I showed the Letterman-interview to a friend of mine who's familiar with the effects of various narcotic substances, and he was pretty sure it was drugs. Then again, Phoenix *is* a great actor.

I'm curious to see what you guys think. Most people I've spoken with think it's a PR-stunt done to promote the movie, or an entirely different project. Seems bizarre though...

Not a PR stunt. At least most definately not for his new movie. There is nothing about his interview or any of the stuff surrounding it that would lead people to be more likely to see that movie. Now it may be a PR stunt for Him, but definately not the movie. In fact i'm sure the studio and marketing department is pretty annoyed with him right now.
completely utterly contrived. Nothing about this is real. Watch the end of the letterman clip. he turns and smiles and pulls the glasses off to talk to letterman.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:Angel' date='Feb 17 2009, 07:35 AM' post='161738']
Then again, Phoenix *is* a great actor.
No. He is the flesh version of a container of fluid feminine hygiene product.

Walk the Line wasn't a bad film, but for some of us who grew up with Johnny Cash as part of our world, our cultural baseline, his pretensions bordered on the offensive.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:No. He is the flesh version of a container of fluid feminine hygiene product.

Occhi

/cast Phoenix spell, and raises topic from the ashes.
/Casts Advanced Phoenix Spell, and puts on beard and glasses, and raps, badly.

Seems like this, whatever it is, it's contagious.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/...0,5998569.story

Here's the audio version if anyone's interested, in the podcast page.

http://www.cbc.ca/q/pastepisodes.html

specifically
http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/qpodcast_20090408_14110.mp3

I don't know how good of a musician Mr. Thornton is. But at the end of that clip the band sans' Billy Bob, sounds decent enough. If the rest of the band actually wrote the music etc, I dunno. Billy Bob just looks like a gold plated boat anchor to me. Is Billy Bob to Boxmaster, the same way Keanu is to Dogstar?
Quote:Angel' date='Feb 17 2009, 06:35 AM' post='161738']
1. Drugs
2. Insane
3. PR-stunt
4. Genuine

21st Century Andy Kaufman
Quote:I don't know how good of a musician Mr. Thornton is. But at the end of that clip the band sans' Billy Bob, sounds decent enough. If the rest of the band actually wrote the music etc, I dunno. Billy Bob just looks like a gold plated boat anchor to me. Is Billy Bob to Boxmaster, the same way Keanu is to Dogstar?
I can totally understand why Billy Bob Thornton was hacked off with the interviewer. The interviewer reached into his tired old bag of interview cliche's and pulled out the "New Band" interview script. I think part of what Billy Bob was doing was an intentional attempt to get Jian Ghomeshi off the script. Artists get tired of being treated like packaged goods.

I paraphrase for dramatic effect;

"Tonight I have a fresh new band the Boxmasters, who you would have never heard about if it weren't for their drummer, actor, director, screen writer, Billy Bob Thornton".

"So, kids, you get to tour with Willy Nelson. Isn't that exciting! What has he taught you?"

"Billy Bob, when you were a boy, what did you play on your record player?"

If he had done his homework he might have known that BBT has been a life long musician, who happened to get sidetracked with a dabbling in Hollyweird. Jack Hammer was not just an 80's garage band, and when someone has almost 30 years of experience in an industry he probably shouldn't treat them like a turnip that just fell off the truck, just because its the first time he's heard about them. In defense of Jian Ghomeshi, BBT is truly eccentric (the nice word for "crazy"), and truly is a unique character.

I loved the monster magazine answer. I'll have to remember that one if I ever get famous and want to appear eccentric (to have truly lost my marbles). But, when I was a boy, I remember that I ate a certain brand of cereal, and with every 5 box tops I could send in a quarter and get a small 3" figure of one of the presidents of the US. Well, I eventually collected them all, right up to LBJ.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:"Tonight I have a fresh new band the Boxmasters, who you would have never heard about if it weren't for their drummer, actor, director, screen writer, Billy Bob Thornton".

Which to most people I can safely bet, is the case.

Quote: In defense of Jian Ghomeshi, BBT is truly eccentric (the nice word for "crazy"), and truly is a unique character.

I sometimes listen to the show, and occasionally, Ghomeshi himself IMO, can sound like a pompous douchebag. IIRC, Ghomeshi was in a band called Moxy Fruvous, and was a drummer\singer himself. You'd think with those common background the two could've talked more shop.

In this particular case though, I don't see Ghomeshi out of line for mentioning that yes, BBT is not unknown because of Hollywood, and chances are most people might connect Thornton with acting and movies first, and not necessarily music.

So Thornton might not like that more people probably know him for his movies, and not his music. But that's the way it is. General public perception might not match his own perception of himself. Wow, imagine that. :rolleyes: Get in line Thornton, you're not the first and you won't be the last. See previous alumnis, Leonard 'Spock' Nimoy who is also an author and photographer, Billy Dee 'Lando Colt 45 the coolest cat in the Galaxy Far Far Away' Williams who was and is a painter.

And it wasn't like Gomeshi was going on and on about his movies, at best it was a blurb at the end of the intro. I mean this http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/jul/...y-night-lights/
had a lot more reference to his acting career. Maybe it was the Canadian straw that broke his back.

But whatever, if nothing else I now have a new potential catch-phrase inspired by Billy Bob's antics. 'Here comes the gravy!'

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/616601
Quote:Which to most people I can safely bet, is the case.
<strike>Ir</strike>Regardless, I think his karma has come home to roost (wait, Karma with a Bump of Chicken is a different band altogether). You can't go around being a pompous a-hole without having your adoring public eventually catch on. That goes for BabaGanoush, er, (again wrong band), I mean Jian Ghomeshi as well. The interview reminded me of any number of Monty Python interview skits, you see, because it's pronounced throat warbler mangrove.

Quote:......sh** that I instructed you not to bring up.

I don't know h-what you mean.

Uhhm. I don't know h-what you're talking about.

H-would you ask Tom Petty that, h-would you ask Tom Petty if he has some gravy?!

Quote:I don't know h-what you mean.

Uhhm. I don't know h-what you're talking about.

H-would you ask Tom Petty that, h-would you ask Tom Petty if he has some gravy?!
C'mon Canada! Show me your gravy!!!

Quote:Irregardless,
THWEEP!!

That was a foul. Two minute minor. Of to the penalty box you go.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:

C'mon Canada! Show me your gravy!!!

Unfortunately, Thornton and the Boxmaster has to cancel the rest of the Canadian tour due to health reasons. (Flu according to the press release.)
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/...ml?ref=rss

London, and Montreal (?!) will not have the pleasure of hosting said band. Willie Nelson is bravely soldiering on despite the loss of one of the opening act of the tour.

It's really unfortunate that Thornton will miss Montreal. Mont-freakin-real. Gravy capital of Canada. Not that Canada has to prove anything to Thornton regarding the absence or presence of Canadian gravy, but missing Montreal after throwing the gravy gauntlet down? Montreal, birthplace of the poutine?

Billy Bob, maybe the question is, can -you handle- the gravy?

[Image: poutine.jpg]