What a difference a day makes...
Friday, my then 27th lvl swd/swd Barb, found sufficient runes to create 2 Malice swords. Not a 'great' weapon, but a substantial kick upward at that level from any two 'conventional' magic swords. (ActIV norm btw.) This was accomplished in maybe 2 hours of gaming. Thought, hey...this is cool!

Sunday, an entire day for D2. Wife knew I wasnt addressing ANYTHING on the 'honey-dew' list. This day was MINE! *evil cackle* 8 hrs later....3 EL runes. Thats it! *sigh*

Anyway, Barb is now 37th or so lvl and has completed ActV norm. Onto the 'real deal' of the game. NM, decreased resistance, increased monster stats....been a very long time since I've been in NM. Going to be painful, I have no doubts.
Why do I park my car in the driveway, then drive on the parkway?
Make sure you go to town if the phone rings or you get distracted some other way, that dual drain life has gotta hurt ;)

I have been making a succession of swords for my no-twink dual sword barb and have used the 3 chips -> blue sword with 3 sockets recipe a lot

I have managed to get to a battlesword with 39% ed and 6% leech as the magic mods and I put 3 ITHs in for +27 max damage

Other sword is a King's Grace Dacian Falx

Look for cubeable exceptional swords, don't use cutlasses or gladii (2 socket limit) and say woot when you see an Ith rune drop :)