Elemental masteries=extra weapon damage?
ive heard several times that the sorceress elemental masteries actually works with elemental damage in melee as well. Is it true?

like if you have the todsfaelle flamne sword which does 50-200 fire damage. That it would become 131.5-526 damage with lvl 20 firemastery. And thats no enchant at all factored in. And if you had fire damage charms, or other items adding firedamage, it could reach sickening heights if its true
i did some musing over fire sources

charms, 40x small 19-29 fire damage charms=760-1160
boots cowking boots 25-35 fire damage
helm najs circlet 25-35 fire damage
shield tiamats rebuke 35-95 fire damage
weapon baranar's star 1-200 fire damage
ring1 no rings with inherent fire damage
ring2 no rings with inherent fire damage
amulet the rising sun 24-48 fire damage
gloves hellmouth 15-72
belt no belt with inherent fire damage bonus

total 885-1645
lvl 20 mastery 163% firedamage
total 2327.55-4326

Counting in enchant
subtotal 885-1645
lvl 20 enchant 78-80
total 963-1725
mastery 163%
total 2532-4536.75

If fire mastery works towards enchancing the elemental fire damage from items you have, you are gaining the most benefit from amassing as many fire damage charms you can. Getting sources from other items will mostly be insignificant.
It really does effect it (it boosts the damage then tacks enchant on the end) - this is very obvious in kuko shakaku using bowsorcs who rely on high fire damage (more fire dmg sources increase the radius of the explosing arrow, and also boost dmg) - they can mow through many non-fire immunes in mere seconds (nearly as fast a fully decked out standard sorceress). - This improvement of damage is NOT listed on the character screen, but is obvious upon testing (my baranar's using melee sorc can kill as fast as a baranar's using paladin)

If you want to see insane damage, run up the calculation of lightning equipment in this same scenario. - just so you don't have to look up too much stuff:

Small Charm Maximum: 2-99
Jewels Maximum: 1-100

Level 20 lit mastery: 278%
Level 25 lit mastery: 338%
Level 30 lit mastery: 398%

Just a side note:
Stone of Jordan, with level 20 mastery (20 with the stone), adds 3-45 lightning damage (from 1-12)
2-99 lit dmg sc w/ level 20 mastery: 7-374
1-100 lit dmg jewel 2/ level 20 mastery: 3-378

40 of the lit dmg charms: 280-14960 (7620 average damage)
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
quite fascinating, since it doesnt show up on the character screen, im believing its a bug instead of an intended feature in the game. But it do make some kind of twisted sense, the sorceress agumenting elemental energies around her. Mmm, now just if cold mastery worked the same way as the two others, and we might see buritos on the switch for fire imunes :P

Hmm, im wondering, there is no melee attack or item that sets of such an explosion like koku or demon machine does?
No, exploding arrow is fairly unique

It is very strong for a bow sorc since not only does mastery apply to fire damage but the fire damage is applied within the splash radius
hmm, i just came to think of the assy's fists of fire and blades of ice spells. They DO add an explosion at charge 3, and have several interesting and strange things happening with transfering damage to everything in the radius of the explosion

hmm, a bowasorc does sound like an interesting endeavour. Since explosion attacks automatically hits, there is no need to pump dexterity beyond whats needed to equip the koku bow, and she will be dealing her damage with the explosion and fire mainly. Not with the physical component.

But maybe spending those points on vitality for extra life since you cant leech with explosion attacks.

Or maybe towards energy too, and adding warmth to power your energy shield. Which might be needed, since you dont have blocking with using a two-handed weapon like a bow. And enchant actually looks rather dubious, already pretty low damage at lvl 20, and if its reduced to 1/3 for ranged attacks. Then its completely passable. warmth, energy shield and firemastery, that would already be 3 skills to use, and place the char in the lvl 60 range. But you would still be lacking towards fireimunes. But i suppose thats what a party is for :)
I have a demon machine sorc in early hc hell

Thunderstorm, Enchant, fear and crushing blow, I also use teleport to position the merc offensively

Both fear and crushing blow also splash and the pierce on the weapon creates over-lapping explosions which carry all the effects

Thunderstorm is there for things that sneak up on me as well as being a third element

Works ok solo or partied :)
My Bowsorc setup:

Kuko Shakaku
Spirit Forge (have one with fire jewels, and one with ias....)
Highlord's Wrath
Tgod's Vigor
Inferno Stride
Hellmouth Gauntlets
1 Ravenfrost
1 SoJ
Harlequin Crest

secondary weapon: Wizardspike w/ a shield (right now using Tiamat's....will probably end up pdiamond mosers)

and a mix of mostly lightning damage charms (some are dual fireghtning, and there is one fire/poison, and 1 cold)

Max Fire Mastery
Max Lightning Mastery
1 point in cold mastery
Max Static Field (nice range on it at lvl 24)

Enough str/dex for equipment
Rest in Vitality.

You usually don't get hit with this build, and when you do you usually have enough life to handle it easily (over 1000 life at 85)

My Melee Sorc Setup:
Vampire Gaze (ias jewel) - using it for leech and dr
Shaftstop (15% resist, +9energy jewel) - Using for dr
String of Ears - using for dr and leech
dual Raven frosts (dexterity, AR, cannot be frozen)
Mara's Kaleidescope(for resists, +2 skills, and +5 stats....I sometimes use Highlord's or Mahim Oak Curio....just they're on other chars atm)
Infernostride
Hellmouth gauntlets

Weapons (use both about equally)

Weapon 1: Hellslayer
Weapon 2: Baranar's Star & Stormshield

Enough str for equipment (...i went ahead and rounded up to 190)
Enough dexterity for 75% blocking at level 99 (it's up to 209 or something atm with equipment....she's not even in the 80s yet)
Rest in Vitality

Skills:
Maximum fire mastery
Maximum Lightning Mastery
1 in cold mastery
Maximum Energy shield
Rest in Tstorm (so i deal damage even if blocklocked)

She tanks extremely well by taking only a little over 8% of the damage sent at her while she has her energy shield on, and only 25% of the damage when it's not.

Right now she's around 400 life though heh.....she tanks about as good as a mediocre paladin, and kills as fast as a respectable paladin.
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"