Are Rares realy useless?
Can have 30%, and IIRC, even 40% faster run.

Extra Magic find or gold find

two or three resists.

What's not to like?

Oh, and the all important 'Increased Light Radius!'

:)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jun 24 2003, 04:07 PM Wrote:Can have 30%, and IIRC, even 40% faster run.

Extra Magic find or gold find

two or three resists.

What's not to like?

Oh, and the all important 'Increased Light Radius!'

:)
I don't think that anyone in here questions the potential godliness of rares, of course the chance of getting an uber rare are smaller than the chances you'll find the entire griswold's set from 4 pindle runs with no MF whatsoever.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
I wouldn't knock Light Radius all that much. Back in the day, I played D2 exclusive through DirectDraw, which meant that you were still able to sight and track targets in the darkness of night and the indoors. I then quit the game in lieu of other diversions, one of which netted me a new graphics card.

Having been returned to Sanctuary through the grace of LoD, I am now playing the game first-up and full through with that card in place. With the combination of playing archer-type characters, the 800x600 resolution play field, and the pitch darkness and dynamic lighting of Direct3D rendering, there's one thing I've learned... It's dark out there, and I can't shoot sh#t in the gloom. Early on, my Assassin was dropping Shock Webs just to light her way through the Underground Passage on the way to spring Cain.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
D-Dave,Jun 21 2003, 08: Wrote:After restarting Realm play a couple of month ago (and due to this experiencing first hand how the new Ladder start will feel) I still feel irritated everytime I hear people stating how useless Rare items are.

First of all, they are obtained rather easily by gambeling.
All you need is a fair amount of cash and a bit of luck and you can get your hands on some realy remarkable Items - early and easy. Which is a good thing when your Werewolf Druid is using the Horadric Staff throughout Act 2 Normal as he could not find any better Weapon.

Depending on Character Class and Item slot, Rare Items can be more desireable then Uniques or Sets
My problem with rares is this:

I am currently playing exclusive classic hardcore and frankly, unless I trade away most of my hard earned gear for a classic HC dupe from 1.07 or lower there is very little chance of finding, imbuing etc., a weapon of nightmare class quality. Never mind hell. The way the affix pool was changed in respect to rares makes it difficult to chance across a decent weapon. My rare problem doesn't apply to any other class of item.

Like all players that care to trudge through classic mode Sanctuary, I keep on playing for the challenge.

My personal feeling is that classic was destroyed by LoD(at least in respect to weapons).

EDIT:

Meant to address this originally. There are lots of simply amazing items that are rare that spawn in classic and LoD no question. I use them all the time. Most of my playing compadres address the rare issue only when speaking in terms of weapons.
"My Karma ran over your Dogma"

HeL