An ImH from the past...
Hi all,

I was a regular lurker of the DSF a long while back and was sad to learn that it closed last fall. Well, I stumbled upon this site and who do I find here? Some of the old DSF regulars - Nystul, Pete, etc...

Anyhow, classic Diablo is a great game. Classic D Ironman is even better. I never finished an Ironman run, but came very close a handful of times with the likes of Blue-eyed-lion (aka SunsetWarrior), Dr. Zed, and others. I've moved on, but I'd like to share an account of one of my favorite experiences - an Immortal Hero run. IIRC, Pete designed this variant of play. If it hasn't been introduced to this forum, maybe he'd like to share. Basically, you try to play the game all the way through all three difficulites without dying. My account follows - I hope you enjoy.

Thraeneth

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Having twice rid the dungeon of evil, Kaxza`II~ImH continued in the footsteps of the legendary McLeod and swept the upper levels clean for a third time. He then descended into hell to face the true lord of terror. This is his story...

Stats:
Lvl 32 Spells (adjusted):
XP 27256022 FB7, CL8, SC4, Tele3, Str 42/42 Guar7, Gol4
Int 189/256
Dex 29/29
Vit 26/26
Life 67/67
Mana 440/647
AC 14
towhat? ?? ;)
Res 20% all

Worn to 13:
TC (dur 21, found in norm/church, carried until hidden in hell/church)
Robe of Harmony (I cannot say enough about the value of harmony)
Staff of Wiz (30)
Amulet of Sorc (20)
Drakes Ring (43)
Gold/Sorc Ring (28/17)

In Pack:
Ring of Stability
Garnet Ring (42)
Cobalt/Giants Ring (50/20)
Crimson/Wolf Ammy (22/40)
RoE x 2 (thought would be great for Illusion Weavers, but weavers are nothing after facing VK Void Lurkers for a couple of months... wink, wink Armin)
Obs/Haste Staff (33)
Knights/Haste Staff (8-16, 36/97)
Tin/Fool Ring (-9, -8) neat-o!

13:
Cast infra upon arrival. Saw drakes and 'rogs. Switched gold/sorc ring for garnet ring to bring fire res up to 62%. Tingles of excitement as I move into the first room. Balrogs and Fire Drakes. CL and SC with the occasional Tele for tactical repositioning. No problem. Came across Blackskull and his pack. I strung the pack out and finished them off a couple at a time leaving only Blackskull. Then something very strange happened. As I waited for him to round a corner to meet me, he stopped. I walked around the corner and we stood face to face two tiles away and he did nothing - just stood there and breathed. This was puzzling, so I moved to one of his adjacent tiles and then he attacked. But, when I moved away he didn't follow; just stood there. I did this at all angles: when I was two away he simply stand there, but when I moved adjacent he attacked. Has anyone ever seen this? I'm certain he wasn't stuck in the wall. Anyhow, he dropped a studded leather of harmony. Since I'm into leather ;) I ditched the robe.

14:
Infra again. Discovered Black Knights and Fire Drakes. The level was uneventful, but it was fun to finally use my FB.

15:
Infra - drakes and witches. Switched to the Obs/Haste staff, bringing magic res up to 53%. Also put the gold/sorc ring back on. Moved carefully into the first room... Soul Burners and Azure Drakes! Finally some action! First, I weeded out the drakes with SC and FB, then went to the slow task of bashing the statues. When I dealt with a small group of 2-3 soulies (most of the time thankfully), I switched to the Knights/Haste as it allowed killing with a golie in two SCs instead of 3. When I had the misfortune of attracting more, I stayed with the Obs Staff as it was hard to manage a pack with such a low level SC. But please don't call me a CAT-Sorc! ;) Later in the level I came across Snow Witches, which made things go a little faster. Used guardian alot to separate the groups. Bloodlust dropped a nice Diamond Mail, but how can I cast spells wearing such heavy armor? I stuck with Pete's original rules and left the mail in town. Finally, after about 45 minutes all that was left was Lazarus' Chamber. As I approached the room a voice rang out from above, "Honey, we have to leave in an hour!" Drats! The dreaded GF monster has reared her ugly (well, actually its pretty) head again. With only Laz and 16 left I figured that an hour would be just enough time, if I hurried. Fatal mistake. I lured out Jade and Vexie, and finished them (dropped a studded leather and a TC). Patiently, I lured and killed a couple of advos. Finally, with two advos and Laz left, I sent a golie into the room to shake things up. Even with a couple of SCs cast over the wall, the weak golie couldn't handle one of the advos. So, I rashly teleported into the chamber and upon arrival, 3 fireballs hit me simultaneously. Both full globes drop - red screen. After a moment of disbelief, I quit the game and deleted Kaxza`II~ImH.

A month of careful work was gone because of a single poor decision. But it was one of the most fun months I've had with Diablo and I thank Pete for the rules and Armin for the inspiration. Keep your eyes open for the exploits of Kaxza`III~ImH!!

Thraeneth
"Beware the deadly GF monster young hero!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On my 3@30 run with my first nakedmage, I killed all but Laz and the Advos with luring tactics, but the sorcerous sh!theads wouldn't follow me out. I tele'd in, planning to do some speedy stoning, only to get incinerated in seconds. Ouch. On my second try, I sent Golie in and stoned at the center of the novas. =P It's cheezy to cast a spell through the wall, but it worked, dammit. ^_^

I would say, I feel your pain, but I've never played an ImH or Hardcore D2 player, for this precise reason. My playing style is rash and risky, and I die a lot. Maybe not as much as Die-A-Lot dies, but I do die a LOT. ^_^ I doubt I'd get any ImH/HC character beyond 20, ever.

Sorry it wound up that way for Kaxza, but I hope you get right back on the horse, and tell us the tale afterwards. ^_^

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Hi,

Welcome back to the Diablo insane community.

Did you originally post that story in the old DSF? Because it sounds familiar but I wouldn't swear that I read *exactly* that one. Either way, long belated condolences on the death of Kaxza`II~ImH, perhaps now it is time for Kaxza`III~ImH ;)

I'm still playing by those rules, but have yet to take any class all the way through. AFAIK, Armin with a mage and Dr. Disaster (I think) with a warrior are the only two to ever complete the Immortal Hero quest according to the full rules. I didn't realize just how high a hurdle I'd set all those six years ago :)

I suspect that most of the people who lurk here have a pretty good idea of those rules, but thanks for bringing them back up.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?