Benefits of FPS
Quote:Fascinating. I wonder if the additional "benefits" of being overweight, combative, socially-challenged and a pronounced ability to remain hidden in their parents' basement for 30+ years weigh in too?

Lack of personal motivation.

FPS games improved my hand-eye coordination, if nothing else. The fencing team wants me. Do I have a clear schedule? Not with credit hours to log in the theater. :P

I admit I'm in the neighborhood of 175, that I've put my fist through a couple walls, that I'm nervous around people, and prefer to hide away rather than be in public. Considering I used to be 200+, nearly attacked my sister with a baseball bat, and did minor rule-breaking in school so I wouldn't have to be around other people, I've come a long way. Personal motivation.

If it wasn't for FPS games, I would be incredibly violent. Playing Doom and its clones allowed me to let go of my energy so I could then channel my mind in other directions, like writing.

Heck, my father and I used to play Doom together when I was still in elementary school. He'd work the controls, and I'd remind him where stuff was and what map areas we hadn't cleared. How's that for father/daughter bonding? :P

EDIT: I do appreciate your humor, Nicodemus. If I compared the well-known wordsmiths at the Lounge to aging white male comedians, I'd say that you're like Dennis Miller. You both weave words in a certain way that not only expresses your opinion to a T but leaves people in hysterics, laughing their butts off or otherwise.

Sarcasm is the hardest form of humor to "get." The topic struck close to home with Kasreyn, that's all. I had a bit to say in self-defense, but many of the computer geeks I partied with in high school are now in low-paying jobs to feed a cable internet connection and a beer/marijuana fix.

And might I suggest that Kas lighten up a touch? We may be exemptions to the rule, but unfortunately the rule in question applies to too many people.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.