Magazines and Periodicals
Hi,

The PC Gamer staff strike me as a bunch of thirty-somethings trying to act like thirteen year olds. I was given a complimentary subscription, and after a few issues I called and canceled -- the thought of some innocent tree being killed to generate that trash was more than I could handle ;)

OTOH, Computer Games Strategy Plus is still quite good (and getting better). However its name has been shortened to just Computer Games.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Although I no longer subscribe to PCGamer (subscription ran out a few years back when I was beginning to lose interest in computer games all together and never bothered to renew) I did find it quite worth while.

Although there were a few staff members who acted way too young for their age, I found most of the staff mature and professional, and most of the content quite worthwhile. It was the Lurker Lounge of computer gaming magazines as far as I was concerned. :P
There were the occasional "practical jokes" (like the editors giving every HeadHunter(?) game they recieve to Greg to review) and colums that serve no purpose but a crude joke, the articles and reviews were very insightful and informative. Well, at least when I was still reading it anyway.

Around the time my subscription ran out, PCGamer had basically gone through a complete staff replacement, and there was only ONE staff member remaining from the orignal team of editors. From the comments here, they seemed to have really gone down hill. :huh:
ShadowHM,Apr 2 2003, 04:43 PM Wrote:So, I am curious.  What magazines or periodicals do you subscribe to/purchase?
Hmm, I don't often venture into the lounge...I guess that's where the magazines are kept?

Purchase (as in pay for):

PC Magazine
Windows Developer
Acoustic Guitar
Friends Journal (Quaker magazine)
PEI (photography magazine)

At work I get close to twenty trade periodicals. The ones I read are:

EE Times
Eweek
InfoWorld
Embedded Systems
Vision Systems Design
Advanced Imaging

How many people here have prepared and published an expensive four color magazine ad for the company where they have worked for fourteen years, only to have have misspelled the name of the company?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
National Geographic (German Edition)
profil - political magazine
Der Spiegel - political magazine
Der Standard - daily newspaper
trend - magazine about economics
Le Monde diplomatique - political magazine
c't - IT-magzine
Gamestar - PC gaming magazine
Gamepro - Video gaming magazine