Precedent
Rumsfeld is a classic. In some ways the penultimate politician.

Some what like his recent retort when asked about the length of the Iraq war; "We're still, needless to say, much closer to the beginning than the end," he told a Pentagon media briefing. "They're doing an outstanding job. The (Iraqi) resistance that's being encountered was expected."

I wish the administration could just say, "Hmmm, good question, I wish I knew the answer." Or, the press would remove their heads from you know where and think about the questions they ask.

Needless to say, it is obvious most reporters expected this "WAR" to be a weekend drive to Baghdad in a tank. Imagine if Patton were asked upon hitting the Normandy coast "When will you be in Berlin?", or "When will Germany capitulate?" War's have objectives, which are built into operations, which can sometimes be estimated in terms of duration. Most catastrophic failures in warfare either come from moving too fast, or too slow. If you move too fast you risk being flanked and having your army cut off from its supply line. A real risk for the current American operation. If you move too slowly, you allow your adversary to entrench their position, and better target yours. And if entrenched, as in Vietnam, at some point the public starts to wonder if the struggle, and objectives are worth it. That said, speed is often a great tactic, but sometimes a poor strategy.

This war as I see it has at least these four primary objectives; 1) unseat the Ba'ath regime, 2) prevent coalition casualties, 3) prevent Iraqi casualties and suffering (both military and civilian), 4) preserve Iraq's infrastructure

I think, for instance, the US could easily acheive #1 anytime now, if we were willing to toss out #2 thru #4. But, that would not win the war. So, the time table needs to be expanded enough to allow for all four objectives, without moving so slowly that it compromises #1.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Scoff if you will, but you should see the Micronsian special forces! :) The poles are getting pretty good press.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

The future of that structure will be interesting to watch. If Pres Bush has a plan, I wonder if he won't use a certain amount of leverage on the Israeli's, once Saddam is out of the picture, based on the usual aid package in getting them to extend some trust to the Palestinians once Arafat too is sent packing. He has outlived his utility.

I would also think it appropriate to tell the Israeli's :

"OK, we put 2-3 billion a year into aid for you. What are you, a third world basket case nation like Haiti? We are going to split next year's package 60-40 between you and the Palestinian authority to show them, and our colleagues in the Arab world, that we put our money where our mouth is. We got your biggest pain out of the way, Saddam Hussein, now you folks are a bit less insecure. You can take a few risks to try to build a better future with Palestinians, and Arabs in general. We took some for you."

And then various Jewish lobbyists in America will HOWL! You can take that one to Las Vegas, bet the 'over' and cash in nicely. :o

Pres Carter did that with Egypt, and it has had some good long term effects insofar as stability in one area.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete