Running Diablo on harddrive?
Hi, I've been a fan of Diablo back then ever since it came out... I used to play on B.net all the time daily.. and I remember that ONE day I found a legit obsidian ring of the zodiac!. It wasn't perfect, like it was +17 all, and the resistances were lower. I've lost that though. ANYWAYs.. fast foward to 4 years later.. I plan on playing diablo again.

By now, my D1 CD is very very, scratched up (it's pretty old, what do you expect :D). I started playing again last weekend, with a new warrior, and I'm planning on buying hellfire this time.

Anyways, to get to the point.. During certain instances my diablo will freeze up ingame - such instances include equipping weapons, playing movies, dialogues, etc. Obviously it's the CD.

I want to play the game off my hard drive for now, but also want to be able to play on b.net (i've tried a 1.09 no cd, it modifies the storm.dll rendering that useless).

Has anyone figured out a way for this?

Thank you!
Other than borrowing a friend's cd or bying a enw one, maybe trying to get the scratched cd fixed, I have no other (legal) advice I can give :lol:
"It burns because its burning!"
Perfectly legal, and not terribly difficult to do.

First off, you'll need to make a 1:1 exact copy of the disc to your Hard Drive. CloneCD, Nero, EasyCD Creator, DiscJuggler, and many other programs are capable of doing this, and I know that at the very least, CloneCD has a demo available.

Once you have the 1:1 copy, head to http://www.daemon-tools.com/ and download Daemon Tools. This program will allow you to "mount" the image of the CD on a virtual drive.

Any questions, feel free to ask...I know I'm not the only one here who uses this method.
Cloning a CD is all good, except for the fact that it's a system hog to emulate a CD-drive.

If you copy your Diablo CD onto your hard drive (just file-for-file), then there's a way to get it to access that instead of the CD. (Most important, IIRC, are the .mpq files). If you know anything about Registry editing you can probably find it yourself, go to the Diablo area in the registry and when one of the values (most likely "Install Path") has your CD drive (like E:\), just change it to the place you copied your CD.

The game will still check for your CD when you start the game, but it should be using the hard drive for the game files from then on.

Note: This is all based on memory since I don't have Diablo installed and can't find anything about it on google.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Hi,

After going through 2 CD's, I looked for a way to eliminate the CD drive when using games. I found Game Drive at http://www.farstone.com/home/en/index.shtml and it has worked well for me. It's only $20, about the cost to replace 2 CD's from the bargain bins and cheaper than a single replacement from most game companies.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Thanks Zedd!

I made an ISO of my CD with WinISO, and downloaded the daemon-tools program. Diablo runs smoothly like it never did before.
This would have been so helpful back in the beginning days..
Hated it when the Lord himself appeared, and by the time my CD caught up, I was already dead.

Your method works perfectly fine, I can connect to B.net with no problems!
(this wouldn't happen to also work with Starcraft-Broodwar, would it?)
I knew it! You actually bothered to read this signiture!
Hi,

You really either need to quote the post you are replying to or reply to a post in threaded view.

If you are asking about GameDrive, it has worked with all the games I've loaded on it. That includes both D1 and D2, SC, FAKK2, BG (with TotSC), Heroes III and a few others. The older version didn't work with Age of Mythology but we haven't tried the upgrade with that.

If you are asking about one of the other methods, then I don't know.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

>If you are asking about one of the other methods, then I don't know.

Daemon's Tools and GameDrive are basically the same thing. From what I read, GameDrive has more features in that you can create disc images, and potentially load up to 23 CD's at once.

Theoretically, it will work with ANY CD (game or not). This is because the disc image you create contains all the information about the disc, and emulates the CD-ROM so the computer can't tell the difference between it and a real CD-ROM drive. Of course, there is no way I have tested every CD possible, so I am sure there are a few exceptions.

GameDrive seems to have an advantage in that it can also create the disc image files for you (.iso), whereis daemons tools do not. If you do not have a CD burner, then it is likely you do not have the software needed to create (.iso) files, and GameDrive would be best for that system.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!