Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Very handy, very straightforward and easy to reference.

Hereby added to my linklist.

Thanks, Tommi.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Nice. I never really knew EXACTLY how it worked. Thanks for the post! :)
-TheDragoon
Wow! That'll come in handy in the future! Nice work!
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Hey, once a gain a nice page. You really should soon make a menu page so that one can get between your different pages (only aware of 2 (yet) though). :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
The main page is:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/diablochars.html

(Named that way because it first contained my character guides.)

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

Burst of Speed and Vigor act identically or that you just used Vigor for testing?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Yes, they act identically (AFAIK). Don't credit me for testing these. The credit goes to Karon, who modded and tested things extensively. I just compiled all his/her technical info into a common sense page.

Btw, the movement speed formulas are now added to the page and some minor errors corrected.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

Tommi,

You might want to read at least some of this; I made a mistake in my original speed increase formula at diabloii.net, correction is below.

I had not completed (and I haven't yet) my research into the subject when the whole discussion started, only found the velocity increase. You may not find this interesting, but should have some valuable comments. Note that this is NOT complete, there are still some cases that I haven't looked at (for example when you do not change your X position, the game handles things a bit differently).

First the "game graph". The game keeps track of unit location and movement with a coordinate system. I'm not sure if one coord represents the size of one tile/pixel, but as an example the width of the Rouge Encapment is 111. You will always stand right on the middle of a coord, but when moving you can be anywhere on it (from .0 to .65534, but still in integer form, only left shifted 16 bits). I hope I made this understandable. If you want to be able to see your current X/Y position, you can download a modified 1.09d D2Client.dll from http://www.geocities.com/hammermand2/files.../D2Clientxy.zip (you must right click and choose save target as..).

You move in small steps within the graph. The length of the step depends on your velocity increase, as well as other things. I did post a formula for velocity increase over at the diabloii.net forums, wich was a bit off. I'll try to make up for that here, by giving the correct method to calculate total velocity increase.

The game stores velocity increase in stat 67, STATS_VELOCITYPERCENT. For players, this is base 100. Then when you equip an armor it subtracts the value in 'speed' column in armors.txt from it (0, 5, or 10 for light, heavy, and medium armors). When in run mode, it adds to it ((RunVelocity * 100) / WalkVelocity) - 100. RunVelocty is currently 9 for all classes, and WalkVelocity 6 (this value can be found in charstats.txt). Various skills, such as Vigor, add their % move increase to that value (not sure about all such skills, have only checked Vigor). Now, when in run or walk mode (using skills such as Frenzy should also count, but Charge won't since that's a sequence), you get a bonus to the velocity from % faster run/walk on items. It is subject to a diminishing return formula, wich is:

effective rw = [(150 * frw) / (frw + 150)]

This bonus will only be added IF you have any % faster run walk items. After adding the effective rw to the velocity increase, it is lower capped at 25 (NOT 15 as I said at diabloii.net, that was a typo). I guess we could sum all this up in a formula,

RunBonus = ((RunVelocity * 100) / WalkVelocity) - 100 ; only add if running!
VelocityPercent = 100 - armor speed + Skill FRW ; stat 67, STATS_VELOCITYPERCENT
Item bonus = [(150 * frw) / (frw + 150)] ; only add if any item frw!
Velocity increase = RunBonus + VelocityPercent + ItemBonus

Velocity Increase is lower capped at 25

Total Velocity = (WalkVelocity * 256 * Velocity Increase) / 100

For the Charge skill, it is:

Total Velocity = charge speed increase * ((VelocityPercent * (RunVelocity * 256)) / 100) / 100

Now for the calculations of each step length. Some of it I'll write as it were code, since I find that more easy to understand at times, will try to keep it simple. Target X/Y position is originally stored unshifted (that is, not with the precision mentinoned above). Current X/Y is stored shifted.

target_x = (target_x * 2^16) + 32768
target_y = (target_y * 2^16) + 32768

Now the target locations have been shifted for more precision, and the +32768 part makes it so you'll end up on the middle of the target coordinate.

if (current_x < target_x) {
current_x2 = target_x
target_x2 = current_x
}

This is done to prevent negative numbers in further calculations, and doesn't change your actual target location at all. I put the 2 there to avoid confusion. If this is not done (that is, current x is equal or greater than target x), current_x2 and target_x2 will just be current_x and target_x.

if (current_y >= target_y) {
target_y2 = current_y
current_y2 = target_y
}

Similar check with Y pos, but note the difference in the expression.

travel_x = current_x2 - target_x2
travel_y = current_y2 - target_y2

This finds the x/y distance that you want to travel, this is not the step length. Now, if travel_x is lower than travel_y, the "2 variables" are swapped (that is, target_y2 will be target_x2, current_y2 will be current_x2, and vice versa). Continuing on to index calculations:

travel_y2 = current_y2 - target_y2

If the result of this is zero, the index calculations are skipped and index = 0. I'll name these new travel variables differently, since the previous ones will be used a bit more later on (and this way it'll hopefully cause less confusion).

travel_x2 = current_x2 - target_x2
index = (travel_x2 * 127) / travel_y2

Index will never be higher than 127, note that. This index will then be used to get information from a step table, wich will determine the step length. See the table at http://www.geocities.com/hammermand2/files.../step_table.txt. As you will see, each index has 3 values, and from now on the 1st will be called value1, 2nd will be value2 and 3rd will be value3. Ok, so now we're finally getting to the actual step length calculations.

if (travel_x < travel_y) {
step_y = value1
step_x = value2

step_temp = -1 - value 3
step_temp = step_temp AND 0x0F
}

"step_temp AND 0x0f" sets it to the last digit, ie. 12345 would give 5. The step_temp value gets used later on, dont worry much about it for now.

else {
step_y = value2
step_x = value1

step_temp = value3
}

if (current_y >= target_y) {
neg(step_y)

step_temp = -1 - step_temp
step_temp = step_temp AND 0x1F
}

"step_temp AND 0x1f" basically "wraps it" to 31. Ie. 0 = 0, 1 = 1, 2 = 2 ... 31 = 31. Then 32 = 0, 33 = 1, etc (surely there is a better way of explaining this, but this'll have to do for now).

if (current_x < target_x) {
neg(step_x)
}

else {
step_temp = -1 - step_temp
step_temp = step_temp AND 0x3F
}

step_temp = step_temp + 8
step_temp = step_temp AND 0x3F

Finally, the velocity increase is factored in: (see formula for velocity above)

step_x = (total velocity increase * step_x) / 256
step_y = (total velocity increase * step_y) / 256

That is pretty much it, unless there is something I have missed or have yet to see (as I said before, this isn't really complete). And, come to think of it, you can just ignore "step_temp", I can't find any more mention of it in my notes and from what I vaguely remember it doesn't say anything about step length. I'll leave it there since others might have an idea on what it is, or I'll find what it does later.

Hope it wasn't confusing, and didn't include any errors.
I'll comment the first part of your reply (before the step thingies):

There is a small inconsistency. You first say that VelocityPercent is modified by Skill FRW (such as Vigor), but then do not show it in your formulas. Thus, your charge formula is not correct. It does not include Skill FRW now. I suggest moving Skill FRW from "Velocity Increase" to "Velocity Percent".

Velocity increase is lower capped at 25, but there is no lower cap for velocity percent. Yes, no? Just want to know for sure if ChargeSpeed can be negative.

"Total Velocity Increase" is probably a misnomer. Shouldn't it be "Total Velocity" instead?

Apparently 6*256/4 = 384 equals one yard in these calculations.

Note: Divisions per 100 are apparently related to percentile type variables, although they do not appear immediately after them.

Overall, the formulas seem to be the same as Karon had come upon in his/her tests. The lower cap of 25 translates straightly into his/her WalkVelocity/4 lower cap. Running speed is handled a bit differently than in his/her formulas, but the end result is the same.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

Meh, I ought to keep my notes to myself since I can never put them in a post without messing them up. I'll edit my post to fix the mistakes you pointed out, and the name change of Total Velocity increase to Total Velocity. Hopefully I'll get it right this
Hammerman,Feb 28 2003, 11:12 PM Wrote:Meh, I ought to keep my notes to myself since I can never put them in a post without messing them up. I'll edit my post to fix the mistakes you pointed out, and the name change of Total Velocity increase to Total Velocity. Hopefully I'll get it right this
Nah, don't be that hard to yourself. B) I don't get things right on the first try, either. You did great job! :) Very helpful to me indeed. Thanks.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

Hammerman, if you get it right the first time we'll all think you work for Blizz and start PMing you as to when the release date is coming on the patch. Very good job Tommi and Hammerman, I was curious about this issue myself since my MF zon is running REALLY slow with Tal's Armor on. No wonder.

Now for Conner's dumb question: Does this apply to merc's as well? By weighing down a merc with heavier armor does his R/W speed get affected?

I have a set of Ethereal 3 socket Ornate I was gonna make into Wealth for a pally merc for GFing. Has a lot of def on it and I've not found the ethereal Archon 3 sock I would like. But it's weight is medium, and we all know that Pally mercs like to drag about 2 screens back.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
Conner Macleod,Mar 1 2003, 12:20 AM Wrote:Now for Conner's dumb question:&nbsp; Does this apply to merc's as well?&nbsp; By weighing down a merc with heavier armor does his R/W speed get affected?
Yes, mercs will also be slowed down by armor speed. However, the velocity increase formula I gave (don't know how much testing Karon did on monsters, can't say how his/her formulas apply to them) should not be used on monsters, since they are done differently in some ways.
Would you mind adding info into this excelent post on were in the ptUnit's hPath and hRoom the various coordinates and other values are stored? I have never looked at either coordinates or the walk/run stuff so it would be really nice to complement with it and also be able to update the d2common calls with more accurate info on what coordinate values are actually returned.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:Hammerman, if you get it right the first time we'll all think you work for Blizz and start PMing you as to when the release date is coming on the patch.

Blizzard's multiple patches resulting in a demand for yet another, better patch constitutes "getting it right the first time"? :huh:
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Getting it right the first time does not equate to working for Blizz, merely an in depth knowledge of things the vast majority of us have no idea WHERE to look in the game to find them. Also, this was sarcasm because NONE of us wants Tommi, Hammerman, Jarulf, or Ruvanal to hold off on posting anything they know. ;) Meant to be a compliment.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil