Assigning Static IP addresses to computers... HELP!
Hello Lurkers,

Where I'm working is upgrading our computer system to include a server, and I need to assign static IP addresses to each computer involved before the guy coming to install the server gets here.

Now, I wont lie, I fairly stupid about networking, so I did what I do whenever I have a question like this, and googled it. I found the site

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/st...ddress.php

that seems to lay out how I do it.

Is this all I have to do? I'm currently using a linksys wrt54g router, and a linksys switch to handle the computers + wireless connections that we currently have running. That would be 4 computers, and 1 wireless (me). When we are done adding on, it will be 6-8 computers, the server, and a wireless connection.

After I assign the static IP addresses and disable DHCP on the router, will the normal setup that I have running right now work?

Will I need to assign my laptop a static IP address so that I can continue to access the net?

Any help would be appreciated Big Grin, links to articles to read will be LOVED Big GrinHeartBig Grin
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Why do you need to have all the workstations with static IP's for a guy to install a server? I could see the server needing a static IP, but why would the rest of the stations need them? That part just confused me.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Hi,

(05-10-2010, 07:10 PM)shoju Wrote: Where I'm working is upgrading our computer system to include a server, and I need to assign static IP addresses to each computer involved before the guy coming to install the server gets here.

I'll get back to this later.

Quote:After I assign the static IP addresses and disable DHCP on the router, will the normal setup that I have running right now work?

It should. You don't even need to disable DHCP. If a device has a fixed IP address, it will not attempt to get one from the router. Also, be sure not to disable DHCP on the Internet side if your IP provider does not give you a fixed address. Most don't or charge extra.

Quote:Will I need to assign my laptop a static IP address so that I can continue to access the net?

Yes, if you've disabled DHCP. You'll no longer be able to get an IP address on the fly.

This site seems to have a good overview and even some good details. Also, the router's settings function (which you should be able to address by putting 192.168.1.1 in your browser's address bar) has an excellent help system which, although not a tutorial, explains many things in detail.

Now, getting back to the first statement. Why do you need to give each computer a static address? I'm running a mixed wired/wi-fi net at home, with 4 to 6 computers and 2 printers (and soon a scanner if I can figure out how). My router (WRT54GS) is the same as yours, I think. It permits setting a range for DHCP, outside of which static addresses can be assigned without worry of conflict. If all you're doing is adding a server, I don't see the necessity of giving up the benefits of DHCP.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(05-10-2010, 07:10 PM)shoju Wrote: Any help would be appreciated...
Your DHCP server(router) should enable you to designate a portion of the IP subnet you are using as reserved. For example, in my home, I have about 10 servers, so I've limited my DHCP range to be from 192.168.1.100 and above. What is the server doing?

If you need the Internet to be able to see your servers (e.g. mail.mydomain.net, www.mydomain.net), things are different. This would require you to have a registered Domain, and a DNS server. When you register for the domain, they would assign you some actual internet IP addresses, and a subnet mask (e.g. 210.200.199.200 / 255.255.255.192). If you need this type of a setup, then I would tell you to consult with the services of someone who has proven experience setting it up before to ensure your setup is secure. Otherwise, your servers will become zombie slaves to some spam master in a matter of minutes.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]