30 Years ago
Some may not remember this day, some may not have even been alive yet, some may have been in an area that saw little effect and forgot as it was more a curosity to them.

For those of us living in the Pacific Northwest and remember, it was quite a change that occured for one seemingly normal Sunday morning. I know I was out washing the car with my Father exactly 30 years ago when we heard a far off boom that was reminiscent of a sonic boom, little did we realize what had just happened. My Mother told use a couple minutes later that Mt. Saint Helens had errupted.

For me and my family and friends living in Omak at the time, we were able to see the ash cloud sweep past us to the south, we got a very light dusting of ash. My Aunt, my Mother's twin, was living in Spokane at the time and scene from there was what one would picture if hell came to Earth. By the time the cloud fully passed, Spokane had received over a foot of ash. The city in the aftermath looked like what would happen if a city was suddenly moved from Earth to the Moon. I remember seeing the city using Snow Plows to try and remove the ash from the streets.

It was quite the time, somewhat spooky, but also fascinating.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(05-18-2010, 03:32 PM)Lissa Wrote: I know I was out washing the car with my Father exactly 30 years ago when we heard a far off boom that was reminiscent of a sonic boom, little did we realize what had just happened. My Mother told use a couple minutes later that Mt. Saint Helens had errupted.

I'm glad you mentioned the boom. I remembered hearing the boom also, but being only 5 at the time (in Okanogan), I've wondered if my remembering the boom was a false memory. I wasn't sure you could hear it that far away.
Some people get rain when they wash the car. You got ash. Tongue
I remember that day. I lived in Canada at the time (literally right on the border), and we heard it as well. I still have some of the ash kept safe in a bottle (the ash didn't fall on us, we visited the site a few weeks later).
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields