Free audio book (expires July 2)
I just heard about an offer for a free audio book and was reminded of DeeBye posting threads here about getting free things on-line. So I thought I'd share as well. I've not decided what book I will get and I've never used the site before (though I've heard advertisements for it for a while). So I can't really tell you anything beyond that you can choose a free book from a list. The url is: http://audible.com/summer. Let me know if you try one and what you think. I've never tried audio books before so I'm curious what people's experiences are.
Thanks for that link.

I am a regular user of audio books. NOTHING quells the in-fighting in the back seat on long drives like an audio book. And I can introduce stories that my family would not otherwise choose. Last summer we listened to 'My Sister's Keeper' (one the books on that list). It isn't a likely title choice for teenaged boys to pick. But it got the ultimate accolade for a story - "Mom, can we just sit in the car for another few minutes until this chapter is over?"
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I went with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. No books on the list really called out to me, but I have a friend who is obsessed with Alice stuff so I figured me listening to that would give some good talking points for us. My plan is to listen to it while playing WoW by myself since that doesn't really take all that much thought. I'm a little leery though cause I've always been the sort to have to read things to really understand. Like instructions for games. People will try and explain a game to me and I won't quite grasp it. Yet you hand me the written instructions and I get it right away. So I'm a bit concerned that my brain will tune the reading out or just kind of not follow it like it should. We'll see though. Being a book it could be a different beast than the instances where my brain doesn't like to follow audio things so maybe it will work
(06-25-2010, 11:09 AM)ShadowHM Wrote: Thanks for that link.

I am a regular user of audio books. NOTHING quells the in-fighting in the back seat on long drives like an audio book. And I can introduce stories that my family would not otherwise choose. Last summer we listened to 'My Sister's Keeper' (one the books on that list). It isn't a likely title choice for teenaged boys to pick. But it got the ultimate accolade for a story - "Mom, can we just sit in the car for another few minutes until this chapter is over?"
Ditto. Our family has a large assortment of audio books. The boys even listen to them over and over again at bedtimes.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-25-2010, 12:25 PM)swirly Wrote: I went with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. No books on the list really called out to me, but I have a friend who is obsessed with Alice stuff so I figured me listening to that would give some good talking points for us. My plan is to listen to it while playing WoW by myself since that doesn't really take all that much thought. I'm a little leery though cause I've always been the sort to have to read things to really understand. Like instructions for games. People will try and explain a game to me and I won't quite grasp it. Yet you hand me the written instructions and I get it right away. So I'm a bit concerned that my brain will tune the reading out or just kind of not follow it like it should. We'll see though. Being a book it could be a different beast than the instances where my brain doesn't like to follow audio things so maybe it will work
I recently finished listening to a 50 CD unabridged version of Atlas Shrugged. The only part I found too difficult to comprehend audibly, was Galt's speech. In the book, it was supposed to be a 3 hour broadcast, and when read, it is an hour and a half. It is the culmination of all of Rand's philosophy, and so it is not easy to grasp anyway. Honestly, I fell asleep 3 times, and I'm truly interested in what she's trying to say. And, in fact, the substance of the speech is not important to the story line anyway other than it convinces everyone that Galt is the one person who can get the nation back on its feet. My wife also listened to it, but more for the hot love scenes. Smile We also were able to discuss the failings of Rand's philosophy.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(06-25-2010, 02:20 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I recently finished listening to a 50 CD unabridged version of Atlas Shrugged.
Good lord. What rough beast slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? Surely such an object heralds the end of the world.

-Jester
I took Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I enjoy the television show and am interested to find out how the book compares.

I do have to say the hoops one needs to jump through to actually download something through this service feels excessive, especially in a media environment of iTunes, iPods, and iPads. Needing to have an additional piece of software to listen to these books even through iTunes is frustrating and I doubt I will leave it installed longer than it takes to listen to the book.
(06-26-2010, 01:04 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: I do have to say the hoops one needs to jump through to actually download something through this service feels excessive, especially in a media environment of iTunes, iPods, and iPads. Needing to have an additional piece of software to listen to these books even through iTunes is frustrating and I doubt I will leave it installed longer than it takes to listen to the book.
I kind of felt this too. It seemed to be a hassle to download the software and then use that to get the book. I would have much preferred just being able to download one file that I used whatever player I wanted to play. Yet I also kind of understand why they do it the way they do. If you simply have a file you can play in anything then the file can be copied and shared. Piracy becomes an issue. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if doing things along the lines of how they do isn't required by the book publishers in order for the site to provide the books they do.

Of course I don't have any audio book experience so I don't know how other sites do it (assuming there are other sites for such). Maybe it is easier through them. I do actually entirely agree though that it was annoying to have to jump through the hoops and I too will delete the software after I'm done listening.

I kind of wonder how it works with other devices. I mean, surely you can play the files on things like an ipod which wouldn't really have their software installed on it. So at some point the file has to be made into some kind of easily transferable file right? Which makes me think the whole process is just overly annoying in the first place.
Oh I understand completely why they have it set up the way they do. I just don't see why anyone in their right mind would bother with their service when they aren't receiving a free piece of content. If I'm going to purchase an audio book I can get the same content simply through iTunes with much less hassle.

If this free give-away was to build awareness I think they may have backfired. If anything this promotion has shown me all the reasons I should not utilize this service.

Edit: Actually I'm fairly sure you do need to install the software onto your iPod. While setting up the software there was a section that asked you to connect all devices you wanted to authorize to play the book.
(06-26-2010, 03:26 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Edit: Actually I'm fairly sure you do need to install the software onto your iPod. While setting up the software there was a section that asked you to connect all devices you wanted to authorize to play the book.
Well I just picked ipod cause I assumed there wasn't a way to install software (I don't own one). A better example would be CD. Pretty sure I saw a way to install to cd. From there the audio would be free to transfer however one would like. I'm not saying a person should do anything illegal with it. I'm simply saying that since the protection is so thin anyway that it does seem a bit odd to me to have so many hoops.

Then again...I don't use itunes either. So from my perspective having to buy through itunes or through this site....they both require me to have/use software I would never touch otherwise. I do grant that many many many more people do use itunes and so for them it would clearly be easier.

Either way though, I am unlikely to pay for an audio book. So I am grateful for the free one, but otherwise wouldn't use the site. I do agree that the hoops they make people jump through will likely turn some people away. In the end it might come down to selection. If they have a book on this site that itunes doesn't have and you want it...then you'll jump through the hoops. Also if they have better readers for their books it could make a difference. If they have the exact same stuff as itunes though then clearly most will just go with itunes. So I guess the question is...how is the audio book selection on itunes and how are the voices they have reading them? Along with the same question for this site. Neither of which do I actually have an answer for. : )
I went with Alice as well. And, I burned it to a CD for the boys to add to their collection. Then, promptly uninstalled the requisite software. Smile