Internet shuting down?
Is it just me or are a lot of sites (typically large ones) down? I have not looked at that many sites but so far found that slashdot, hotmail and flickr seems to have been down today (and none of them up at the moment). Searching on google seems to indicate many other sites are also down. Strange? A coincidence? Or are there some good explanation?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Seems to be a problem with your ISP, Jarulf.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
(06-20-2010, 06:50 PM)NiteFox Wrote: Seems to be a problem with your ISP, Jarulf.

I put it down as a possible explanation!

EDIT: Forget the Google search, seems some was a bit old news.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
(06-20-2010, 07:00 PM)Jarulf Wrote:
(06-20-2010, 06:50 PM)NiteFox Wrote: Seems to be a problem with your ISP, Jarulf.

Considering a search on google shows news about all these and affecting all continents, I doubt it is an issue of my ISP, but I put it down as a possible explanation Smile

The lounge is up. That's the only site I've tried. I'm about to log onto WoW, and if I can get into Stormrage I'd say the Internet is working.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hi,

(06-20-2010, 06:11 PM)Jarulf Wrote: Is it just me or are a lot of sites (typically large ones) down? I have not looked at that many sites but so far found that slashdot, hotmail and flickr seems to have been down today (and none of them up at the moment). Searching on google seems to indicate many other sites are also down. Strange? A coincidence? Or are there some good explanation?

I don't know what to tell you. When I read your post, I went to about a dozen sites pretty much at random from my bookmarks. All of them came in, and pretty quickly at that.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(06-20-2010, 06:11 PM)Jarulf Wrote: Is it just me or are a lot of sites (typically large ones) down? I have not looked at that many sites but so far found that slashdot, hotmail and flickr seems to have been down today (and none of them up at the moment). Searching on google seems to indicate many other sites are also down. Strange? A coincidence? Or are there some good explanation?
Probably just too many people streaming video. Is there some huge sports thing going on over there?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

So everyone here can connect to slashdot, hotmail (anything on live.com) and flickr?
(06-20-2010, 08:12 PM)Jarulf Wrote: So everyone here can connect to slashdot, hotmail (anything on live.com) and flickr?

I can get to all of them just fine, yes. I don't use flickr or anything on live.com, but I do check my hotmail account daily (it's been fine both times I went today this morning and just now) and slashdot daily and it was fine this morning and just now when I checked again as well.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(06-20-2010, 08:22 PM)Gnollguy Wrote:
(06-20-2010, 08:12 PM)Jarulf Wrote: So everyone here can connect to slashdot, hotmail (anything on live.com) and flickr?

I can get to all of them just fine, yes. I don't use flickr or anything on live.com, but I do check my hotmail account daily (it's been fine both times I went today this morning and just now) and slashdot daily and it was fine this morning and just now when I checked again as well.

How odd. I have tried to change DNS servers, just in case, but still not working. Oh well, hopefully it works tomorrow or something Smile
Quote:Did you test your connection & Java?

Java is irrelevant, and he obviously has a connection, or he wouldn't be able to post here.

Jarulf: Is anyone else in your region having the same problems? If one of the exchange points goes down, a whole slew of sites can become unavailable. This will generally affect a lot of people in the same area, so can be easy to detect.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(06-20-2010, 07:47 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Probably just too many people streaming video. Is there some huge sports thing going on over there?
:^)

You made my head hurt in a different way than usual -- this time it was by laughing. I don't laugh often enough, and so it hurts when I do.

And yes, there does seem to be a lot more streaming videos going on lately, but I don't think it's sports. The surge seems to consist of these horn concerts held in African stadiums (stadia?). The horn-players are so numerous (thousands) and awful that there's some tourist-types going insane and running around chaotically on the grass of the field, kicking each other. Poor bastards.

-V
Turned out there was some major problems with the ones providing net capacity to my ISP and various other ISPs here in norther Europe. There was problems with the lines across the Atlantic. Primarilly it affected .com adresses and it also caused problems even if sites had servers even i Europe (or something along that line). So not a DNS problem as one still couln't connect switching to another DNS or even just using the IP number directly. Now it works again though and internt was appearantly not closing down Smile
Quote:There has been talk that a forum that shuts down has been hack, that is what i have been told.

Sometimes yes. Forums also get shut down by the administrators for other reasons, such as lack of activity.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields