Android Apps
I hate to make a new thread for this, however I was wondering if any of you had or knew of any good Android Apps? I searched Google and came up with 100-different websites all with 100-different top-100 lists Huh . Head... swimming...

In particular, I'm looking for some sort of Open Office suite so I can create and email Office document on the fly. And maybe a Primo PDF type converter. I've searched and quickly got overwhelmed reading forum after forum.

Also, does anybody know how to download apps which AREN'T on the Android Marketplace? I'm very confused on this; how to get an app into your Droid phone without using Marketplace.

P.S. For the record, I just got a Droid X. A very decent smart phone with one fatal flaw: when you put it in speaker mode, the damn speaker and microphone are on the back of the phone... not bad if your phone is upside down on a desk or something, but NOT good when you have it mounted on the paid for Car Mount and can't hear your caller and they can't hear you! Very frustrating. Also, it's very difficult to hang up on someone once the screen goes black if you want to end your conversation before the other caller hangs up! On a scale of 1-10, I'd give this phones ability to use Apps a 10, and the phone design itself a mere-5; if it didn't have so many cool Apps I now constantly use, I'd have switched back to my "ancient" Envy phone about a week ago.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(07-24-2010, 06:56 AM)MEAT Wrote: Also, does anybody know how to download apps which AREN'T on the Android Marketplace? I'm very confused on this; how to get an app into your Droid phone without using Marketplace.

There is a setting you have to change to allow the phone to install non-market apps, by default it won't allow it.

You can just email the .apk to yourself (convenient if the app is small), or download it on your computer and transfer it to the sdcard with your usb cable. If you haven't used the cable before, your phone acts just like a USB thumb drive, i.e. you use the safely eject on Windows if that's what you're using.

Once the .apk file is on your sdcard, then you can open it using a file manager (Astro file manager is a must have app). It will then ask if you want to install.