Political posturing ponderings
It's that time of year again when both camps come out and contribute to global warming by emitting large quanitities of hot air. And politcal ads clog the aireways with negative and mind-bogglingly inaccurate campaigning.

Out here in Western ND we had a long running ad against reducing air pollutant emissions... if one read the fine print at the end, one would discover that the ad was paid for by the coal producers of America. Ironic, considering how much complaining there is when the coal-fired power plants in Estavan, Canada start firing up.

Another ad talks about porkbarrel spending. Well, ladies and gentlemen, love it or shove it, that's how stuff gets done. The ad features repaving a roadway in Hollywood, with a highly polished shoe stepping onto the red carpet. It then goes on to show a map with other cities, including Minot, ND on it. The next bit of blathering is that this cost the "average American family" $10,000 or so. Interesting factoid... I am single, and, make a sizable amount over the average American family income (per census figures). Upon review of my latest tax return, I find that claim to be very inaccurate. If it didn't cost me $10,000... and I've got higher income than the average American family, and fewer deductions/exemptions, I don't see how it could possibly cost the "average American family" $10,000.

The funny thing about "pork" is that it's pork only so long as somebody else is getting it. It's not "pork" if your representative brings it home to youSmile

Interestingly, there are even folks claiming that Minot, AFB is pork. To them I pose a question: Where else would you want to put the only air force base with both strategic bomber and nuclear missle squadrons other than what is effectively the middle of this continent... far away from any viable invasion points?

And then there's Palin and the "right to free speech" mess. What she, and several other ultra-conservative figureheads seem to forget is that exercising a right can bring consequences. With rights come responsibilities, and their ravings seem to create a disconnect. I wonder how S. palin would feel about somebody exercising their First Amendment rights and calling her something akin to a Nazi b!tch. Would be willing to bet that the extreme interest in protecting free speech would vanish very, very quickly.

Several talking heads have forgotten that power and privilege brings responsibilities. I have the right to walk into a store and tell the cashier/manager/owner to go screw him/herself in the corner. However, there will be a consequence, and likely I won't get what I want.
Hi,

(08-20-2010, 04:00 AM)Tris Wrote: . . .

OK. To paraphrase Alton Brown: turn the TV off, put down the remote, and just walk away. Really, walk away.

But, yeah, 2 year election seasons, 5 month Christmas seasons. Who needs them? (Aside from CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc.)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(08-20-2010, 04:00 AM)Tris Wrote: It's that time of year again when both camps come out and contribute to global warming by emitting large quantities of hot air. And political ads clog the airways with negative and mind-bogglingly inaccurate campaigning.
Our race for Governor started out nasty, and it will only get worse. Emmer is a drunk, since he got pinched in a DUI some 20 years ago. And, Dayton is a buffoon, well, because he *really* is a buffoon. Attack Ads are not difficult on Dayton, since he has his 1 term Senate record (and his foot in mouth problems) to defend. His tactic so far has been to go the way of Walter Mondale, and advocate raising taxes to toss more money at education (where a huge portion of our State spending is already funneled into education).
Quote:The funny thing about "pork" is that it's pork only so long as somebody else is getting it. It's not "pork" if your representative brings it home to you.
I'm against it. But, your point is taken. Most don't. I feel pork is a clear example why Congress shouldn't hand out money for every tear jerking project. It's hard to say no to a righteous cause, and there are no end of righteous causes. There are no end to tears, but a finite ability to mortgage the future.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]