This is a news website article about a scientific paper
A colleague sent me this today. It reminded me of quite a number of articles I have seen of late so, of course, I felt compelled to share. Angel

Enjoy!

This is a news website article about a scientific paper.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Ah, science reporting. It is to actual science like the pop love song is to real affection. Generic, stupid, and usually missing the point.

-Jester
(09-28-2010, 10:29 AM)Jester Wrote: Ah, science reporting. It is to actual science like the pop love song is to real affection. Generic, stupid, and usually missing the point.

-Jester

Did you read the article that Shadow linked? It's a parody of scientific reporting with the writer poking fun at the "scientific jouralists" and how they write about scientific papers.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(09-29-2010, 12:42 AM)Lissa Wrote:
(09-28-2010, 10:29 AM)Jester Wrote: Ah, science reporting. It is to actual science like the pop love song is to real affection. Generic, stupid, and usually missing the point.

-Jester

Did you read the article that Shadow linked? It's a parody of scientific reporting with the writer poking fun at the "scientific jouralists" and how they write about scientific papers.

And did you bother to click Jester's link? It's a parody in the same vein as Shadow's link so I'm pretty sure that means he did. Before you accuse others of not checking out all the links, make sure you do.
Intolerant monkey.
And in related news, the small glimmers of actual information that we (in Canada) get to see of government funded research go through an appalling array of 'massage artists' before those science writers even get to write those stories.

The federal government engages in "unacceptable political interference" in the communication of government science, says the head of a group that represents both government press officers and science journalists.

*sigh*

My government really really displays a lot of trickle down 'control freak' behaviour at all levels.
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Hi,

(09-30-2010, 12:11 AM)ShadowHM Wrote: And in related news, the small glimmers of actual information that we (in Canada) get to see of government funded research go through an appalling array of 'massage artists' before those science writers even get to write those stories.

If your government funds it, then your government has the right to control it. After all, they own it. Not that I approve of their censorship.

Short of trying to keep up with the vast amount of scientific literature published monthly, I've found Science News to be the best layman's source. Scientific American, though much declined in quality, is still a good source for more extended articles.

--Pete

Sorry, the link to Science News seems to be broken. Help appreciated.

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(09-30-2010, 02:20 AM)--Pete Wrote: If your government funds it, then your government has the right to control it. After all, they own it. Not that I approve of their censorship.

If my government funds it, then *I* own it. And I refuse to recognize any smarmy little bureaucrat's (or elected politician's) *right* to control it.
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Hi,

(09-30-2010, 02:37 AM)ShadowHM Wrote: If my government funds it, then *I* own it. And I refuse to recognize any smarmy little bureaucrat's (or elected politician's) *right* to control it.

Ah, been reading the Brothers Grim again, have you? I went down to the marina just the other week and tried to claim *my* flattop. They just wouldn't believe me when I told them I owned it. Been making payments on it all my life. I had to leave without it.

Might makes right. The might of the government trumps the individual, the might of enough united individuals trumps the government. Maybe not the way it should be, but the way it is. And has been pretty much everywhere and every-when. Individual freedom wasn't born at Runnymede in 1215, individual freedom was born when English kings started to depend on their yeomen and the long bow.

--Pete

(09-30-2010, 08:47 PM)--Pete Wrote: Ah, been reading the Brothers Grim again, have you? I went down to the marina just the other week and tried to claim *my* flattop. They just wouldn't believe me when I told them I owned it. Been making payments on it all my life. I had to leave without it.

Tongue It is *my* bridge that I cross under every day when I walk to work. I have no desire to re-locate it, but I can and have said some firm and derogatory things to the individuals I have seen defacing the walls. It is evident that the defacing is a continuous process, but it doesn't happen on my watch.

However, you are conflating physical property with intellectual property. If I pass information to you, I still have it.

Quote:Might makes right. The might of the government trumps the individual, the might of enough united individuals trumps the government. Maybe not the way it should be, but the way it is. And has been pretty much everywhere and every-when. Individual freedom wasn't born at Runnymede in 1215, individual freedom was born when English kings started to depend on their yeomen and the long bow.

Thanks for the history lesson. Wink

So were you telling me to shut up and let it go? Or what? Because it really all starts with the individual, IMO. If I shut up and let it go, then there didn't even have to be any might involved, did there?

Afterthought: Have you ever actually read the Brothers Grim? Methinks your reference is off. Either that or I missed something in your post. Huh
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Hi,

(09-30-2010, 09:23 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: So were you telling me to shut up and let it go? Or what? Because it really all starts with the individual, IMO. If I shut up and let it go, then there didn't even have to be any might involved, did there?

Nope, as a first class ranter, I can appreciate the rants of others. Wink

But if you really want to do something about it, organize. Start a letter campaign, get a group going on Facebook, set up a web page. Or find one of those and join. In other words, build your own might. But don't expect to get it fixed just because fixing it is the right thing to do. *After* you win with the sword, then you can let the pen speak as to why what you did was right, good, and noble. The loser doesn't get to deny it. Smile

(09-30-2010, 09:23 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Afterthought: Have you ever actually read the Brothers Grim? Methinks your reference is off. Either that or I missed something in your post. Huh

Brothers Grim = fairy tales. My German isn't up to the task, but I've read many of them in translation. I don't understand what you might have missed. ?

--Pete

(09-30-2010, 10:27 PM)--Pete Wrote: Brothers Grim = fairy tales. My German isn't up to the task, but I've read many of them in translation. I don't understand what you might have missed. ?

--Pete

Pete, there are Disney-style 'fairy tales' wherein all is sweetness and light and the Good Guys™ always prevail.

And then there are the tales collected by the Brothers Grim. Not the same thing at all. The ones I have read (all in translation) usually end with maiming, horror and/or death. They are dark tales with little light - usually cautionary tales intended to scare people into doing what others think is right.

That is why I asked.

(I have just seached my bookshelves and discovered that (of course) my copy is not here, but at the cottage, so I cannot verify my recollection or give the edition I have.)
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Hi,

(10-01-2010, 01:48 AM)ShadowHM Wrote: And then there are the tales collected by the Brothers Grim. Not the same thing at all. The ones I have read (all in translation) usually end with maiming, horror and/or death. They are dark tales with little light - usually cautionary tales intended to scare people into doing what others think is right.

That is why I asked.

(I have just seached my bookshelves and discovered that (of course) my copy is not here, but at the cottage, so I cannot verify my recollection or give the edition I have.)

My recollection of the Brothers Grim matches yours. I wasn't referring to happy endings, just to improbable fiction. Which they most definitely are.

--Pete

(10-01-2010, 03:27 AM)--Pete Wrote: My recollection of the Brothers Grim matches yours. I wasn't referring to happy endings, just to improbable fiction. Which they most definitely are.

--Pete

You don't believe that a woman would actually cut off her toe or heel just to try to trick a man into marrying her? Wink
Intolerant monkey.
Who are these Brothers Grim you guys keep referring to? Are they an Americanized version of the Brothers Grimm?
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

(10-01-2010, 03:57 AM)LennyLen Wrote: Who are these Brothers Grim you guys keep referring to? Are they an Americanized version of the Brothers Grimm?

m m m m m m m m

Use as needed. Smile

--Pete