Fishing skillups broken?
Fishing skillups over level 500 seem broken or changed. My paladin is taking ten times more catches to level fishing as my then level 5 hunter required when she leveled fishing.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I was under the impression that it took more catches the higher your fishing got to gain skillups. At least, that is the way it seemed when I leveled fishing in wrath. The closer I got to 450, the longer it took.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(12-20-2010, 02:19 PM)shoju Wrote: I was under the impression that it took more catches the higher your fishing got to gain skillups. At least, that is the way it seemed when I leveled fishing in wrath. The closer I got to 450, the longer it took.

This is what I have observed. It always seemed to be a set number of casts before you get a point. The recent hotfix list does indicate that they increased the casts needed past 500.

That being said, it seemed to me it's still a lot easier to level fishing than it used to be. My last point from 524 to 525 only took 9 casts.
ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT
I think it was guesstimated that levelling pretty much the entirety of Grand Illustrious Fishing takes about an average of 10 casts per skillup.

Haven't hit the cap yet (The only profession I've maxed out so far is Skinning, and I did that literally half way through questing through Vashj'ir), but it does seem that fishing is easier to level this time around, even if it is tedious. The two major points being:

1) Orgrimmar/Stormwind Fishing dailies: An easy +1 skill per day, plus whatever you gain through the fishing quests (Namely, the ones that actually involve fishing).
2) Back at the start of Wrath we still had a failure rate for fishing. If your skill was only juuuuust high enough to be able to fish in a particular zone, there was a pretty high chance of failing to land a fish per cast and getting nothing - No fish, no loot, no chance to skillup. About midway through Wrath it was replaced with a chance to fish up junk (Which still counted towards your next skillup), with an overlevelled skill for that particular pool eliminated the junk chance.

Fishing is easier now than it was at the same point as it was in Wrath. Hell, anyone remember back when there was still a chance to fish up absolutely nothing in Classic and TBC? Still happens infrequently now, but that's probably due to getting a catching at the 3-second point and latency screwing everything up; it happens now due to a bug rather than as a feature.

Still, there seems to be less incentive to level fishing now than during Wrath. I'm fairly certain I speak for a few people when I say that the only reason I maxed out fishing was trying to catch the Dalaran Sewer Rat (For others, it was the Eventide coins, which I also did). There doesn't seem to be anything worth fishing for in Cataclysm; seems Archaeology is the way to go for neat stuff now, and I'm beginning to really hate that profession.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
(12-20-2010, 03:20 PM)Shamago Wrote:
(12-20-2010, 02:19 PM)shoju Wrote: I was under the impression that it took more catches the higher your fishing got to gain skillups. At least, that is the way it seemed when I leveled fishing in wrath. The closer I got to 450, the longer it took.

This is what I have observed. It always seemed to be a set number of casts before you get a point. The recent hotfix list does indicate that they increased the casts needed past 500.

That being said, it seemed to me it's still a lot easier to level fishing than it used to be. My last point from 524 to 525 only took 9 casts.

Then I guess the change was intentional. From 501 to 525 my hunter leveled every cast. When someone else got realm first Illustrious Angler my hunter was only 496. I wondered "How can that be?" I found out a few casts later.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."