The annual "What did you get for Christmas?" thread.
I had a pretty awesome Christmas. My wife went above and beyond this year for me. She got me a small beer fridge for my mancave/basement recroom, which is exactly what I wanted. I had been looking for a small black fridge for years now, without a freezer, that can hold a full 24-case of beer + a little bit more, which also has multiple movable shelves. I haven't been able to find one for any kind of reasonable price. She found one somewhere and I love it. The rest of my extended family got wind of my present early so I also got a bunch of stuff to put in said beer fridge. I now have a 5 Litre Heinekin keg, TWO bottles of Glenfiddich, and a full (*) case of beer chilling in my new fridge. And it's quiet and energy efficient!

I also got the standard Christmas fare - slippers/underpants/socks. It's just not Christmas without those. I also got a pretty kickass winter hat. It's one of those ones with fold-down furry earflaps.

The best present I got though, was my that my parents made the long drive to stay with us for a few days. My mom made two kinds of FUDGEHeart

*- the fridge is less than full right now. I had to test out the ergonomics of retrieving beer from the fridge. This testing might take awhile.
Hi,

(12-26-2010, 03:35 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I had to test out the ergonomics of retrieving beer from the fridge. This testing might take awhile.

Remember, experiments are only valid if they're repeatable, duplicated by others, and peer reviewed. Merry post-Christmas parting. Smile

Me, I got my sixth bonus Christmas. Cool

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I got what I usually get - nothing.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
From my brother:
[Image: dalwhinnie_15_year_old_malt_whisky.jpg]

I didn't realise how well he actually knew me. The whisky was a sweet gift indeed!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
(12-26-2010, 03:35 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I had a pretty awesome Christmas.

I am happy for you getting that new fridge, but keep Glenfiddich out of it.
And if your keg says Heinekin it is probably a fake.
Hi,

(12-26-2010, 08:26 PM)eppie Wrote: ... but keep Glenfiddich out of it.

I'll second that. Flavor is mostly scent. By chilling something, you are blocking a lot of its flavor. Good scotch should be served like brandy, at room temperature or a little above. Traditionally in a short, heavy tumbler, but a snifter actually traps the aroma better. The warmth of your hand helps to release the compounds that give it its distinctive taste. Good scotch should never be mixed with anything but water, and even that only for children under 13.

If you want something to drink cold, or put in mixed drinks, buy some Cutty Sark or other industrial strength solvent.

Oh, and the same holds true of real beer. All refrigeration does is hide the awfulness of the taste of bad beer and reduce the awesomeness of the taste of good.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Six stitches at the emergency room. :-)

I was trying to get some over done brownies out of a pan and ended up stabbing myself in the hand.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

We don't do much for ourselves with kids. I prefer it that way.

From my Wife: My favorite TV Show, Rescue Me: Seasons 1-5
From my Children: More Coca-Cola glasses to add to my collection (I love Coca-Cola Glassware)
From my Parents: Cash
From my In-Laws: New Book: Full Dark No Stars (Stephen King Short stories), a sweet lined Hoodie that is so freaking warm I took my coat off tonight and was walking around in 15F weather just wearing it, and still sweating.
From my Sister: Cinemark Gift Card. (very very cool)
From my sister in law: a night out for me and my wife.

'twas a good christmas indeed. Especially considering that my family is happy, healthy, and safe, and that my children were very stoked about the gifts they received.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(12-26-2010, 08:26 PM)eppie Wrote: I am happy for you getting that new fridge, but keep Glenfiddich out of it.
And if your keg says Heinekin it is probably a fake.

I typo'ed Heineken. Please forgive me.

The scotch thing I had no idea about. I enjoy a small bit of scotch with some ice, but you are saying that warm scotch is better? Clearly I have a lot to learn about good scotch.