This Day in History
Hi

The CBC puts up a 'This Day in History' that I like to check - both to listen and to read.

Today's hits near home for me so I thought I would share.

Bitter bush strike turns deadly

I vaguely recall some tension in my home at this time, but it did not directly affect any family members, so it was likely only because of sympathies with those affected.

However, this directly affected a woman I know:

Pierrette's father owned the land where the battle took place. She and her brothers and sisters were hidden in a barn away from their homestead across the road from where the jobbers lay in wait.
She told me that bullets were hitting the walls of the barn as the guns were blazing. Her father rented the log trailers to the jobbers as well as the huts that they pulled into the bush with their horses. Her father did the blacksmith work for the jobbers and they had to get their wood out to the siding before breakup, when the frost came out. They could not wait for the strike to end or they would have lost their entire years income. The statue on the site of the battle is just across from the site of the old homestead. All the children became wards of the Children's Aid Society, a year later when their mother left.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hi,

(02-11-2011, 06:59 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: Bitter bush strike turns deadly

Wow, 1963. '23 or even '33 I'd not be too surprised, but violent union versus non-union in the '60s surprised me.

(02-11-2011, 06:59 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: ... they had to get their wood out to the siding before breakup, when the frost came out. They could not wait for the strike to end or they would have lost their entire years income.

Every story has two (or more) sides. Thanks for the reminder.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

The year was the first thing that caught me as well Pete. Wow. 1960's.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright