New computer
(04-07-2011, 03:57 PM)Jarulf Wrote:
(04-07-2011, 12:33 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Argh. Smile This is why buying a new PC is agony. Knowing when to buy is as important as knowing what to buy.

Well, not really. Whenever you buy, you could always have waited another weak or month and get that new or updated thing for it. So no point in waiting Smile

In reality there is of course reasons for waiting if there is a larger update for something that more seldom happens that might make it worth waiting for but in general, I think one can just buy whenever one need a new computer and know that anyoe buying next month will get something better.

I mostly agree with this.

Right now, video cards are something that I'm banking will be a huge difference next gen.

This gen was supposed to be 32nm, but that didn't happen and they'll go straight from 40nm to 28nm. A full 100% shrink. Performance should be very substantially better next gen.

If you are currently on 1280x1024, you might consider keeping your 9800GTX until the next gen is out. Especially since you mentioned that you're not seeing too much in the way of performance issues. Let the rest of your upgrade scratch the itch and wait for the next gen cards where you should see close to double the performance at any given price point (or conversely, probably about 60-70% the price for any given performance point).

I am also currently on 1280x1024 (2 of them, but game plays on only one, I use the other for other functions. In WoW, I moved all the maps, chat windows and other interesting add-ons to the other monitor). I am holding off on a monitor and video card upgrade until the next gen. We'll see where my budget is, but I'm hoping to have enough for a big 27" 2560x1440. Should be a big step up, and if my gut is right on video card improvements, we should see $200 cards able to drive that pretty well.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
The Llano cores are also a shrink over previous Phenoms, and I don't know what else they changed, but it should be a performance boost over the previous versions, in addition to the power savings and the GPU (which is not the one on the E350/Ontario). It should make a pretty kick-butt notebook.

It's been a couple of years since I did a new computer, and I'm excited to build one based on Bulldozer to see what it can do.

Yeah, I wish I could say more. Tongue
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
(04-07-2011, 08:44 PM)Klaus Wrote: It's been a couple of years since I did a new computer, and I'm excited to build one based on Bulldozer to see what it can do.

Yeah, I wish I could say more. Tongue

Whenever you are drunk and feel like sharing, please say more. My tax refund will be larger than anticipated and I'm still trying to get WoW up to 60 FPS.

But if AMD doesn't hurry itself up the refund may go to other necessities like food and shelter. Even if Bulldozer (and new motherboard) are too expensive, I'm hoping prices on existing Phenom II processors will tank, and maybe I can get a faster one than my existing 720. Unfortunately I don't think any of the current line up will give me 60 FPS though.

Would have been nice if Bulldozer had the option to work in socket AM3.

Edit: I have a question about AM3+, and since AM3+ motherboards (or at least one AM3+ motherboard at newegg) are on the market perhaps the AM3+ standard can be spoken of: do you or anyone know if AM3+ specifies more room between the CPU socket and the RAM sockets? On my Asus M4A79T Deluxe AM3 motherboard the first two RAM sockets are unusable because of too little space. Bad design in my opinion.

Another unrelated computer question: since current motherboards seem to have dropped the floppy socket, does anyone know of a PCI or PCIe floppy controller card?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Helloooo Meat,

Did you buy yet?

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Concillian Wrote:In WoW, I moved all the maps, chat windows and other interesting add-ons to the other monitor).

How do you do this?
(04-17-2011, 04:54 PM)Jim Wrote: Helloooo Meat,

Did you buy yet?

No. This month is a three pay-check month. On my monthly budget, I only require two of these paychecks, so when the third comes in, I'm getting the computer. So early May at the latest.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(04-18-2011, 01:30 AM)MEAT Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 04:54 PM)Jim Wrote: Helloooo Meat,

Did you buy yet?

No. This month is a three pay-check month. On my monthly budget, I only require two of these paychecks, so when the third comes in, I'm getting the computer. So early May at the latest.

Hi,

Which computer did you choose, or do you need or want more INFO or suggestions?

Quote:Buying or building a computer is very much a personal choice. For me when I built mine I took more time choosing the Case than all the other parts.

[Image: CleanComp003sm.jpg]...............................[Image: Angry.gif]
My 2 year old Build:
CASE: Antec 900
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Retail [I can run all 4 cores]
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Support AM3 Socket Phenom II DDR3 CPU Only
MEM: OCZ OCZ3P13334GK 4gb kit (2gb x 2) 1333mhz 7-7-7-20 240-pin ddr3 dimm w/heat spreader
VC: MSI N9800GT-T2D512-OC V2 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI, Retail OC Edition overclocked to 660Mhz
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" - OEM
DVDROM: Sony Optiarc Black 24X 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM
MONITOR: Samsung 22" w/TV tuner
Cost $770.00 [cheap VC $60]

Edit: I purchased these after the build for my Roku.
NIC Card: D-Link DGE-530T 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Gigabit Desktop Adapter 1 x RJ45
Router: D-Link DIR-655 802.11b/g/n Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Broadband Router up to 300Mbps/ USB port x1/ Intelligent QoS Technology for Gaming

(04-18-2011, 02:36 AM)Jim Wrote: Which computer did you choose, or do you need or want more INFO or suggestions?
Cool, except... I would go ahead and spend the $20 to get the black ergonomic keyboard. :-) Save the white one as a backup for the inevitable spilled soda accident.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

(04-18-2011, 10:32 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Cool, except... I would go ahead and spend the $20 to get the black ergonomic keyboard. :-) Save the white one as a backup for the inevitable spilled soda accident.

Unless you are a professional writer, I don't think a split keyboard is a good idea. While playing games (or just web surfing) you are not going to be in the touch typist's ready position. Odds are you'll do a lot of your typing with your left hand (assuming you are right handed) while keeping your right hand on your mouse/trackball (or 12 year old single malt). The split keyboard actually makes that harder.

If you are a professional writer, then a split keyboard does make sense, as does converting to Dvorák (or some other modern standard). Both measures will tend to reduce fatigue and repetitive stress injuries. Of course, with USP technology, there is no reason not to have as many keyboards of as many types as one desires -- all hooked up at once.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(04-16-2011, 10:47 PM)LavCat Wrote: My tax refund will be larger than anticipated and I'm still trying to get WoW up to 60 FPS.
Aye, me too, I hope. I've been filing extensions with the ($#@!^%*) IRS for 2009 taxes, because of my 2008-2009 financial mess, but the IRS finally came back and gave me a deadline (or face the ominous penalties). It turns out, according to my tax accountant, that I came out ahead (tax wise) for both 2009 and 2010. But, I'm waiting for the money to be in the bank, since my finances were so complicated for 2008-2009 that I'm paranoid of getting an audit Sad . I guess the worst case would be that I spend it and later they tell me I owe them some thousands.

But, assuming everything pans out for the good, I'll have enough to replace my dying washer/dryer and get a new gaming computer. On the other hand, I suppose they might come in the middle of night with their black helicopters. Smile But, that's my tax rebellious, anti-gov't paranoia talking.

One great thing about nagging adolescent boys is that they've convinced my wife that we need a good gaming machine in the house. Now she's nagging me about getting a new computer, rather than vice versa. The boys want us to get a machine that will handle Starcraft 2, ES5 - Skyrim, and some other graphics intensive newer games. I'd like to get back into WoW casually, since my new job gives me much more flexibility with hours.
(04-18-2011, 11:34 PM)--Pete Wrote: Unless you are a professional writer, I don't think a split keyboard is a good idea. While playing games (or just web surfing) you are not going to be in the touch typist's ready position. Odds are you'll do a lot of your typing with your left hand (assuming you are right handed) while keeping your right hand on your mouse/trackball (or 12 year old single malt). The split keyboard actually makes that harder.

If you are a professional writer, then a split keyboard does make sense, as does converting to Dvorák (or some other modern standard). Both measures will tend to reduce fatigue and repetitive stress injuries. Of course, with USP technology, there is no reason not to have as many keyboards of as many types as one desires -- all hooked up at once.

--Pete
I agree with you Pete. Personally, I prefer black 102-key qwerty keyboards and the smaller the better. I'd rather use the extra desk space for mouse pads, papers, and a cool or hot beverage (out of spill range of the electronics). For gaming, if I can find one that works well, I'd like one with programmable macro buttons, and multiple game profiles. Maybe like this one; http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/...vices/5902

I was just commenting on his photo, and I assumed that since he had one that he was used to it. I know for me, the hard part is switching from one to another, but personally I spent my first decade or so of my computing life with qwerty terminals and various heinous microcomputer keyboards until the IBM PC came along. Even then it was some time until the ergonomic keyboard was even an option, and by then my frenetic unorthodox variable wpm typing skills require no humps between my left and right hands. :-)

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Hi,

This is my favorite gaming keyboard, having the spit allows me to easly find the 6 center keys I don't have to find them from memory. It's an RPG keyboard, T = Target, Y = Look backwards, H Heal Etc. different keys for different RPG's makes no sense & yes I use Keybinder to change some keys. Besides a black keyboard shows booger spray, dirt & dust white does not. Tongue

I also use a Trackball, I know I loss about 10 - 20% accuracy, but at least I'm not going to get Carpal Tunnel. Smile

Quote:[Image: Mycomputer.jpg]......[Image: MSNaturalKeyboardPro.jpg]
]

(04-19-2011, 02:16 AM)Jim Wrote: Besides a black keyboard shows booger spray, dirt & dust white does not. Tongue
TMI! Eeeeew! :lol

(04-19-2011, 12:59 AM)kandrathe Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 10:47 PM)LavCat Wrote: My tax refund will be larger than anticipated and I'm still trying to get WoW up to 60 FPS.
Aye, me too, I hope. I've been filing extensions with the ($#@!^%*) IRS for 2009 taxes, because of my 2008-2009 financial mess, but the IRS finally came back and gave me a deadline (or face the ominous penalties). It turns out, according to my tax accountant, that I came out ahead (tax wise) for both 2009 and 2010. But, I'm waiting for the money to be in the bank, since my finances were so complicated for 2008-2009 that I'm paranoid of getting an audit Sad . I guess the worst case would be that I spend it and later they tell me I owe them some thousands.

But, assuming everything pans out for the good, I'll have enough to replace my dying washer/dryer and get a new gaming computer. On the other hand, I suppose they might come in the middle of night with their black helicopters. Smile But, that's my tax rebellious, anti-gov't paranoia talking.

You've never lived till you've had a agent ring your doorbell.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(04-19-2011, 03:50 AM)LavCat Wrote:
(04-19-2011, 12:59 AM)kandrathe Wrote:

You've never lived till you've had a agent ring your doorbell.
As you can see, we've had our eye on you for some time now, Mr. Anderson. It seems that you've been living two lives. In one life, you're John Q. Anderson, researcher, and former program writer for a respectable software company. You have a social security number, you eventually pay your taxes, have a wife and kids and you … help your children carry out the garbage every Wednesday at 8:30am. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the hacker alias "Kandrathe" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.

(04-17-2011, 05:56 PM)wail Wrote:
Concillian Wrote:In WoW, I moved all the maps, chat windows and other interesting add-ons to the other monitor).

How do you do this?

This is off-topic from this particular thread, I'll mention what I've done, but further discussion probably should go in a new thread in one of the WoW secotions.

You just need two mods:
1) a mod to change the viewport location (so it's not centered) I use CT viewport. The 'viewport' is the area of the screen used for the graphics of the game... character and the surroundings. UI elements are not part of the viewport.
2) A mod to move elements of the UI that are not movable by default. (minimap, for example) There are a few of these, moveanything and others.

Also, other mods start making more sense. Like the default map takes over your entire screen when you hit 'm' An alternate map mod will allow you to have a smaller version of the map open all the time on the 2nd screen while also being able to see where you're going (think archaeology, for example, or quests)

A buff / debuff mod is also nearly essential. These are important to keep track of in a fair bit of endgame activities, and they are all the way on the upper right in the default UI.

Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
thanks for the info. That is a lot more involved than I had hoped. Hopefully Blizzard will help us in this area some day.
I'm so mad right now I came here to vent! I went to the dentist (first time in around 15 years), and apparently I need some work done - 4-fillings on my right, and left side, complete cleaning, some antibiotic that goes between the tooth and gums in several spots, and something else... In total, the procedure will cost around $5k, however with insurance, lucky me it only costs $1400.... which was almost exactly what i was going to pay for my computer! Why can't I just get a new computer?!? This is the SECOND time I posted I wanted to get a new computer on these forums, figured out what I needed, then real-life got in the way. Why can't I get ahead?!? Now I have to wait another 3 months for my next bonus check... <sigh>
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hi,

(04-23-2011, 08:19 PM)MEAT Wrote: ...

Do you plan to die young? Because you can always get a new computer, but teeth are a once in a lifetime purchase. And if you went in two or three times a year for cleaning, etc., you probably wouldn't need the fillings, etc.

Not my business. And condolences on not getting the computer (yet). But always remember, oral plaque is just a polite way of saying hardened bacterial shit.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(04-23-2011, 11:45 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(04-23-2011, 08:19 PM)MEAT Wrote: ...

But always remember, oral plaque is just a polite way of saying hardened bacterial shit.

--Pete

Hi,

I agree with Pete 100%, this one time ONLY !!! [Image: an_img18.gif]

[Image: denture.jpg]
This might be me next year. Angry

(04-23-2011, 08:19 PM)MEAT Wrote: I'm so mad right now I came here to vent! I went to the dentist (first time in around 15 years), and apparently I need some work done - 4-fillings on my right, and left side, complete cleaning, some antibiotic that goes between the tooth and gums in several spots, and something else... In total, the procedure will cost around $5k, however with insurance, lucky me it only costs $1400.... which was almost exactly what i was going to pay for my computer! Why can't I just get a new computer?!? This is the SECOND time I posted I wanted to get a new computer on these forums, figured out what I needed, then real-life got in the way. Why can't I get ahead?!? Now I have to wait another 3 months for my next bonus check... <sigh>
That reminds me... I need to call and argue with my dental insurance company about their refusal to pay for two "inspections" in the same month... It seems that every time an actual dentist looks in your mouth, they expect to get paid for it. Smile I went in for an emergency Crown reseating (it came loose after 10 years -- eating Swedish fish mind you), and then coincidentally, two weeks later it was time for my cleaning and *real* dental inspection. It frosts me a bit, as I've diligently paid that same insurance company for my entire adult life and beyond checkups, I've maybe cost them a bit less than $2000 in additional dental work (mostly getting my Wisdom teeth pulled). They get about $300 per year from me, and I consume about 1/3 of that in a normal year. I figure they should still be about $5000 ahead in lifetime earnings on me.

But, I hear you. There always seems to be some emergency that puts our wants behind our needs. I'm happy I'm still chewing on slightly beat up originals, less the normal replacements during childhood. Although, the child rearing years are taking their toll with the availability of sweets around the house now. I'm one who exhibits willpower in not having the temptations available.

Now, where are those peeps?

[Image: peeps1.jpg]