Blizzard introduces "official" method of $$$ to gold
$10 One time use BoE pet available at the Blizzard store.

Quote:Q: Could I put the Guardian Cub up on the auction house to try to make some gold if I wanted to?

While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection, we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services. However, please keep in mind that there's never any guarantee that someone will purchase what you put up for sale in the auction house, or how much they'll pay for it. Also, it’s important to note that we take a firm stance against buying gold from outside sources because in most cases, the gold these companies offer has been stolen from compromised accounts. (You can read more about our stance here.) While some players might be able to acquire some extra gold by putting the Guardian Cub in the auction house, that’s preferable to players contributing to the gold-selling “black market” and account theft.

I consider it a pretty large step, and not a very good one.

It certainly has the potential to become a player bassed currency (Stone of Jordan) While I doubt this will happen, it does make it possible to legitimately 'buy gear' now... at least craftables and BoE gear. Also potentially services (carry me through xyz instance for gear).

Interested in other Lurker opinions.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Dang, someone just keeps greasing up that slope! Why is it getting more slippery every few months?

I'll see you next year when Blizzard starts selling transmogrification gear.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
When I first read this I thought it was in regards to D3 $AH vs gAH and didn't understand how this was any different from what I expect to happen there.

Since this is WoW, how many Blizzard store BoE pets are there? I had always assumed they were BoA. As long as Bliz doesn't start pumping out BoE pets, as a wink-wink-nudge-nugde to their back room approval of their own gold selling, I just don't think it will amount to anything. It might work for the first few sold but would quickly break down. Fools would try to get in on the action and chump themselves leaving them out real money rather than in game gold. Of course, some people have too much money and they might be OK with a low return on their $ for seemingly Bliz sanctioned gold. If they want to make donations to Blizzard, which I'm certain Bliz would pump directly into game development for my own gaming pleasure Rolleyes , so be it.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
As a person with more wow gold than I know what to do with, I have no problem with this.
(10-11-2011, 08:42 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Since this is WoW, how many Blizzard store BoE pets are there? I had always assumed they were BoA.

From what I understand, they were all BoA before this one. $10 would get you one fore every character on your account. I have never bought a mount or pet from the Blizzard store, so I am not 100% certain, but this is my understanding.

This one is different, BoE and $10 gets you one for use on one character of your choice (or to sell on the AH).

Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
At first, I was pretty unhappy about it, but it doesn't infuse gold into the economy, so I don't have a big problem with it. You pay $10 to take money from another player.

$10 in gold seller gold is about 8k gold.

I expect these pets to sell in the 3-5k range.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(10-11-2011, 09:54 PM)Concillian Wrote: From what I understand, they were all BoA before this one. $10 would get you one fore every character on your account. I have never bought a mount or pet from the Blizzard store, so I am not 100% certain, but this is my understanding.

Yeah this is how it works. It also works that way for the Corehound Pup you get when you buy an authenticator.
While you might be able to "buy" gold this way, it isn't actually a big deal. It's not a guaranteed sale on the AH -- you need to compete with everyone else who's trying to get gold this way.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(10-11-2011, 09:54 PM)Concillian Wrote: From what I understand, they were all BoA before this one. $10 would get you one fore every character on your account. I have never bought a mount or pet from the Blizzard store, so I am not 100% certain, but this is my understanding.

You've got it right. Any pets or mounts bought through the store are BoA items that get automagically mailed to each character, new or existing, on that account.
(10-11-2011, 11:10 PM)shoju Wrote: At first, I was pretty unhappy about it, but it doesn't infuse gold into the economy, so I don't have a big problem with it. You pay $10 to take money from another player.

$10 in gold seller gold is about 8k gold.

I expect these pets to sell in the 3-5k range.

Yeah, that was my take on it, and they did point this out. It's not adding gold to the economy. It's just taking it from someone else, and you can bet people won't make the riches they think they will from this, since just like all the other stuff, it's accessible by anyone who wants to put up the $10.

No, there's a *very clear* line on WoW cash sales for me. When they start selling non-vanity items that actually give stats and/or do damage, then I have a problem with it. Ok, so technically, you can buy BoEs with the gold from one of these. Most BoEs from firelands are still high as hell, so 3-5K, or even 8K won't buy one. You have to get someone to buy multiple pets on the game, and then buy the high-priced BoE. If someone's that rabid about it, whatever. I can make 3-5K gold pretty fast anyway, so I really don't see the issue with it. I don't buy the slippery slope thing, either. If they start selling tier sets for cash or similar, then I'll be pissed off, but not till the time comes. Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and thermonuclear weapons.

I won't buy one, but I don't object to it. It's a *vanity item*.
--Mav