The Passing of a Lounger
(10-18-2011, 08:41 AM)Kylearan Wrote: I recommend ShadowHM's interview with Pete on RB here to get some insight into how games have influenced him.

Perhaps I was the only one that had never seen this, but I found it interesting, thanks. I was struck by his birth name, Grandolfi, the similarity to Gandalf being very appropriate. Cool
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I never did engage in discussion with Pete (probably to my regret) during my time lurking here. However, I am familiar with his past contributions to Diablo 1 discussion, as well as his trademark posting style. LL certainly feels a lot different without you.
I am one of the persons who did not hit it off well with Pete. In fact, we seem to have a mutual dislike for one another and I even put him on ignore. That said, it is always regrettable to find out some one you engaged with (for good or bad) in any online community passed on. My condolences to those close to him, RIP.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Sorry to hear. Pete was good at pulling up people who started spouting BS (I've been in that list dammit ;p )
I spoke with Magi last night for a bit. She is so brave. I am in awe of her.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Damn. He will be missed. He may not have known it, but he taught me something almost no one else could.
read this in shock... thanks for all your contributions over the years Pete.
Such terribly sad news. Pete, you will be missed.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Just read the news from a link at RB. Still shell-shocked at the moment, but at least the tears have passed. I don't have any real words at the moment.

Pete, you will be sorely missed. Magi, I hope you find comfort in these times.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I am sorry I did not get to know Pete better. Magi, my condolences.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
(10-18-2011, 05:42 AM)LemmingofGlory Wrote: My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "Not Pete." This is the first time I've found his presence remotely disappointing.

My reaction as well. (Also, kudos to a post that managed to turn that frown upside down).

I won't repeat what everyone else has so eloquently said about our dear friend, except to say he will be missed.

I liked him, as much as you can like any "internet person"... Pete made sure we knew there was a real life character behind his posts. In the few discussions where we disagreed, I was never able to counter his arguments, as I'm sure there were very few who could. But despite those few occasions where we didn't see eye to eye, I always had tremendous respect for the poster - and for the man.

Found a passage in the thesis I wrote about the language and communication conventions here on the LL:
Quote:As in oral conversation, the level of formulaicness in forum posts varies. While some users are consistent and compose their forum post utilising the same structure over and over, for the most part, forum posts have no requisite formula. The users “Pete” and “Kylearan” from The Lurker Lounge are two of the few people who remain consistent in structuring their replies. Their forum posts are made up of the following features (in order): general greeting (“Hi,”), quoted passage, comment, general signature (“- Pete”). Of the 20 forum posts Pete contributed to the present study, thirteen are structured in this manner, six simply omit the quote, and the final post follows the same pattern as the initial thirteen, but has an added comment between the greeting and the quoted passage. However, although Pete is consistent in his use of this structure, it is not a universal one, and very few users demonstrate the same level of consistency in their forum post structure.

My thoughts go out to his friends, family and his wife, Magi.

PS: Pete, thanks for the "Rock Band" drum kit peripheral you bought and shipped over the Atlantic for me. It brought hundreds of hours of joy into my life. I never knew I'd see that kind of kindness from a complete stranger. That was you.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Oh no! I can't believe this! To me, he was a constant. An eternal, invaluable, certainly irreplaceable presence in the community. I literally feel something weighing me down, this is just unreal. I hate to admit it, but I have tears in my eyes right now. Rest in peace Pete.
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
Just saw this, and I don't really know what to say.

Magi, my sincere condolences.

Learmed much from Pete's postings since DSF. Strangely, of all things, I remember copying and saving his flaming posts because they are so darn good.
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
It's not an exaggeration to say that Pete truly was a fixture of the Lurker Lounge and the forums that preceded it, and that as a community we are poorer for his loss. Skandranon used exactly the right word, in my opinion: iconic. He knew how to leave a lasting impression in a way (more than one way, really!) that won't be easily equaled. Smile

Thinking about Pete and this sad news, I found myself reminded of the final lines, especially, of Edna St. Vincent Millay's "Dirge Without Music", which I feel speak for themselves:

Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.

My sincere condolences, Magi.
I was afraid when I saw the title that this was what it was about. Really sad to hear that and my condolences to all his family and friends. The earliest DSF post of his that I could dig up is here (from Oct 1997):

http://web.archive.org/web/1997102410252...index5.htm

No idea what Pete had to say about New Unique Items(long), but I'm guessing if the original post was nonsense, it was something cranky. Smile
I haven't had time to game in many a year, but I always enjoyed reading Pete's dialogs when I would check in. He was never afraid to tell you when your s___ stank. His honesty was always refreshing to hear. I personally never thought of him as a curmudgeon because he seemed to do things in an effort to help, not just out of selfish meanness.

My condolances to you Magi.
cheezz
"I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it."-Dogbert

"The truth is always greater that the words we use to describe it."

[Image: fun.jpg]

My condolences to his family and loved ones.

I didn't always agree with his points 100%. But I could count on him at least trying to be as objective as possible. And that's a pretty rare thing in this world from what I've seen.

You will be missed good sir.
I'm sorry to hear such sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones he's left behind; including those on this board.
Peace,
Xyngynkynyn
I, too, was deeply saddened by news of Pete's death and extend condolences to my dear friend and old guildmate, - Magi. She and I would often play co-op Diablo games with another guild member who was quite aggressive with her Windforce-driven arrows. Pete, in his adjoining computer, would have Magi admonish my poor warrior to wear his "butt plate of absorbtion". In recent years, I have continued to lurk the forums here mainly to see his posts in those endless "Kandrathe-Jester" threads. RIP, old friend.
What a sad, sad reason to pop out of deep lurk mode...
But it's been almost 15 years since those glory days of the Diablo Strategy Forum and I still remember Pete as one of it's finest.
My condolescence to Magi and everyone who lost a friend.

With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince...
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. ...
and still keep the frog you started with.