The Passing of a Lounger
Today, long-time Poster and Lounge regular --Pete passed away.

Anyone else who is a regular of the Lurker Lounge knows that this is a big loss for our community. The Lounge is a small, tight-knit group, and for many of us, this is a "home" on the Internet that's more than just a gaming forum. Pete was one of those for which this was indeed a home, and the Lounge an outlet for his thoughts, opinions, and advice.

I've known Pete online since roughly 1997, and in all that time, he's always been one of the "elders" of the community. While he describes himself as "A gentler, kinder Curmudgeon," I've seen the non-curmudgeonly side of him as well. Pete was one of the few who always supported the Lounge and egged me on to keep the site going during the down years, both financially and emotionally. His impact on the Diablo world goes well beyond this website, as well. If you were a hardcore Diablo player, chances are pretty good you came across Pete in some way.

Pete didn't always rub everyone the right way. He had a policy of calling people out that he didn't agree with, and never hesitated to let people know where he stood. But even those who disliked him could agree that his arguments were well made and solid. And he stuck to his guns, no matter what the case.

The old joke was "what will Bolty be when he grows up?"

"Pete."

I can only hope to fill those big shoes. I'll miss you, Pete.

Pete is survived by his wife, -Magi, who many of you know here on the Lounge forums and in games. Please extend her your condolences and best wishes.

I encourage each of you to share your thoughts and experiences of Pete here in the comments/thread.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
This is terrible news. I'll miss Pete greatly. My deepest condolences to his family.
The news comes as a shock to Tori & I, we hope he passed with peace.

This is a loss of enormity I don't think I fully appreciate right now. Magi, your husband was truly an exemplar of a man and we cherished his presence here, even when involved in an argument with him. He was kind of the guardian at the gates, you weren't a Lurker until you'd been entangled in a discussion with him.

We miss him immediately, and know we will moving forward.

Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Pete has been often on my mind these past few weeks, as his voice was missing from the forums. I terribly feared his absence did not bode well, and now sadly this is confirmed.

I admired Pete's intellect and regret never having played a game with him. My condolences to his loved ones.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
My thoughts go out to Pete's loved ones. He will be missed on the Lounge and elsewhere. Magi, my deepest condolences.
See you in Town,
-Z
Pete and I clashed several times here on the lounge, but it was born out of love for this community. He, a member for a long time, and me... one of the new guys. This place wont be the same without Pete, and by this place, I do in fact mean the world we all live in.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
It is not an exaggeration to say Pete taught me more about how to think than anyone who isn't immediate family. The things I've learned from countless discussions here, arguing against him, arguing with him, or just reading his rapier prose, are now utterly fundamental to how I express myself. He literally changed the way I think, the way I approach any and every topic, with his lucidity, his brilliance, his implacability, and his humbling awareness of just how little we all know. A hero to me.

I've now been to some pretty lofty academic places, and yet, my (piss poor) imitation of Pete's extraordinary clarity and style is still the best way I know to be a thinker.

I'm tearing up now, so maybe I'll just say that I'll miss him, and leave it at that. Magi, my condolences - no doubt, we can't miss him a hundredth as much as you can.

-Jester
Wow! I had never met him and yet I feel like I've just learned a dear friend has left us. I missed Sabra's call earlier and had been tapping the keyboard to keep logged on to WoW. I came back to the game and scrolled through back chat to discover the horrible news.

We've all lost a great asset to both Lounge and life. It felt like you truly knew him because he never left anything back, he put his view out there for everyone to see. I always wished I had better applied myself in life and learned and lived even half as much as he had. I wish he had been around long enough to at least see the new Diablo, I'm sure it would have brought him joy.

Magi, I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain. Know that you are in my thoughts and that I am shedding tears too so maybe you don't have to shed quite so many. Heart
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Truly one of the saddest things I've had to read in awhile. I'm actually tearing up as I write this. Wow... the second I read Bolty's post, I felt a great loss in my heart, like a big part of these forums just died. The last couple of weeks, part of me had wondered if Pete was alright, because it's really unlike him to not jump into some of those last threads we've been debating about. He will no doubt be missed on these boards, and on a personal note... I will miss him. Good luck to you Pete wherever you are!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
A great man, a good friend, and someone to be admired for his wit and intelligence. Tis a sad day indeed.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Pete has been a good friend to me for a long time now.

We agreed often, disagreed often and either way, I learned from him as we discussed the issues here.

He gave me good advice when I asked for guidance through some personal muddled thinking.

Magi, you have my best wishes.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Magi, Ruvanal and I have spent just about every Sunday morning together for the last 3 years. We've had a lot of fun, and we've heard a lot about Pete as he moved through the last few years of his life. Some of it heartening; some of it heart-rending.

I feel so fortunate to have found Magi, because she's honest, warm and funny, and she "led" me to The Real Pete; the Pete you could talk to, the Pete who gave the best advice, the Pete who would reach down and help pull you up. That Pete. That wonderful Pete.

The thing about Pete was I just couldn't fool him. Pete saw far past my grammar and syntax straight to my intent. Pete knew with uncanny insight what I was feeling way deep down. That's what made him such a formidable adversary, fierce ally and what ultimately brought me to the realization that it would be truly something to be his friend.

Magi gave me that chance. Magi loves Pete, and Pete loved that Lurkers on SR love Magi. I think the most fitting tribute we can make is to keep doing that for as long as she'll let us.

Pete, I cried when Magi called and told me you were gone, but I know you made the right call to lay it down. You'd been fighting for years, and now I envision you at Heroes End.

Ecco Homo. And a big B'ah Humbug from the bottom of my heart.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
I'm always at a loss for words when dealing with emotional stuff so this is going to be fairly terse. Magi, all my best to you and yours. Whether I agreed with Pete or disagreed with him, I always admired his candor. Things just won't be the same without him. Pete, you will be missed.
Intolerant monkey.
A friend in pain is a terrible thing and here there are many.

Thinking of you all.
[Image: 259402pnMDg.png]
May his Deeds be Remembered!
I can't really add further insight into Pete than what has already been shared. I've always respected Pete for his intelligence, his integrity and honor, his common sense and humor. I'm honored to have been able to call Pete a friend.

I've treasured every bit of advice that Pete's given me, even the times, especially the times where I was in the wrong. I've saved every message and email I've gotten from Pete. And I refer to them when I feel that I'm struggling in the day to day running of things on Stormrage Lurkers.

Magi - my deepest and most sincere condolences to you in this time. If I can be of any service to you - please do not hesitate to ask. We're here for you.

Pete will be sorely missed for he was a Legendary Lurker.

-Tal
Pete and I never really saw eye to eye, it may not be a stretch to say that we didn't even like each other. That being said, the more I read his posts here on LL, the more I found myself with a large amount of respect for the man. The community here and the world has lost a titan. My heart goes out to Magi in her time of grief.

Sleep well, sir.

-Z
Proud Co-Founder of the Widely Accepted and Raider™ Approved "FIPIA Strategy"

Zyn's You Tube Channel
I saw this thread last night, about 5 minutes after it was posted, and did not know what to say. I still don't. Maybe that says all I need to, my posts are often referred to as walls of text and the passing of this great man has left me speechless.

It made my day, no my year, when he sent me a PM once saying I was part of the reason he still came to the lounge, he was interested in what I had to say. I admired the man, I hoped I could be half as insightful as he was.

More than that though, he was caring and compassionate. When he reached out to me during my illness I was a bit surprised. I shouldn't have been surprised by it, but I was since we hadn't interacted as much, I didn't feel I had the same relationship with him as I did with other lurkers. I was glad he did though and enjoyed the private conversations that led to. Those memories will stick with me a long time.

You'll be missed Pete.

My thoughts are with you Magi.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I came around too late to play with Pete, but the few times we talked in game he was approachable and gave honest advice. His responses on the forums usually left me rethinking my position, in agreement or disagreement, based on his input.
I barely knew him, my WoW account has been inactive for months, I hardly talk on the forums, yet I still feel like I lost a friend.

Peace be with Pete, and my sincerest condolences to those who got to know and love him over the years.

D3 - look for Zich (all classes, all named Zich...)

WoW - look for Zich/Maclnnes/Dreadblood
^Inactive and waiting for MoP right now.

Magi, may deepest condolences. Pete was a trusted foil for me, and always kept me honest to my own feelings. I've missed his presence on the board for the past few months, and I feared he was slipping away from us. It is rare to share so much with someone you've never met, but Pete shared himself with me, and for that I've grown to love him. Even though we didn't see eye to eye on every issue, I've always respected his honesty, sage advice, and passion for Lurkers. I will miss him greatly.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]