Electric cars
Saw a short article on various electric car options on the market. Will have to say this, for those of us living in "the middle of nowhere" ™, they seem completely impractical.

Drive 75 miles and charge for 8 hours... To make some court apperances, I'd have to spend a whole day just charging the vehicle to go *one way*. Actually, that's incorrect, it might take 32 hours depending on route.

They may work okay for city dwellers, but not for thsoe of us in rural areas.
(12-19-2011, 11:13 PM)Tris Wrote: Saw a short article on various electric car options on the market. Will have to say this, for those of us living in "the middle of nowhere" ™, they seem completely impractical.

Drive 75 miles and charge for 8 hours... To make some court apperances, I'd have to spend a whole day just charging the vehicle to go *one way*. Actually, that's incorrect, it might take 32 hours depending on route.

They may work okay for city dwellers, but not for thsoe of us in rural areas.

They're aimed at city dwellers. Hybrids (of various flavors) are the vehicles of choice for you.

Personally, I drive 2 miles to work each way, and some days I go shopping on my way home (for an additional 5-10 miles). My car was brand new at the end of 2007 (last week of December), and I have a little over 18k miles on it. An electric car would be perfect for me, if not for other practical considerations.
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
(12-19-2011, 11:36 PM)Klaus Wrote: They're aimed at city dwellers. Hybrids (of various flavors) are the vehicles of choice for you.

Personally, I drive 2 miles to work each way, and some days I go shopping on my way home (for an additional 5-10 miles). My car was brand new at the end of 2007 (last week of December), and I have a little over 18k miles on it. An electric car would be perfect for me, if not for other practical considerations.

I'm mostly in the same boat. I put like 75-150 miles a month on with the exception of the 5 or 50-150 mile round trips a year and the 3 to 6 trips a year that are 400 - 850 miles one way (so 800 - 1700 mile round trip). Yes some of those trips I might be able to fly, or I could rent something else. My old 02 Taurus SES should get me another year or two before I'm really looking but the hybrids that say they get the 40-50 miles before the gas engine kicks in (and then they can go a couple hundred on that) seem to be the option that would best suite me and I'm hoping something is in the pipeline that might be a bit better than what is out there now.

Another option is two cars, of course but well I don't have the personal wealth for that yet. Smile
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
An Electric Car would even be pretty good for me. My commute one way is about 15 miles, and then I work all day, and leave to drive home another 15 miles. If I need to stop and shop on the way home, it's another 2-3 miles out of the way, and then there is lunch time where I drive 1 mile to the post office, and maybe up to 3 miles round trip to get lunch, so.... 37 ish miles in a day round trip, but never all at once on a standard work day.

I would love to have an electric car.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(12-21-2011, 04:59 PM)shoju Wrote: I would love to have an electric car.

It's raining today and I'm about to leave for work. Sometimes I wish I had any sort of vehicle at all.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
While I am sympathetic to your plight, the first thought I had was: "That's because you never had to ride in my Yugo"
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(12-21-2011, 05:34 PM)shoju Wrote: While I am sympathetic to your plight, the first thought I had was: "That's because you never had to ride in my Yugo"

At least I have shoes.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(12-21-2011, 05:34 PM)shoju Wrote: While I am sympathetic to your plight, the first thought I had was: "That's because you never had to ride in my Yugo"

It represents the pinnacle of Yugoslavian automotive engineering.

I now have to watch Dragnet again to check if that was even remotely accurate.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I have had 2 experiences with Yugo cars.

#1.) My parents purchased a brand new Honda Civic (or accord) in 1988. When they did, they received a brand new 1987 Yugo GV, for FREE. The dealership had ordered a ton of Yugo the year before, and was unable to move them all.

#2.) I purchased a 1986 Yugo GV when I was in my early 20's. When the car ran, it was a marvel. 8 gallon tank, 40+ MPG..... when it ran. When it didn't run, I was purchasing junk Yugos for 100 bucks, and scrounging parts from them. My 1986 Yugo actually later became a 1987 Yugo GV Convertible after purchasing one, and finding the body to be in better condition than my own. Over the course of 16 months, I probably purchased 7 Yugo's, all 'for parts' to keep a single car running. Over those 16 months, I'm fairly confident as much time under the hood as I did behind the wheel.
(12-22-2011, 08:58 PM)shoju Wrote: I have had 2 experiences with Yugo cars.

It's easy to sum up.

Yugo because the car don't!
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(12-22-2011, 08:58 PM)shoju Wrote: Yugo GV

Yugo's came in more than one model? How fancy!

Quote:...I was purchasing junk Yugos for 100 bucks

Isn't "junk Yugo" redundant?
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
This brings this thread full circle
The story
part II
Part III