Farming Embercloth
I must be missing something. (Nothing new.) My characters have all professions covered and can farm all the raw trade goods that they need (when they're not being lazy) except for Embercloth. For me the drop rate of Embercloth is pathetic. I've been farming Waste Wanderers. Tonight after a farming session I had about ten stacks of Savage Leather (from scorpids) and exactly thirteen Embercloth. I know that I would have had a higher drop rate with my tailor, but then I would have had zero leather.

Where do people go for farming Embercloth? Besides the Auction House.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(12-26-2011, 08:01 AM)LavCat Wrote: I must be missing something. (Nothing new.) My characters have all professions covered and can farm all the raw trade goods that they need (when they're not being lazy) except for Embercloth. For me the drop rate of Embercloth is pathetic. I've been farming Waste Wanderers. Tonight after a farming session I had about ten stacks of Savage Leather (from scorpids) and exactly thirteen Embercloth. I know that I would have had a higher drop rate with my tailor, but then I would have had zero leather.

Where do people go for farming Embercloth? Besides the Auction House.

First, I'm assuming you mean embersilk.

Maybe not the exact mobs, but the troggs in this general area are gathered in bunches. Any way to AOE them down fast gets you several stacks an hour. It won't yield leather, that I know of. Also, if you suck down a Potion of Treasure Finding you can get extra as well as yoink some Tiny Treasure Chests which can contain cloth and other goodies plus gold.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(12-26-2011, 08:01 AM)LavCat Wrote: Where do people go for farming Embercloth? Besides the Auction House.

I do Tol Barad dailies. Almost everything drops cloth, and the dailies mean you get paid to farm. I usually get 50-100 cloth per run. If you need more, there are plenty of targets in areas like the keep, the shipyard, the village, etc.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
(12-26-2011, 12:23 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: First, I'm assuming you mean embersilk.

Err, yes... I don't see enough to note the name.

I'd forgotten about the potion. Might even have some in the bank. Plus I have probably hundreds of stacks of Whiptail that I'd like to find a use for.

I need leather at the moment, so I will probably continue to farm where I have been, but if I find a potion handy I will chug it. I wonder, since I have a tailor and a skinner on different accounts, if I could farm with both of them in a group for extra cloth? But it might not be worth the down time of switching back and forth to loot.

On the positive side, while I did not find much cloth last night, I did get a Formula: Enchant Bracer - Major Strength, which should be worth something.
(12-26-2011, 07:29 PM)LavCat Wrote:

I'd forgotten about the potion. Might even have some in the bank. Plus I have probably hundreds of stacks of Whiptail that I'd like to find a use for.

I need leather at the moment, so I will probably continue to farm where I have been, but if I find a potion handy I will chug it. I wonder, since I have a tailor and a skinner on different accounts, if I could farm with both of them in a group for extra cloth? But it might not be worth the down time of switching back and forth to loot.

On the positive side, while I did not find much cloth last night, I did get a Formula: Enchant Bracer - Major Strength, which should be worth something.

I would go with Bun's suggestion. It is likely that one or both Horde and Alliance will have a spider daily and even just cleaning up after the Horde can yield tons of leather. My leatherworker is still lvl 80, so he wasn't out farming his own, but was fed tons of leather that way by my tailor/skinner fire mage.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(12-27-2011, 02:06 AM)LochnarITB Wrote:

I would go with Bun's suggestion. It is likely that one or both Horde and Alliance will have a spider daily and even just cleaning up after the Horde can yield tons of leather. My leatherworker is still lvl 80, so he wasn't out farming his own, but was fed tons of leather that way by my tailor/skinner fire mage.

The hunter I'm doing this with is 84, and I don't think can get to Tol Barad. I tried the troggs that you suggested and you were correct, no leather. But probably more cloth than from the Wastewander Outriders. Anyhow we convinced our alchemist to come up with two potions of treasure finding. About to see how well they work for this application.
In an hour of farming Wastewander Outriders and scorpids under the effect of a potion, I looted:

7 Tiny Treasure Chests
2 Strange Bloated Stomachs
87 Savage Leather
2 greens
14 Embersilk Cloth

The 7 Tiny Treasure Chests had a total of 38 Embersilk Cloth. I'm thinking the best place to find cloth might be the Auction House.
Tol Barad has an area where there are essentially infinite respawns of humanoids that drop cloth. It's the battlefield full of Alliance and Horde soldier ghosts that constantly battle one another (and anyone who gets close). Bonus points as they actually hurt each other (down to 25% health or so). If you're alone and you don't go full throttle, you can basically keep killing indefinitely. It's possible to clear out the place, but they respawn pretty fast (a couple of minutes or so? If that).

Over a few hours (4-5 at most), I gathered 20+ full stacks of embersilk bolts (yes: bolts; he was a tailor).
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(12-27-2011, 02:25 AM)LavCat Wrote:
(12-27-2011, 02:06 AM)LochnarITB Wrote:

The hunter I'm doing this with is 84, and I don't think can get to Tol Barad. I tried the troggs that you suggested and you were correct, no leather. But probably more cloth than from the Wastewander Outriders. Anyhow we convinced our alchemist to come up with two potions of treasure finding. About to see how well they work for this application.

From experience, I'd say that attempting to farm leather before level 85 is not really worth the effort. Granted, you can hit max LW skill with what you farm up, but for anything worthwhile it's perhaps best wait until you can farm Tol Barad and the like.

If you are going through TB, don't forget to murder each and every fox out there for your very own Fox Kit (Some assembly required).

That said, I found my best source of leather was Firelands dailies. Yes. Those things. This is especially true if you side with the Shadow Wardens for your questing on days when you're not trying to chase achievements. I used to make enough Savage Leather to trade up for about two or three Primal Hides per daily questing day.
(12-28-2011, 11:02 PM)NiteFox Wrote: From experience, I'd say that attempting to farm leather before level 85 is not really worth the effort. Granted, you can hit max LW skill with what you farm up, but for anything worthwhile it's perhaps best wait until you can farm Tol Barad and the like.

If you are going through TB, don't forget to murder each and every fox out there for your very own Fox Kit (Some assembly required).

That said, I found my best source of leather was Firelands dailies. Yes. Those things. This is especially true if you side with the Shadow Wardens for your questing on days when you're not trying to chase achievements. I used to make enough Savage Leather to trade up for about two or three Primal Hides per daily questing day.

Problem is, once my skinners get to max character level, I can't get them to go out skinning any more. My NE hunter has been 85 for a very long time, which is why I started a human hunter, the one who now is a hair under 85. Fortunately I have a Worgen hunter coming up.

But the cloth is a different story. In an hour we got 14 pieces. The AH had Embersilk for 2g 55s each. Farming Embersilk does not seem like a good use of time.
(12-28-2011, 11:02 PM)NiteFox Wrote: If you are going through TB, don't forget to murder each and every fox out there for your very own Fox Kit (Some assembly required).

I lost track of how many hundreds of foxes I killed and never did get the kit. Sad
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(12-27-2011, 04:01 AM)LavCat Wrote: In an hour of farming Wastewander Outriders and scorpids under the effect of a potion, I looted:

7 Tiny Treasure Chests
2 Strange Bloated Stomachs
87 Savage Leather
2 greens
14 Embersilk Cloth

The 7 Tiny Treasure Chests had a total of 38 Embersilk Cloth. I'm thinking the best place to find cloth might be the Auction House.

I get absolutely tons of cloth running HoT heroics on my tailor. I usually get 2 stacks per run, 30-40 minutes per.
--Mav
It might not be as effective as it once was now that people are geared up but grim batol was great for cloth and leather (including scales). Just be really careful not to kill the trash on the bombing run. Mount the drake last and look for trash that didn't get bombed much and weaken that while avoiding any you might kill.
Yesterday I got the achievement A Class Act. Today I got the achievement Working as a Team. As you may guess, the final profession was First Aid.