Burning Down The House
In case anyone was intersted, there is a major fire out behind my house tearing up most of Montecito and Santa Barbara. I watched the flames lick the edge of the mountain ridge last night from myh house. I've already packed clothes for my kids, wife, and myself and backed up my harddrive onto a portable with family pics and the works. Winds down here are strong, gusty, and hot. The Santa Barbara fire cap. said on the news that he sees no possibility of containment anytime today. We will see what happens. This is local news, you might get better news from a major media outlet:

Quote:Montecito Fire Latest

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 06:34 PM PST

Updated: Nov 14, 2008 11:30 AM PST

MONTECITO - There is a fire burning in the hills above Montecito. The fire is burning north of Mountain View and Cold Springs Road.

the Water Resources Division of the City of Santa Barbara is requesting that all businesses and residents in Santa Barbara, Goleta, and Montecito refrain from using non-essential water to allow maximum supplies available for fire fighting.

Fire Status

2,000 - 2,500 acres burned
Approximately 100 homes damaged or destroyed
5,446 homes evacuated
More than 500 firefighters
10 injuries from smoke inhalation
3 burn injuries
Shelter Location

San Marcos High School
Corner of Turnpike & Hollister
123 people at shelter
Important Phone Numbers

County Tea Fire Call Center - 805/681-5197
Animal Hotline - 805/681-4332
Small animals can be taken to the Humane Society on Patterson Avenue
Large animals can be taken to Earl Warren Show grounds off of Las Positas.
Road Closure Information

Road Closure Hotline - 805/568-3006
www.countyofsb.org/pwd/roads/closure.htm
The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department has closed the Franklin Clinic until further notice.

Patients needing to be seen can call the Santa Barbara Clinic at 805/681-5488 or the Carpinteria Clinic at 805/560-1050.

Schools Closed

Marymount of Santa Barbara
Cleveland Elementary School
Cold Springs Elementary School
Laguna Blanca Lower Campus
Notre Dame School
All Saints By The Sea Parish
El Montecito School
Star King Parent Child Workshop, Continuing Education
Providence Hall High School
Anacapa School
Montecito Union School District
The Montecito Family YMCA Preschool and Afterschool
Bishop García Diego High School
San Roque Middle School & High School
Crane Country Day School
Caesar Chavez School
Franklin School
Roosevelt School
School Events Affected

Santa Barbara High School varsity football game against Ventura High School has been moved to Buena High School in Ventura. The game will start at 6 pm.
Santa Barbara High School's performance The Village Fable has been canceled for this evening.
Boys and girls club in Santa Barbara on Canon Perdido is open today for child care assistance .

Mandatory evacuation orders are issued for:

North of 192 between Hot Springs and Mission Canyon
All of Sycamore Canyon
North of 192 between Sycamore Canyon and Gibralter Rd.
Hot Springs (eastern boundary) to Tunnel Rd. (western boundary) from Hwy 192 @ Hot Springs to Barker Pass to Alameda Padre Sierra (southern boundary) to Camino Cielo (northern boundary)
Both sides of Tunnel Rd. above Montrose
Only residents on the east side of Tunnel Rd. below Montrose
Residents on Gibralter Rd. above the west fork of the Cold Springs Trail should evacuate to the North via Camino Cielo. Residents below the west fork should evacuate to the South
Evacuation warnings issued for:

North of 192 from Hot Springs Rd. east to San Ysidro Rd.
Mission Canyon north of Foothill Rd. to Tunnel Rd. westbound on Foothill to Ontare Rd., Ontare Rd. north of Foothill Rd.
Boardered on the north by Alameda Padre Sierra, on the east by Montecito St. to Milpas, Milpas to Anapamu, Anapamu to Laguna, and Laguna to Los Olivos, and Los Olivos to Alameda Padre Sierra
Direct Relief International (DRI), in cooperation with the Santa Barbara County Health Department and the City of Santa Barbara will be distributing free NIOSH N-95 face masks to residents between 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. on Friday, November 14, 2008 at the following location:

MacKenzie Park - in the parking lot off Los Positas Road
DRI has a very limited supply of masks so please request only what you absolutely need if you cannot avoid outdoor exposure to the smoke generated by the Tea Fire. "These masks are being made available to the public for free," said Dr. Elliot Schulman, Director of the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department.

Schulman said it is critical that the masks be fitted properly on the face, so instruction for proper fitting will be included at the distribution sites listed in the press release.

"It's better to avoid exposure, particularly for those with known lung or breathing problems," said Schulman. "But if you have to be outdoors, especially if you're doing vigorous activity, it is wise to wear a mask to reduce exposure to inhaled wild land fire smoke."

It is the tiny, invisible particles that get into the lungs and can cause problems, he said.

The SB Sheriff's Department is telling all off-duty sworn personnel with the sheriff's department to report to the main station in Goleta in Uniform.

Students from Westmont College have been evacuated to the gym. Officials at the school say students at the gym are safe. Some buildings on campus have been destroyed. Despite this officials say conditions on campus are improving. Parents and students can call the hotline at 1-888-565-7911 for updates.

This morning, 2000 customers are without power.

KCOY CBS-12 Chief Meteorologist Jim Byrne says that winds in the area of the fire have been gusting between 50 and 70 miles per hour. Strong northeast winds are expected to continue through tonight. This has the potential to fan the flames. There is a high wind warning for that specific area through 6am Friday.

The hot dry weather we have been experiencing will continue through at least Saturday.

The fire is being called the Tea fire.

Residents in the area can call the Red Cross Information Line at 2-1-1.

For more information keep your eye on this website.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:In case anyone was intersted, there is a major fire out behind my house tearing up most of Montecito and Santa Barbara. I watched the flames lick the edge of the mountain ridge last night from myh house. I've already packed clothes for my kids, wife, and myself and backed up my harddrive onto a portable with family pics and the works. Winds down here are strong, gusty, and hot. The Santa Barbara fire cap. said on the news that he sees no possibility of containment anytime today. We will see what happens. This is local news, you might get better news from a major media outlet:

You stay out of the fire, we don't need any well done MEAT any time soon. Glad to see you have prepped for the worst, the winds often blow ill.

Thinking beautiful thoughts for you down here.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Praying that our incessant rain finds you and quells the flames, MEAT (without triggering anything worse).

We'll be thinking of you,
~F & T:wub:
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Hi,

Quote:. . . there is a major fire out behind my house . . .
Hope the winds keep it away from you and that it burns out without damage. Best of luck and my good thoughts.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Not a good year for sunny Santa Barbara, fire-wise. Fourth of July weekend was the Gap Fire, 9500 acres. It burned very close to Goleta, a bedroom community just up the coast from SB.

Prayers for ya, MEAT.
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long
Quote:Not a good year for sunny Santa Barbara, fire-wise. Fourth of July weekend was the Gap Fire, 9500 acres. It burned very close to Goleta, a bedroom community just up the coast from SB.

Prayers for ya, MEAT.

I haven't heard anything about containment today, but I saw about 15 fire trucks leave the area, presumably towards the L.A. fire. There is a map on google I've been eying which shows the fire areas and the fire hasn't changed since yesterday so, while it may not be "contained" - as in they aren't 100% sure if some areas are fully under control - I don't think it's spreading either. I feel bad for all those people who lost their homes. One of my sons friends has been hanging out with us the past two days because his father was evacuated and he didn't have any place to go. Not quite sure how things are going ATM. The only downfall to using the internet only for your news source (got rid of cable over a year ago) is that it's never up to date or live. They always focus on the "live" aspect of broadcasting first.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin