BrowserQuest!
Check this out!

Paul Rouget Wrote:BrowserQuest is a tribute to classic video-games with a multiplayer twist. You play as a young warrior driven by the thrill of adventure. No princess to save here, just a dangerous world filled with treasures to discover. And it’s all done in glorious HTML5 and JavaScript.

BrowserQuest can be played by thousands of simultaneous players, distributed across different instances of the in-game world. Click on the population counter at any time to know exactly how many total players are currently online.

Players can see and interact with each other by using an in-game chat system. They can also team up and fight enemies together.

BrowserQuest is a game of exploration: the more dangerous the places you go, the better the rewards.

Since BrowserQuest is written in HTML5/JavaScript, it is available across a lot of different browsers and platforms. The game can be played in Firefox, Chrome and Safari. With WebSockets enabled, it’s also playable in Opera. Moreover, it’s compatible with iOS devices, as well as tablets and phones running Firefox for Android.

I'm going to try this out when I get a chance. Sounds wild that it can even run well on a mobile browser. The whole thing is open source, and the source code is available. See how it runs for you here.

[video=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?&v=kYcNJQ3Y6Sg[/video]
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Weird, I actually just played this today. It's pretty fun for about 20 minutes. There really isn't much to do after you "beat" it. It's more of a tech demo than a real game, and it does that very well. I'd love to see it expanded and fully fleshed out.

There are a few easter eggs in it that give nods to other popular games and internet phenomena, which are sort of fun to discover.

It's a multiplayer game, but I could not manage to play with my son on the same server. As far as I could tell, there was no way to choose which server you are dumped into. We tried for about 30 minutes to get on the same server with no success.
So far it hasn't worked for me. I can't get past "Connecting to Server."
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(03-29-2012, 03:06 AM)Bolty Wrote: So far it hasn't worked for me. I can't get past "Connecting to Server."

When I was playing it earlier today, there was a giant red notice saying that their servers were overwhelmed and they need more. I got kicked out a few times.
Doesn't work so well on Droid 2 Global with Firefox, works great in Chrome. Fast to complete game, but in our opinion, a very nice proof-of-concept, already discussing what we can do with the backend of it to further our competitive technology usage.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.