Devil in the Details - Episode 3
Welcome back to another wild and wonderful episode of Devil in the Details! Join us as we continue to delve too deep, too greedily, I insult a tower, and we ponder how uniquely rarified our magically crafted items are.

Mp3 Direct download can be found Here!
Haven't actually watched the episode yet, but I just opened the youtube link to do so and it loaded a D3 advert. What a great start to the ep! Twas perfect.
Warning: I had a bit too much scotch before the episode. My rambling increased ten fold
After having listened to this episode I'm wondering what the mission statement of the podcast is. In the first post you said

Chesspiece_face Wrote:A gathering of fellow Lurkers (Frag, RTM, Monty, Treesh) and I got together to celebrate the beta weekend and put together the first of, what may become many video game related podcasts.

Tentatively named "The Devil in the Details" we brave the hell of illness and minor technical issues to pontificate on all things Diablo.

Which on the one hand says "video game related podcasts" and on the other says "all things Diablo". This episode makes me wonder which of those two directions is going to be more prevalent. I watched expecting a D3 podcast and by the end felt like I was watching a podcast about more general gaming with fanboy talk about other games.

At the start the other game talk was tied into the D3 talk to kind of explore how things could be done, but by the end it really felt like talking about other games just to talk about them. Which is fine. If that is the kind of podcast you want to do then more power to you. I just feel like I need to have the proper expectations and right now I don't. I feel like I tuned in for D3 talk and got something else. I realize that some of that is simply due to D3 not being out yet so there is a limited amount to talk about. I just also feel like some of it is intentional too. So would like a more full mission statement about the podcast so I can know what to expect more in the future.

Basically I'm asking, is the goal to be a D3 podcast or is the goal to be a podcast about games in D3's genre/style? My preference would be for a more pure D3 podcast, but I'd likely tune in for the other as well. I really don't mean to be harsh or hard on the show, I'm just really curious what my expectations should be since I'm feeling that isn't clear at the moment. As I said, I'll likely keep listening no matter which way the answer goes.
15 minutes in, off to bed now. What happened to the sound quality? Treesh's mic is spazzing out regularly and Willie barely audible compared to MonTy Sad.

While I found the part I listened to interesting enough, those issues kept turning my annoyance dial up and sleep seems more appropriate now than finishing the podcast. That rarely happens.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(05-08-2012, 12:07 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: 15 minutes in, off to bed now. What happened to the sound quality? Treesh's mic is spazzing out regularly and Willie barely audible compared to MonTy Sad.

While I found the part I listened to interesting enough, those issues kept turning my annoyance dial up and sleep seems more appropriate now than finishing the podcast. That rarely happens.

take care
Tarabulus

We've been trying different things to get my sound to stop completely sucking. It's a tossup at this point if it's my mic causing the issues or the soundcard and I can't afford to buy both. If I can't get it sorted out before this weekend, I'll just bow out of the recording. It's annoying me as much as, if not more than, it's annoying the listeners.
Intolerant monkey.
(05-08-2012, 12:07 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: 15 minutes in, off to bed now. What happened to the sound quality? Treesh's mic is spazzing out regularly and Willie barely audible compared to MonTy Sad.

Is anyone else finding my audio to be extremely low in this weeks episode? The balance between RTM, Monty, and myself seems relatively close on my system so it would be interesting for me to hear if different systems are having more trouble hearing certain aspects of the recording.

We've been working on getting Treesh's audio issues resolved and made a lot of changes to the way things were recorded this week to try to lock down what the culprit was.
(05-07-2012, 09:07 PM)swirly Wrote: Basically I'm asking, is the goal to be a D3 podcast or is the goal to be a podcast about games in D3's genre/style? My preference would be for a more pure D3 podcast, but I'd likely tune in for the other as well. I really don't mean to be harsh or hard on the show, I'm just really curious what my expectations should be since I'm feeling that isn't clear at the moment. As I said, I'll likely keep listening no matter which way the answer goes.

The impetus for starting the Podcast is definitely the release of D3, and being that all of us are getting together to do this specifically for that game there will be a strong focus on Diablo or other similar games. Having said that, there is no hard line about what the Podcast is about other than 'Games' in general and wherever the discussion takes us.

One of the main reasons for starting the Podcast early is for us to get a feel for recording and ironing out all the kinks before the release of D3 at which point we will most likely continue the Podcast but also be releasing a Let's Play series. It has been my goal with the Podcast to expand the available topics before the release of D3 so that the conversation and content of the Let's Play series has the freedom to find it's own niche within the game while maintaining the Podcast as either supplementory Diablo content or it's own thing entirely.

Because Diablo is a more static game then say, an MMO or a MOBA, it's much easier to chew through discussion topics when you are not getting content updates on weekly or bi-weekly timeframes. The last thing we want is for the content we are planning to cannibalize each other and the best way, I think, to do this is to allow the Podcast the freedom to wander wherever it ends up going while letting the Let's Play be the main D3 content. As I said though, we are all huge Diablo fans so it is inevitable that the talk in the Podcast will center around that series in a major way.
(05-08-2012, 01:27 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Is anyone else finding my audio to be extremely low in this weeks episode? The balance between RTM, Monty, and myself seems relatively close on my system so it would be interesting for me to hear if different systems are having more trouble hearing certain aspects of the recording.

I generally found Treesh high and everyone else low. Which makes me suspect that everyone else was fine and just seemed low in comparison to the high of Treesh. I can't recall noting any difference in volume between RTM, Monty, and Chess.
Episode 3:
MonTy with good audio quality and at the middle regarding volume. Willie barely audible and Treesh's audio all over the place.

take care
Tarabulus

(05-08-2012, 01:01 AM)Treesh Wrote:

take care
Tarabulus

We've been trying different things to get my sound to stop completely sucking. It's a tossup at this point if it's my mic causing the issues or the soundcard and I can't afford to buy both. If I can't get it sorted out before this weekend, I'll just bow out of the recording. It's annoying me as much as, if not more than, it's annoying the listeners.

To clarify:
I didn't meant for my comments to cause you any grief, I'm only complaining about your sound quality because I want to actually hear what you have to say! If I had to choose I'd much rather have you on the show with crappy sound than gone. That goes for all the participants, I quite enjoy the mix of personalities you got going (well, what little I imagine I can glean from three moderate length videos Tongue).

I was just tired and getting cranky, as is appropriate for my age. There were possibly kids on my lawn as well at the time.

Fwiw, I was quite happy with sound quality on episode 2.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(05-08-2012, 12:22 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 01:01 AM)Treesh Wrote:

take care
Tarabulus

To clarify:
I didn't meant for my comments to cause you any grief, I'm only complaining about your sound quality because I want to actually hear what you have to say! If I had to choose I'd much rather have you on the show with crappy sound than gone. That goes for all the participants, I quite enjoy the mix of personalities you got going (well, what little I imagine I can glean from three moderate length videos Tongue).

I was just tired and getting cranky, as is appropriate for my age. There were possibly kids on my lawn as well at the time.

Fwiw, I was quite happy with sound quality on episode 2.

take care
Tarabulus

You haven't caused me grief. I haven't taken any offense to the constructive criticism given here. I probably complain about my sound more than you have. =) And I should have clarified that I meant for just this weekend, not forever. It wasn't a ragequit kind of deal. I just don't like causing trouble for other folks and that's what my sound has been the whole time. It's very frustrating for me to not be able to fix it so far. I can't imagine how much extra work Chesspiece has gone into just to get me heard. But, I still have some options to get my damned machine to behave properly so I'm hoping it'll all come together on Saturday this time. Of course, I thought I had some of the issues worked out earlier, but no. I still remain hopeful. Or else just too mule-headedly stubborn to quit altogether. Wink
Intolerant monkey.
Little update, after new sound card and mic, preliminary testing sounds much better than previously. Now I just have to train myself to speak without big changes in my volume so there are high hopes for better sound quality for the next episode. Yay! *happy dance*
Intolerant monkey.
(05-10-2012, 09:14 PM)Treesh Wrote: Little update, after new sound card and mic, preliminary testing sounds much better than previously. Now I just have to train myself to speak without big changes in my volume so there are high hopes for better sound quality for the next episode. Yay! *happy dance*

More Treesh triggers an odd question for me. What is the podcast's policy on cursing? I guess my expectation would be for it to be rare in the podcast (since it is more slow conversational) and more likely in the Let's Play series since I just know Treesh wouldn't be able to stop it while playing. To be honest, I don't really care. I just like making fun of Treesh's sailor speak.
(05-10-2012, 09:36 PM)swirly Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 09:14 PM)Treesh Wrote: Little update, after new sound card and mic, preliminary testing sounds much better than previously. Now I just have to train myself to speak without big changes in my volume so there are high hopes for better sound quality for the next episode. Yay! *happy dance*

More Treesh triggers an odd question for me. What is the podcast's policy on cursing? I guess my expectation would be for it to be rare in the podcast (since it is more slow conversational) and more likely in the Let's Play series since I just know Treesh wouldn't be able to stop it while playing. To be honest, I don't really care. I just like making fun of Treesh's sailor speak.

That was actually one of the first things I asked when we were discussing editing. Chess said he could do a fair bit and I asked him how his bleeping skills were. Frag and RTM just chuckled. The answer was since the game is rated mature, then people will just have to deal with hearing bad words. =) And yeah, I haven't felt the need to curse during the podcasts since it is just conversation, but we were testing/waiting for everyone to get online at one point while the beta was still going on I was leveling up the barb to 13 and his damned lack of fury in a couple of cases certainly increased my fury so I'm sure there will be some slipped in here and there while playing, regardless of if I'm aware of it or not. So, you all have now been warned. =)
Intolerant monkey.
(05-10-2012, 09:43 PM)Treesh Wrote: That was actually one of the first things I asked when we were discussing editing. Chess said he could do a fair bit and I asked him how his bleeping skills were. Frag and RTM just chuckled. The answer was since the game is rated mature, then people will just have to deal with hearing bad words. =) And yeah, I haven't felt the need to curse during the podcasts since it is just conversation, but we were testing/waiting for everyone to get online at one point while the beta was still going on I was leveling up the barb to 13 and his damned lack of fury in a couple of cases certainly increased my fury so I'm sure there will be some slipped in here and there while playing, regardless of if I'm aware of it or not. So, you all have now been warned. =)

I actually looked into this a bit, and even though the game is rated "M" part of Blizzard's Liscensing policy is that you maintain a "T" rating when creating productions from their games.

I personally will read that as allowing some cursing, but not to go overboard. >>
(05-11-2012, 07:27 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: I actually looked into this a bit, and even though the game is rated "M" part of Blizzard's Liscensing policy is that you maintain a "T" rating when creating productions from their games.

I personally will read that as allowing some cursing, but not to go overboard. >>

It means we get 1 token f-bomb per episode!
(05-11-2012, 02:02 PM)RTM Wrote:
(05-11-2012, 07:27 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: I actually looked into this a bit, and even though the game is rated "M" part of Blizzard's Liscensing policy is that you maintain a "T" rating when creating productions from their games.

It all depends on how excited I get! There may even be episodes where you don't hear me cursing at all! Sometimes it happens. Tongue

Or, more likely, you'll just hear me do what I do at work and substitute in other words for what I really want to say. Wink So, maybe we should tell folks to expect random "Cheeseballs!" and "Son of monkey!" "Monkeybutter" also makes frequent appearances. I can totally keep it clean for the kiddies! Well, 85% of the time
Intolerant monkey.
My favorite non curse word: Poopstick

My Brother in Law called my Grandmother a poopstick.
Her response was hilarious, and definitely PG-13 Smile
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(05-11-2012, 02:40 PM)Treesh Wrote: "Son of monkey!"

This makes me think of all kinds of jokes involving Lurkers and their kids what with how you are always calling Lurkers monkeys. Primarily made me want to say something like "But Vinnie doesn't have a kid yet!"
(05-11-2012, 02:02 PM)RTM Wrote:

[Image: funny-cat-pictures-lolcats-i-beg-your-pardon.jpg]

Sorry.