A few ideas of how to save D3
All this PvP discussion reminds me of why I like to do my PvP elsewhere than MMOs or Diablo. I much prefer FPS for even-up combat, or, I like WWII flight sims, where your equipment may not be exactly even all the time, but there's a fair amount of skill involved in who wins.

When the main element of winning is 'how long did you farm for this' I'm really not interested, and D3's shaping up to be MMO-like in that. Good luck to those who like it.
--Mav
There is skill in Diablo PvP. Sure, it's not the only factor (gear, latency, and just plain luck also are factors), but if there was no skill involved, anyone could just match up against anyone and they would have equal chances at victory assuming their gear level is the same - but that isn't the case. Someone who knows PvP mechanics better, or just plain knows how to move and predict his opponent better and/or is more experienced, will usually win. As far as gear goes, well, the only solution there is to go up against people who have a similar item tier and level to your own. As a serious PvP player, I like a fair and equal duel where it just comes down to skill, latency situation, and just plain luck - so I would only duel with people whose gear is roughly equal to mine. PvP is fun at high levels if the players are equal, and there is a strict set of rules and code by which we play.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Let's see: if I have five different classes, and try to get each one to Hell or Inferno Diablo and succeed, and I play with due regard to my RL obligations, I look to have about a year and a half of fun out of this game, minimum.

I see no problem.

Fun is where you find it.

Ashock: appreciate your perspective, as we each seek something slightly different from a given game.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(06-01-2012, 03:45 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Let's see: if I have five different classes, and try to get each one to Hell or Inferno Diablo and succeed, and I play with due regard to my RL obligations, I look to have about a year and a half of fun out of this game, minimum.

I see no problem.

Fun is where you find it.

Ashock: appreciate your perspective, as we each seek something slightly different from a given game.

Occhi:

If you dedicate 2-3 hours/week to this game, then yeah... you might get a year out of it.

If you play 10 hours/week or more, you won't even come close. No way to prove it to you of course, until you prove it to yourself.
(06-01-2012, 07:22 AM)Ashock Wrote: If you play 10 hours/week or more, you won't even come close. No way to prove it to you of course, until you prove it to yourself.
I dunno. He seems to play more casually than me. My biggest is 34 after 3 weeks, and I have a level 10 that I only play with a group once per week (2 weeks old). Also, I expect progress is a diminishing return, so I would perhaps hope for level 40 in 2 weeks, level 50 in an additional 3 weeks, and level 60 in 4 weeks more. That would be 12 weeks per character times five. More than a year to get five to level 60 for a casual player...
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-01-2012, 08:20 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 07:22 AM)Ashock Wrote: If you play 10 hours/week or more, you won't even come close. No way to prove it to you of course, until you prove it to yourself.
I dunno. He seems to play more casually than me. My biggest is 34 after 3 weeks, and I have a level 10 that I only play with a group once per week (2 weeks old). Also, I expect progress is a diminishing return, so I would perhaps hope for level 40 in 2 weeks, level 50 in an additional 3 weeks, and level 60 in 4 weeks more. That would be 12 weeks per character times five. More than a year to get five to level 60 for a casual player...

If you can play that many characters and not get bored by this game, more power to you.