Magic scaling?
How well does magic scale in D3? I recall destruction magic being... ineffective later on in Skyrim. Nothing like pounding a position from afar with enough fireballs (perked up) to incinerate the landscape and slag metal armour, and still seeing stuff alive. Even the master level lightning spell (perked up) wasn't all that great; and lightning seemed to have issues hitting a stunned/stagged target. Was playing a level 61-62 conjuration/destruction mage.

Guess I'm wondering if the mage is a viable D3 char. Considering maybe getting D3, but just wondering.
All skills are % based off weapon damage now. Some benefit from fast (more attacks for procs), some benefit from slow (less resource per damage), but all the classes have damage that scales. If some are out of whack, it's a simple matter to change the %.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Diablo and Skyrim are so different that it is not even worth thinking about thinking about comparing them. Magic has always been pants in The Elder Scrolls, whereas it has traditionally been over-powered in Diablo.

61-62? Modded Skyrim? I am pretty sure the game caps out long before then, and only if you max every skill.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
It scales based on gear. However, in Skyrim you can pretty much become a god of all and completely untouchable. Not gonna happen in D3 unless you like farming in lower difficulties than you belong.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.