(Non-existent) Combat Log
I was thinking about this today, and came to the realization that with combat numbers turned one, one could write a utility that takes screen caps, and if taken frequently enough, could generate a decent combat log from that.

Or another approach would be to record the session you want to log, and have a program post-process it to extract all the relevant information.

I know there's been numerous conversations about the "effectiveness" of Warden, and how much (if any) it can actually detect. If the first approach is taken, is it potentially ban-worthy? The second one seems safer, but less likely to be able to give you real-time(ish) stats.
(06-11-2012, 06:05 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: I know there's been numerous conversations about the "effectiveness" of Warden, and how much (if any) it can actually detect. If the first approach is taken, is it potentially ban-worthy? The second one seems safer, but less likely to be able to give you real-time(ish) stats.

There haven't been any conversations on the effectiveness of Warden here that I'm aware of, but based on some of the whining I'm seeing on other forums today (day of first wave of bans), it would appear the Warden is more capable than people expected.

However, all of those things were for something that actually did something in-game. Logging and not actually doing anything in-game with that information is probably not going to be a problem.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
(06-12-2012, 10:40 PM)Concillian Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 06:05 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: I know there's been numerous conversations about the "effectiveness" of Warden, and how much (if any) it can actually detect. If the first approach is taken, is it potentially ban-worthy? The second one seems safer, but less likely to be able to give you real-time(ish) stats.

There haven't been any conversations on the effectiveness of Warden here that I'm aware of, but based on some of the whining I'm seeing on other forums today (day of first wave of bans), it would appear the Warden is more capable than people expected.

However, all of those things were for something that actually did something in-game. Logging and not actually doing anything in-game with that information is probably not going to be a problem.

Sorry, what I meant about Warden conversations, was the internet in general, not this specific board.

After watching some more videos on youtube, it seems do-able, but the numbers can really fly, so the program would have to be really precise.

At the end of the day, it'd be easier for Blizzard to give us a combat log, then it would be to try to post-process or screen-scrape one.
If I were coding it, I'd intercept the I/O stream and log whatever I wanted before it was ever displayed. Yes, it would be nice if Blizzard would just do it for us and add a little optional window and/or a hot key to view it.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-14-2012, 06:58 AM)kandrathe Wrote: If I were coding it, I'd intercept the I/O stream and log whatever I wanted before it was ever displayed. Yes, it would be nice if Blizzard would just do it for us and add a little optional window and/or a hot key to view it.

Data Interception is definitely one of the easier ways to do it, but the closer you get to the "easy ways", the closer you would get to upsetting the Warden, I would assume.

I thought about trying to code something up quickly, but I don't think my hardware would run that well with it. It's pretty old, and barely runs D3 the way it is.