Devil in the Details Podcast - Episode 8
Episode 8 of the Devil in the Details Podcast. Wherein we indulge in the zen-like qualities of the Monk, we discuss the possible effects of upcoming game changes, and some snakes send me into a rage.

Mp3 Direct Download can be found Here!
Another good episode. The discussion on the Monk largely reflects my own experiences and opinions of the class. I still cannot decide on a build, because there are too many choices --- that is where you want the class to be (and the exact opposite of the Demon Hunter, where I have skill slots I cannot find anything to fill)! I have only played in Normal so far, but my experiences are of running into the middle of enormous mobs, kicking butt, then running into another. One time, I ran into a mob and saw a caster at the edge of my screen. I used the flying kick and attracted more attention, but saw another caster, and repeated. I had around half the zone coming at me after repeating that again, then stood there and took them all out. Great fun; definitely would kill be at higher difficulties Tongue Normal was way too easy, but the Monk at higher difficulties does seem like it could be a lot of fun. My early concerns with the class, however, are that it would struggle to put out damage. Perhaps it is because I am more used to the Demon Hunter and Wizard, but it seems to have few powerful attack options, and you cannot really use them often, leaving you to rely a lot of the low-damage Spirit Generating attacks. Again, that is just my very biased line of thinking without the experience to back it up Wink
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I'm waiting on the mp3 download or server maintenance. Whichever comes first. : )
I believe server maintenance is due today, so I am betting on that Tongue
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(06-12-2012, 05:03 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: I believe server maintenance is due today, so I am betting on that Tongue

Working on the Mp3 download now. Hopefully this server maintenance will fix these huge lag spikes. Terrified to play my HC tourney character when the game randomly shoots to 2k ping across the whole server.

Speaking of which have the Mp3 downloads been working out well? I know some people have been using those specifically so I hope it's a fairly harmless process.
Great podcast and thanks for the mp3 downloads. I absolutely use these when I'm mobile browsing. Youtube is far less reliable in this scenario as it tends to reset or lose the buffer on longer videos.
MaxPower#1485 60 SC Barb/32 HC Witch Doctor/22 HC Wizard/17 HC Demon Hunter
Sorry I couldn't make it this week! Honestly, I'm kind of glad- I made it as far as 'Monk love-fest' and turned it off. I don't need to be tempted to play another class! I need to make it to Inferno on at least one class so I can join everyone else in complaining about its difficulty. Wink
(06-12-2012, 01:25 PM)RTM Wrote: Sorry I couldn't make it this week! Honestly, I'm kind of glad- I made it as far as 'Monk love-fest' and turned it off. I don't need to be tempted to play another class! I need to make it to Inferno on at least one class so I can join everyone else in complaining about its difficulty. Wink

MONK! You know you want to. MONK!

Monk.
Intolerant monkey.
(06-12-2012, 05:18 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Speaking of which have the Mp3 downloads been working out well? I know some people have been using those specifically so I hope it's a fairly harmless process.

They have worked well for me though I actually just watched the youtube version this time. It seems to be working out that if the servers are down then I watch the youtube version and if they are up then I grab the mp3 and listen while playing.

Wanted to comment on the Scoundrel a bit. A think a lot of the issue people are seeing with him is that he simply fills a niche that they aren't building towards. I don't mean damage either which gets mentioned sometimes. The niche I see for him and where I use him is crit. He has an aura that increases critical strike rate. There are several classes that have abilities that trigger off of crit. Right now I don't really see a lot of people (I should note that I do know of some who are though) pushing builds that really boil down to crit synergizing. I suspect that as time passes some more of those builds will crop up though and that will be where the Scoundrel becomes the preferred follower. When the core of your build centers around getting crits as often as possible in order to enable various procs on your abilities, you want the Scoundrel.