Hey, here is one way to get more voter support
So the general consensus on these boards is for America to do it's own rules lawyering, and hope Mexico changes as a result of our actions? Because to imply Mexico can simply be ignored in the hopes they miraculously vanish one day is a bit like waiting everyday for the end of the world... sure, it may come... someday. But using that same analogy, I suppose it never hurts to be prepared, and ignoring the issue won't solve anything. Like I keep saying, the US can fix all it's internal problems, but that won't get rid of the pesky neighbor syndrome. But I suppose if these opinions really are a reflection on the greater outlook in the states, then this is exactly what's going go happen: we "fix" drug problem and institute radical new sweeping immigration policy reforms and wait for Mexico to change on it's own. Mexico has some relief because of this, but overall corruption does not change because all the key-players work for drug lords, who, because of the "new" drug laws, start selling illegal "generic" drugs, essentially turning Mexico into our next-door India. It will solve NOTHING long term! And its so obvious... but I forget, legislation through crisis/out of sight, out of mind.

This is in response to Jester.
Sorry, I'm posting from my droid. I hope this comes out correctly.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(07-06-2012, 06:18 PM)Taem Wrote: So the general consensus...
Is there one?

I guess for me, when it comes to neighbors or nations I'm a "live and let live" kind of person. As long as they are not otherwise causing harm -- which when it comes to neighbors or nations, the first step is to call in the proper authorities. Only if and when they prove ineffective would you ever go vigilante, and take matter into your own hands.

When it comes to the illegal drift of drugs or poor people across that border, like I said, we are only in control of our side and we have the obvious choices I listed before. When it comes to their side of the border, we can have influence, but not control (unless we occupy them as we have done elsewhere in the world).

Finally, we should recognize that there are the powerful elite on both sides of the border that gain advantage from the current situation of abuse and exploitation. I would like us to see them as people, and not a pariah, or a voting bloc.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]