Theory on Resolve
Just a quick idea that I am going to put on my list to try out, or someone else can try it out.

Theory 1)
Any skill that does not proc life on hit will not apply resolve.
Any skill that does proc life on hit will apply resolve.

Theory 2)
Resolve is scaled with Life on Hit coefficients.

I need to think about how to appropriately test this, but that's my current theory. Thought on how to test are appreciated.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Go someplace you can get hit a lot in inferno, or at least not get mobbed. Wretched Mother quest and before, most likely. Turn on damage numbers, remove any +life regen items, un-equip your weapon (or just have a very low ilvl/dps one), take a few hits from a mob and write down the numbers. Hit the mob and see what your life-on-hit recovers (again, easy against zombies as you can avoid their attacks). If life-on-hit worked, continue beating the zombie and see what kind of damage numbers are done to you, compared vs. the original set.

You'll have to be careful to not have any skills that change your stats when you attack/get hit/etc - no Keen Eye, no Quickening, etc. Given a pen, some paper, and some patience, it isn't too hard to do these tests now that you can see exactly how much damage is being dealt (instead of requiring you constantly read the health number from the character sheet).