Hardcore etiquette?
I recently started playing Hardcore, teamed with another Aussie. As we did the Hall of Agony tonight we had out first loss. We ran into some Elite Berserkers and were both Vortexed in. I popped Smoke Screen and got back, but he (Monk) panicked, hit the wrong button and used Cyclone Strike, draining his Spirit and making sure he was trapped between them and some white mobs. He died almost immediately after.

I was not sure what the correct etiquette was here. He created a new Monk in a new game, so I joined, gave him the items that I had picked up in that last dungeon level (for later), then helped him quickly kill through old content, passing any blues that dropped there. Was this what is `done' in the hardcore community?

Is there any other common etiquette in the community I should know?
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Standard etiquette in public games? There's a new one.
There is some etiquette in hardcore games, although yes, you'll find some people who don't know it and have to be shunned a bit to get them in line.

Regarding your situation, Elric, that was very nice of you. A simple, "Oh, man, that sucked" would have been enough. But if you enjoyed playing with him, that was a really good idea. You might have made a friend that you can party up with down the road, too.
-- Tell people when you are going back to town
-- Avoid idling too much. Leave the game if you are; don't make it harder for them
-- Inform people of trapped rooms. (1-safe 2-dangerous) Just say 1 or 2; instead of just nonchalantly waltzing out of the dungeon so unsuspecting people will go in.
-- Ask before clicking on someone's banner-- that could save your life
-- Do not run ahead for no reason. If you see a goblin, tell everyone and coordinate properly. Do not chase him into an elite pack and get everyone killed, causing some profanities to be uttered at your screen.
-- WAIT and confirm that everyone is ready before even attempting to start any event.
-- Coordinate the pace. Do not rush people, and on the other hand don't go too slow either. Forcing anyone to play out of their comfort zone will get you all killed.

However, besides that, just survive. :p I have to admit to abandoning teammates in tough fights because I would have died, but I think you should do everything possible to help people if you can especially if you suspect someone is lagging and needs some time bought.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Elric's a Canadian at heart. Wink