US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(07-09-2012, 05:52 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I know this is [sarcasm] and all, but is anyone suggesting that parents should actually do this?
No. I'm complaining because it seems that I get dragged into a talk on sexual things at least weekly now.

As a parent, what do you do with this?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(07-09-2012, 11:40 PM)kandrathe Wrote: As a parent, what do you do with this?

You laugh. Tongue
--Mav

I...what...sigh.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.

I take my son to Burger King and we eat our Whoppers while watching Spongbob, because that commercial was awesome. I don't even like Whoppers.

Now I'm sure you meant to show a link between marketing to kids (Spongebob and Burger King) and using sexuality to do so (the parody of the original song), but the commercial you linked removed pretty much every sexual connotation that the original song has and replaced it with something hilarious to kids. Square butts are funny to children - imagine if Real People had them! Seriously, none of the women in the video were dancing or dressed in a sexual way. It's equivalent to fart jokes.

Square butts Smile

(07-09-2012, 11:40 PM)kandrathe Wrote: No. I'm complaining because it seems that I get dragged into a talk on sexual things at least weekly now.

Other Lurkers can correct me if I'm wrong with my impression here. You seem to post "solutions" to problems mostly by saying "society must change to meet my wants and needs and here's a lot of links to stuff that supports my view that society must change" but none of it actually boils down to real and practical solutions that are actually feasible within the framework of the society we live in.

Also, you reply to the talks of sexual things so people reply to your replies.

My brother and I grew up on Ghostbusters. Every third word out of Bill Murray's mouth is an innuendo of some kind. We seem to have turned out fine - what little sexual content we noticed, we ignored, until we were much older, and then looked back on it as being hilarious.

As The Who said, the Kids Are Alright.

-Jester
(07-10-2012, 05:28 AM)Jester Wrote:

My brother and I grew up on Ghostbusters. Every third word out of Bill Murray's mouth is an innuendo of some kind. We seem to have turned out fine - what little sexual content we noticed, we ignored, until we were much older, and then looked back on it as being hilarious.

-Jester

That's kind of like the whole big deal people made over Katy Perry's cleavage on Sesame Street. My (at the time) 6 or 7 year old boy didn't even notice her, and anyone old enough to actually care...was old enough that it shouldn't have been an issue. And yes, my kids know Ghostbusters very well. Tongue
--Mav
(07-10-2012, 05:28 AM)Jester Wrote:

-Jester

Exactly, I'll even do you one better...remember all those Merrie Melodies that we saw growing up as kids (anyone born before '85), or for those younger, Animaniacs? Those had some of the biggest in jokes for adults around. Innuendo is out there, some of it's is subtle, some of it is not. It's the not subtle things that you need to explain to your kids (as they likely won't get the subtle things till they're older). Simply, as Jester here, DB, and others have said, parents need to parent and not foist it off on someone else to do.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Love it. We went from a in depth discussion on universal healthcare to THE TALK in one thread.
(07-10-2012, 12:37 PM)Lissa Wrote: those younger, Animaniacs

Related.
(07-10-2012, 04:11 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Other Lurkers can correct me if I'm wrong with my impression here. You seem to post "solutions" to problems mostly by saying "society must change to meet my wants and needs and here's a lot of links to stuff that supports my view that society must change" but none of it actually boils down to real and practical solutions that are actually feasible within the framework of the society we live in.

Also, you reply to the talks of sexual things so people reply to your replies.

Yes.

Also,

[Image: think_of_the_children.jpg]

From physical healthcare talk to 'moral' health. Oh but wait, that must be the cool people looking down and persecuting the 'Good People' that cares about decency. Nay, moral decency! Any criticism you say just reinforces how persecuted I am.

Yep. Bril. Liant.

What was the original topic at hand by the way? Oh right. Sponge Bob. What an insidious way to market birth control products to children! I mean come on, Sponge? Bob?! Do I have to draw you people a picture?!!11

But seriously, the important thing is we're no longer discussing Obamacare\aka The Death Panel Project.
(07-10-2012, 03:48 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: From physical healthcare talk to 'moral' health. Oh but wait, that must be the cool people looking down and persecuting the 'Good People' that cares about decency. Nay, moral decency! Any criticism you say just reinforces how persecuted I am.
I'll reply here, but its to Deebye, Jester, and Mav, and etc. as well.

I'm far from a "Moral decency" person here, and in fact I think people are "labled" such whenever they address the topic of practicing self control on what we can general call public expression in public places. As a parent, I'm describing my experiences, which I can only reflect upon from my own childhood, which may have been naive and sheltered, I don't know.

Jester made the charge, and continues to stand by the idea that things are as they've always been, so what's the big deal? Everyone has chimed in with a "Yeah, me too, I watched Pepe' La Pew growing up and I didn't become a French masher"

My response was to link to actual studies by psychologists and the APA who state that we have a culture that is increasing impacted by their increased participation in media whether that is violence, sexuality, vulgarity, or commercialization.

Your anecdotes may be more accurate than actual research.

We got here because someone suggested that someone else "Grow a Pair" -- to which someone became offended with the implication that positive attributes such as courage, tenacity, and assertiveness require testicles. I tend to expand things into the general, and stated my observations on our society. To me, it's not limited to that phrase, but to a general trend of vulgarizing our culture. I've tried to back up my stated perception with actual studies to show this from the APA, and etc.

We have the freedom to fart loudly in public, but I hope we have the good manners and muscle control to refrain. It's this unwritten law of self control which applies to that space we share, whether its a public commons, the commercial air waves, or the internet. What we don't need is a law prohibiting flatulence.

Quote:But seriously, the important thing is we're no longer discussing Obamacare...
What's to discuss? We will do as the government tells us.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(07-10-2012, 05:24 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Jester made the charge, and continues to stand by the idea that things are as they've always been, so what's the big deal?

I would go a great deal further than that. I think that, in almost any respect one cares to measure, we are safer, happier, healthier, more inclusive and more respectful (in the sense of *everyone's*rights being respected....) than at more or less any point in history.

Quote:My response was to link to actual studies by psychologists and the APA who state that we have a culture that is increasing impacted by their increased participation in media whether that is violence, sexuality, vulgarity, or commercialization.

You linked to one study, based entirely on self-reporting questionnaires given to kids (that is, not linked to any outcomes, no actual data on violence, sexuality, or anything else), that showed that there is a strong-ish correlation among (self-reported) exposure to media, violence, and vulgarity. Given that this study explicitly makes no claim about causality (and could not in any case), and their result is intuitively obvious (badly parented kids are more prone to almost all bad behaviours), I don't see how this comes within a country mile of proving your case.

(Ah, right. And a generic link to the APA. Missed that. But those aren't studies.)

-Jester
(07-10-2012, 07:13 PM)Jester Wrote: (Ah, right. And a generic link to the APA. Missed that. But those aren't studies.)
There's more meat there. I'll provide links to some specific studies.

(07-10-2012, 05:24 PM)kandrathe Wrote: What's to discuss? We will do as the government tells us.

The majority of your country democratically voted for the people in your government. You clearly want your government to tell you what to do.
(07-11-2012, 05:00 AM)DeeBye Wrote: You clearly want your government to tell you what to do.
I would agree that the majority of people have elected people who will tell other people what to do. None of the rules apply to the people we actually elect. I think it would be also accurate to speculate that most people want the government to tell some of the people what to do. I suspect it's very NIMBY -- "Tell them what to do, but not me". The winners and losers are decided by the strength of your special interest lobby (ergo money invested).

(07-11-2012, 05:52 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I would agree that the majority of people have elected people who will tell other people what to do. None of the rules apply to the people we actually elect. I think it would be also accurate to speculate that most people want the government to tell some of the people what to do. I suspect it's very NIMBY -- "Tell them what to do, but not me". The winners and losers are decided by the strength of your special interest lobby (ergo money invested).

I absolutely and wholely agree with you on every point.
I missed this on the first pass.

(07-10-2012, 05:24 PM)kandrathe Wrote: We got here because someone suggested that someone else "Grow a Pair" -- to which someone became offended with the implication that positive attributes such as courage, tenacity, and assertiveness require testicles. I tend to expand things into the general, and stated my observations on our society. To me, it's not limited to that phrase, but to a general trend of vulgarizing our culture.

If you generalized from my comment that it was the vulgarity of that figure of speech that was offensive to me, you failed to take in my objection. I was not objecting to the oblique mention of testicles. I was objecting to the sexist nature of the figure of speech. I linked it to a racist figure of speech (that has blessedly gone away) to try to make that point clear.

Vulgarity is something that is both ubiquitous and undefinable. Look up the source of the word. What we all should be teaching our children is where to use language. Appropriate language for the locker room doesn't belong in grandma's presence and vice versa. The shorthand English of texting is inappropriate for corporate emails and vice versa.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Shadow, I wish I could say with a straight face that stupidity is inappropriate content for corporate emails, but if that were true, the servers could mostly be shut down. Tongue

All texting is, to me, is yet another version of stupidity that has become a fad.

See also polyester shirts, 1970's vintage.

As to "affordable health care ..."

You can mandate that it be affordable, but how do you actually pay for it?
Show me the money. Heard a lot of talk, however.

The legacy of UNFUNDED MANDATES is profound in this nation.
NoFreeLunch is rarely understood by liberal arts majors.

Had to deal with no few of them (unfunded mandates) when I was an active DoD person, and it's even harder to deal with at the local level in regular communities.

As the rest of my family are all liberal arts majors, I'll let the rest of this go.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(07-13-2012, 12:29 PM)ShadowHM Wrote: If you generalized from my comment that it was the vulgarity of that figure of speech that was offensive to me, you failed to take in my objection. I was not objecting to the oblique mention of testicles. I was objecting to the sexist nature of the figure of speech. I linked it to a racist figure of speech (that has blessedly gone away) to try to make that point clear.
Yes. Sometimes it can be both, but I realize it was the sexism which is more offensive. I think at the Lounge we try to maintain a less than R rating.

Quote:Vulgarity is something that is both ubiquitous and undefinable. Look up the source of the word. What we all should be teaching our children is where to use language. Appropriate language for the locker room doesn't belong in grandma's presence and vice versa. The shorthand English of texting is inappropriate for corporate emails and vice versa.
I wish I had said it so succinctly. Our language issues as a society often arise when we are clueless heedless of situation and context.

I miss a few weeks at the Lounge, and everything goes crazy! Wink

Re: Children - I have none, so I'm not super-qualified for this topic

Re: Sexism - Already covered this, but I'll double-down with the fact that there are a lot of subtly sexist / racist phrases (ex: 'gypped' ) that exist in common usage that I try to make a conscience decision to avoid, so I'm sorry I missed this one.

Re: Elections - People vote for people (candidates) who are supposed to tell other people (everyone) what to do, but in turn are actually told by others (corporations) what they (candidates, again) have to do.

Re: Healthcare - The news seems to have super-died down from this. The Mainstream media / political circuit officially has some form of Attention disorder (no disrespect to people that actually have ADD/ADHD)